Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finn "Prince Devitt" Bálor Thread (Raw Spoilers ahoy!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Last name I can think of that wasn't changed was CM Punk and look how that worked out...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

But haven't WWE already said (along with Devitt) that his name is Fergal Devitt now? It was different with KENTA, he was just called KENTA when he signed due to the fact that's how most people knew him (especially in Japan, where it was announced). Also, I highly doubt KENTA didn't have a lot of say in the name change

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    But haven't WWE already said (along with Devitt) that his name is Fergal Devitt now? It was different with KENTA, he was just called KENTA when he signed due to the fact that's how most people knew him (especially in Japan, where it was announced). Also, I highly doubt KENTA didn't have a lot of say in the name change

The only reason he was called Prince Devitt is because the Japanese audience was expected to have trouble with Fergal. Personally, I think if he comes in as Fergal the best he can hope for is comedy crap with Hornswoggle because Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I wouldn't be too convinced that a name change is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

TBH if I spent my life hoping to get into the WWE I'd learn how to do a passable American accent so I wasn't so restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Same guy who can't speak any Japanese after 8 years there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Last name I can think of that wasn't changed was CM Punk and look how that worked out...

Sheamus?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

harney wrote: »
    Sheamus?

Didn't he used to use Sheamus O'Shaughnessy? It's not his birth name anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

An File wrote: »
    Didn't he used to use Sheamus O'Shaughnessy? It's not his birth name anyway.

Seamus O'Shaughnessy.

WWE added the h to Seamus so Americans could pronounce it after "reading it off the page" so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I forget, what was he using in FCW? Was it just Sheamus or was the O'Shaughnessy bit there too?

• Advertisement

I could be wrong but I think they dropped the O'Shaughnessy as Kofi was big on the "SOS" at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

He was Sheamus O'Shaugnessy in FCW, then got tuned down to Sheamus because they couldn't pronounce the surname...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

rovert wrote: »

That looks deadly

Whopper news that it is actually being shown on RTE.

Fingers crossed the tone and presentation of this is going to show the neh sayers that there is so much credibility in pro wrestling and more importantly in Irish pro wrestling. Hopefully they the doc shows a parallel between the achievements of Devitt (and Sheamus/ Becky) worldwide to the UFC boys plying their trade in "big time" MMA who are getting serious mainstream respect and kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The guy behind it is a wrestling fan with a strong CV for production outside of wrestling, have a look at the Finlays documentary he produced beforehand (linked in the Balls article) and you'll get an idea of his style. I heard about this a few months back and have been following it since, I think this is going to be Irish wrestling's equivalent of 'The Notorious' documentary and every bit as good. Hopefully it opens the door for others. Keep an eye on the YouTube channel from the initial teaser, he's going to be releasing more clips over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

He is legit. Can't wait for that.

NWA-Ireland and Irish Whip Wrestling breaking bread

https://twitter.com/WWESheamus/status/512355935361052672

Leaders of the new school: Sami Zayn, Hideo Itami, Adrian Neville, Fergal Devitt and Kevin Steen talk to WWE.com about their generation
    http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/wwe-nxt-sami-zayn-adrian-neville-fergal-devitt-kevin-steen-hideo-itami-interview-26641720

XQLQZ5f.jpg

Worth the read. So many name drops of other Indie talent and a funny GFS reference.

There's another taping this week. Hopefully as ever Devitt debuts and as
    Itami's tag partner to even up things with The Ascension

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Welp, they have decided to change his name. His name at NXT will now be Finn Balor. Yes, Finn Balor. What an awful name. There are also rumours he may be involved in the taping tonight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Welp, they have decided to change his name. His name at NXT will now be Finn Balor. Yes, Finn Balor. What an awful name. There are also rumours he may be involved in the taping tonight.

Awful name!! Finn is grand but Balor... Shudder!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Loughc wrote: »
    Awful name!! Finn is grand but Balor... Shudder!!

Really wish in instances like that wrestlers spoke up (assuming they didn't like it), your heart must drop when you hear that name. HHH and Foley both spoke of been given names that they didn't like and got changed. Surely Devitt could tell them that isn't remotely Irish sounding and given them an alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fionn_mac_Cumhaill

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balor

Chances are that Finn is a reference to Finn McCool/Fionn Mac Cumhaill. I shouldn't need to explain who that is in Irish Mythology.

In Irish Mythology Balor was the king of a group of superhumans that wreaked destruction whenever his eye opened, and it was also used for someone who brought death or was deathly.

So it is an Irish name.

Finn the Deathly/Deadly One.

They basically gave him two mythological Irish warrior/legend names back to back and found an Irish way of calling him "The Deadly Warrior" or "The Deathly Warrior".

Unless this is actually explained in some way when he debuts, the reference will go over 95% of people's heads and they'll just think its another silly sounding Irish name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I don't think it's that bad to be honest. It's a bit cringey but like any of the names they come up with, you'll get used to it after a while. Dolph Ziggler is still the worst name ever, though Adrian Neville is also a terrible effort IMO. I'd be more interested in what kind of a character he'll be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Sirsok wrote: »
    Really wish in instances like that wrestlers spoke up (assuming they didn't like it), your heart must drop when you hear that name. HHH and Foley both spoke of been given names that they didn't like and got changed. Surely Devitt could tell them that isn't remotely Irish sounding and given them an alternative
    What happened with hhh n foley?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

People seem to be automatically presuming that Devitt had no input in the name at all. :p

Mankind was originally to be called Mankind the Mutilator.

I wonder will be get go the way of Big and Cesaro and after a while drop either Finn or Balor. If he keeps the paints and is a bit enigmatic I think Balor could suit brilliantly.

I’ve heard a lot about Vince actually being the guy that names most the wrestlers. I remember Ahmed Johnson in his shoot telling about his naming. He said he went into Vince’s office which was full of books (he commented about how smart and well-read Vince was). Vince told him had he read about this great Arabic warrior Ahmed and he saw Johnson as a complete warrior. He tagged on Johnson because it is a common name amongst Black people in America.
    Sounds a bit like where Finn Balor might have come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

at least there seems to be a reason behind it. Rise above the name fergal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

How do you pronounce Balor? :confused:

'Bah-lurr' or 'Bay-lore' or something else?

Advertisement