Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Types of Hearing Aids

Options
  • 27-09-2013 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

wondering if someone could advise me on hearing aids, my dad recently got ones for his ear, they are like this type, however one of the main problems he has is putting them in - he struggles and therefore won't put them in if i'm not about to do it for him. is there any other type he can get which would be easier to put in, or is there a type that you can sleep with?

I know nothing about hearing aids at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You can't get ones that he wears when asleep, as they'll end up waking him up should his ear lie against the pillow, due to feedback.

There is a knack to putting them in your ear, and once he gets the knack, he'll be able to put it in his ear and take it out with ease.

If he holds the (ear) mould part with index and middle fingers and his thumb, at the top, bottom and side of the mould, and push it into his ear at a slight upward angle. Once in the ear, use only his thumb at the bottom of the mould to press it softly into a firmer fit.

Taking it out, use his index finger to pull it out slightly, then use is index, middle finger and thumb to finish taking it out.

See if any of his mates is a regular user of a hearing aid, and see if they'll show him.

Finally, give him a reason to use it. There'll be a "T" switch on the hearing aids, and if you get him some T-coil headphones, so that when he can listen to the TV and radio very clearly, I'd say he'd want to put the hearing aids in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Moulds might be a poor fit. Make sure the tip isn't wider than the rest of the bit that fits inside the ear canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

If the ear skin is a bit dry a little vaseline would help the mould to slip in more easily. Be aware that too much vaseline can clog up the mould tubing.

Advertisement