Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 4 Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think perhaps the community overestimates the impact of its goodwill on EA's finances...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Sparks wrote: »
    And honestly, I don't see BF5 being a 2015 title unless they've already started in on it somewhere. These AAA titles take too long to develop. 2016 maybe?

BF5 or BC3 (more likely) is almost certainly already being worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

BF5 or BC3 (more likely) is almost certainly already being worked on.

BC3 would be a possibility but will they go back to the clunky movement mechanics of bad company 2, i.e. Not being able to go prone or keep the movement much the same as bf3 and bf4 i wonder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

I agree that what Battlefield 4 is sorely lacking on are some decent Rush maps.
    I've heard BC2 had the best maps for this game mode. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The amount of grenades is annoying especially in Rush as everything starts shaking, it gives me a headache sometimes. They had mini grenades in MOHW but they were 3 small grenades attached with a string so you got a bigger blast radius but it meant you would throw all three at once. It worked much better. But MOHW is spectacularly well balanced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭BordorFox

Most people forget that EA own quite a number of Developer studios, DICE LA have been working with the Battlefield series for a long time given they made the Vietnam Add on and most of the Battlefield 4 DLC to date, including the upcoming Dragons teeth and final stand.

What is been rumoured is EA will be branching out the Battlefield series to a number of these studios the same way Activision has 3 studios working on separate call of duty titles in tandom with each other so releases come prompt. BF3 took nearly 7 years to develop and EA i would imagine does not want to have such a long development cycle for the series like that anymore.

Two such studios are Criterion and visceral, who have both been rumoured to already be working on the BF series, rumours are saying it's bad company 3 or a police based spin off. Each of these studios are EA owned and have full access to the frostbite engine and all models and work from dice and have so for a long time, even the need for speed games use frostbite and that's criterions ballgame. Ea wants a piece of the COD apple and annualizing Battlefield makes perfect sense for them.

EA has a strong relationship with Disney and when Disney obtained the rights to star wars it was only a matter of time they ordered DICE to work on Battlefront 3 to be released in time for the new movies ($$), and took most DICE SWE team off battlefield 4, not that it made much difference, the game was and is a quality nightmare but EA have taken over the dice forums and i'd say told them to let their PA zombies handle the outcry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Is there a boards platoon for PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

fl4pj4ck wrote: »

Just applied,

Will get two of my mates to join aswell.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I think perhaps the community overestimates the impact of its goodwill on EA's finances...

Well at the moment yes,but how many are going to pre order/go premium on the next bf game?

No fallout can really be seen till the next game in the series,i bet they wont sell as many at launch as they have this time. People pre ordered this time(me included) on the basis that they hyped the game up to be something special which it clearly wasnt,not on a design level but on a functional level. People wont forget that,i know i wont. Its actually one of the only reasons i do not own Titanfall,becuse EA published it.

I do realise i am probably in the minority in that sense but if enough do it it will maybe at least make them think twice before pushing a game out before its ready

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Akrasia wrote: »
    If all 4 of you were having problems on the same server, it's probably a poor connection to the server. Was it a west coast USA server?
    Maybe there are people joining the game from china or somewhere that's screwing up the latency for everyone.

Or maybe the server browsers are mis-reporting the connection quality, the server browser has had all kinds of problems since launch so this would be very believable)

Probably a good idea to try a few different servers if you're rubber banding, there's no point in sticking with it if it's unplayable.

As regard people from outside europe joining a european server i couldnt tell you if they did,but me and all my friends had the server filter set to europe,always do.

Without changing the filter we decided to play second assault and china rising,rubberbanding totally dissappeared!!

This is the sort of stuff im talking about:

I still get it on some vanilla maps and on naval strike,the previous 2 expansions are no where near as bad. For anyone not interested in watching the whole vid the relevant bit starts at 7:30.

However im still gonna play the game because there really is no other game out there for me that gives the same feeling. If it were fixed and balanced it would be the pinnacle of FPS games imo,as much as BF3 had its problems its still the most complete FPS ive ever played which saddens me a little cause BF4 could have been even better:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

EoinHef wrote: »
    me and all my friends had the server filter set to europe,always do.

I always filter the servers down even further , I'll only play on English or dutch servers , maybe German at a stretch , but never French or Spanish or Scandinavian as my connection is never even half as good . Now that maybe a throwback to days gone by ( Tac-Ops , CS and UT ) but I do notice my pings are doubled to the other European Countries .

EoinHef wrote: »
    Well at the moment yes,but how many are going to pre order/go premium on the next bf game?

Most of them will, because in general consumers are idiots.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

But in the world of "herd marketing" , the opinion makers count for a huge amount. "Mavens" (As Malcolm Gladwell refers to them) are people who often tip the balance of "opinion". They're vital for new technology because if they decide that something looks "dumb" then a whole load of "me toos" are going to jump on that bandwagon.

If the prevailing "wisdom" is not to buy BF5 before finding out if its any good, then a sizeable chunk of people will decide that that is the "smart" thing to do. Now, it will always sell because there will always be new players and EA's marketing drive combined with its publishing arm is very powerful, but its definitely something that would hurt their bottom line.

The problem is that you need to see even that far to strategically plan for things like that and inside EA, I'd say most people are not focused on the "good of the company" and certainly not the "good of the players" ... its much more likely about building personal empires and that means very short term goals. Even at the directors level, the focus is on the next earnings/profit numbers... not the numbers 3 years from now.

Long term (and that tends to mean anything past the next set of yearly accounts) planning is becoming something of a lost art. Most of the people who would be doing it are not planning to be around to see the fruits of that sort of planning. You are asking them to cut their numbers this year (making them look superficially bad) in order to bolster someone elses numbers some time down the line. Thats just not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I'll be completely delighted if Naval Strike isn't out on PC until next week, because the parts for my new PC are due to arrive Wednesday/Thursday :D

I'll be completely delighted if Naval Strike isn't out on PC until next week, because the parts for my new PC are due to arrive Wednesday/Thursday :D

Quiet you! :mad:

:pac::pac::pac:

It's his fault! Get 'im! :pac:

It's his fault! Get 'im! :pac:

TorchGang_thumb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

deco nate wrote: »
    Ns is out now on xb1

This whole thing gets more laughable by the minute. First it's delayed until early April for quality reasons and then gets released two days later???

PMSL :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Is delayed until early April for quality reasons on the PC. There was some other problem for the Xbone version.

Wow but some clans really don't run servers well.
    "No explosives allowed in this round!"
    Half-way through, they change the rule, tell noone, suddenly their side has guys racking 200 kills from throwing nades and following up with AEKs. And then they get all stroppy when you point out that that's not exactly fair...
    Harumph.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Wow but some clans really don't run servers well.
    "No explosives allowed in this round!"
    Half-way through, they change the rule, tell noone, suddenly their side has guys racking 200 kills from throwing nades and following up with AEKs. And then they get all stroppy when you point out that that's not exactly fair...
    Harumph.

It's always been like that though. They ban stuff when it suits them, like no stingers or AAs when they want to fly the chopper. But, if you get in the chopper then they'll either 'Admin kill you' or shoot you down with a stinger or AA.

Shotguns banned? You better believe one of the server admins is running around with one.

Squads could be back in bf4 soon, images below from reddit show squads beta on bf4 on ps3

Battlefield-4_Squads_01.jpg

Battlefield-4_Squads_02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

533MB update coming through now , Battlelog down 'Update in Progress'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

jonski wrote: »
    533MB update coming through now , Battlelog down 'Update in Progress'

NS would be several gigs in size, I suspect they've decoupled the already planned patch contents from it, and are rolling that out instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Spear wrote: »
    NS would be several gigs in size, I suspect they've decoupled the already planned patch contents from it, and are rolling that out instead.

On Xbox one the patch came the day before, probably the same on pc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

It was 4.5GB on PS4

Advertisement