Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finn "Prince Devitt" Bálor Thread (Raw Spoilers ahoy!)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

*Cough* qOze0.gif *Cough*

Watch next week's episode and tell me if Sin Cara ever came off like the way Balor does.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But Sin Cara has improved. It's like he's a new man. :)

The question is, do we want him pushed or prefer to earn his way to the top? Reigns or Daniel Bryan/Punk?
    Of course I know he's more talented than Reigns but seems if they try to push someone too hard on to the fans, they don't accept it. Though again, those guys aren't usually the "internet darlings" if you'll forgive the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

CastorTroy wrote: »

The question is, do we want him pushed or prefer to earn his way to the top? Reigns or Daniel Bryan/Punk?
    Of course I know he's more talented than Reigns but seems if they try to push someone too hard on to the fans, they don't accept it. Though again, those guys aren't usually the "internet darlings" if you'll forgive the term.

Difficult question to answer. Some guys catch fire really fast, think Goldberg, think Lesnar.

Others have to grind for years.

I reckon he's WWE Champion by 2017. And i'll stand behind that.

He's going to be pushed to the top. He's major project for Triple H. We need to get over the Sin Cara, Punk or Bryan crack. Believe me. Or at least reserve option until you watch next week's show. He's the clear heads and shoulders #1 guy in developmental.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Difficult question to answer. Some guys catch fire really fast, think Goldberg, think Lesnar.

Others have to grind for years.

I reckon he's WWE Champion by 2017. And i'll stand behind that.

That'd still be very fast.

Think that the Shield guys have been on the main roster for over two years. And Rollins & Ambrose were in developmental for over two years & 18 months respectively before that.

And only now - 4 to 4 and half years after signing are they near the top of the card - not Champions yet.

• Advertisement

duuuaaaane wrote: »
    That'd still be very fast.

Think that the Shield guys have been on the main roster for over two years. And Rollins & Ambrose were in developmental for over two years & 18 months respectively before that.

And only now - 4 to 4 and half years after signing are they near the top of the card - not Champions yet.

On foot of the most recent taping that begins next week I was genuinely told by someone who would know that Devitt will be called up before Zayn or Neville. All the news reports about being promised that he wouldn't be staying long in NXT are legitimately true.

There's mixed reports about that albeit by less clued in people. As in it would be better for the NXT brand for him to be there for a while. But the lack of depth on the main roster almost demands him to be called up and quick. AGAIN watch next week's show and come back to me. He apparently comes across as a complete and then some act. He's wasting his time and abilities in developmental.

rovert wrote: »
    On foot of the most recent taping that begins next week I was genuinely told by someone who would know that Devitt will be called up before Zayn or Neville. All the news reports about being promised that he wouldn't be staying long in NXT are legitimately true.

There's mixed reports about that albeit by less clued in people. As in it would be better for the NXT brand for him to be there for a while. But the lack of depth on the main roster almost demands him to be called up and quick. AGAIN watch next week's show and come back to me. He apparently comes across as a complete and then some act. He's wasting his time and abilities in developmental.

I agree that he'll be called up earlier - I've spoken to people in WWE who have pretty much said he's only in NXT to learn how to work for TV, not to sit in the Performance Center for months. This could be seen by the referees instructing his every move at the end of his debut.

It's getting to that spot is very difficult. Look at Daniel Bryan, he came in, was over with the same people that Bálor will be with, had the in-ring skills better than any of his opponents but very quickly found himself in meaningless feuds and fans were somewhat uninterested.

It's easy to see now that Bryan is funny and charasmatic but much like Bálor, he's kind of quiet outside the ring and it's hard to engage with that. It wasn't until they turned Bryan heel and eventually he found the Yes/No angle that he became comfortable - the Kane tag angle being in the mid-card and basic comedy allowed Bryan to relax and really get into it with a bit of the pressure off and now two years later, before his injury, he was everything of a huge star.

Bálor has everything he needs right now but if he's going to make it passed that and to the top of WWE he needs a lot more. It's just a matter of how long it takes him to find it, no doubt he will, but you can't put your finger on how long that will take.

Remember when they thought Orton had everything, then they put the belt on him and realised "****! Not yet!" and it damaged Orton's credibility for a few years, it took him maybe 2-3 years to get that back on track. So I hope they take their time with Bálor until he is ready to go 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

He's going to be pushed to the top. He's major project for Triple H. We need to get over the Sin Cara, Punk or Bryan crack. Believe me. Or at least reserve option until you watch next week's show. He's the clear heads and shoulders #1 guy in developmental.

I'm not doubting his abilities. I'm just saying how guys like Reigns, etc were pushed on us which caused people to push back. While guys like Bryan or even Guerrero were brought in and their spots at the top felt earned as they worked their way up.
    But like I said, Devitt has the ability to back up his push, unlike some of the bigger guys they push straight away.

Meant to ask, separete from talking about Devitt, but with Zayn appearing on Main Event, is that considered being brought up, or is that just a step above the equivalent of working a dark match since only those in attendance and those who have the ability to see NXT will see him. And is it just a test for him in front of a main show live crowd and JBL/Cole commentary?

Meant to ask, separete from talking about Devitt, but with Zayn appearing on Main Event, is that considered being brought up, or is that just a step above the equivalent of working a dark match since only those in attendance and those who have the ability to see NXT will see him. And is it just a test for him in front of a main show live crowd and JBL/Cole commentary?

I wouldn't call it a call-up to the Main Roster, even on his tweet before hand he said he was representing NXT.

Main Event is still shown on television across Europe and with Zayn wrestling on those dates it could just be to get his face out there in the week that they are touring.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'm not doubting his abilities. I'm just saying how guys like Reigns, etc were pushed on us which caused people to push back. While guys like Bryan or even Guerrero were brought in and their spots at the top felt earned as they worked their way up.
    But like I said, Devitt has the ability to back up his push, unlike some of the bigger guys they push straight away.

Not saying Devitt will do brilliantly based on this but I think if someone got a Reigns like push but could back it up in the ring then the fans would get behind it (or atleast would not turn against him behing pushed so much). The reason people pushed against a Reigns push is that both on the mic but particularly in the ring he wasn't ready for it. You can cover up someones deficiencies on the Mic a lot easier than you can in the ring. Eventually a Reigns or whoever will have to have big long 1 on 1 PPV matches if they are going to be a star and that is something (Devitt can do) he is not currently seen as being able to do instead he is still just suited to the explosive moments in mufti-man matches and his small repertoire of moves.

Unless he is given no character a la Rocky Miavia I think Devitt / Baylor's in ring ability will get the fans on his side and if he already has the booking committee behind him thanks to HHH he can go far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Clemantis

duuuaaaane wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it a call-up to the Main Roster, even on his tweet before hand he said he was representing NXT.

Main Event is still shown on television across Europe and with Zayn wrestling on those dates it could just be to get his face out there in the week that they are touring.

The Ascension lads did the same, so you can't really see it as a call-up.

Not saying Devitt will do brilliantly based on this but I think if someone got a Reigns like push but could back it up in the ring then the fans would get behind it (or atleast would not turn against him behing pushed so much). The reason people pushed against a Reigns push is that both on the mic but particularly in the ring he wasn't ready for it. You can cover up someones deficiencies on the Mic a lot easier than you can in the ring. Eventually a Reigns or whoever will have to have big long 1 on 1 PPV matches if they are going to be a star and that is something (Devitt can do) he is not currently seen as being able to do instead he is still just suited to the explosive moments in mufti-man matches and his small repertoire of moves.

Unless he is given no character a la Rocky Miavia I think Devitt / Baylor's in ring ability will get the fans on his side and if he already has the booking committee behind him thanks to HHH he can go far.

BH nailed it. Devitt is a World travelled act that can get over first night in front of different crowds and in different situation. AGAIN watch next week Devitt actually blew away the conceptions of even one of the people who tried to recruit him to WWE in Rob Naylor. He really did slay. Reigns on the other hand wrestled a bit in FCW/NXT in front of tiny crowds and then was hid in expertly put together tag matches. They are two completely different stories.

On the whole Bryan thing. He was signed when Johnny Ace was in a charge and when there was a huge disconnect between Talent Relations and Creative. Now Triple H is in charge of Talent Relations and is involved with every other aspect of the company. Triple H is the one who signed off on signing Devitt. Triple H is the one who wants NXT to be a success and to be perceived as a success. NXT is his audition to run WWE when Vince McMahon moves on. It is in Triple H's interests to make Devitt a success. Even just a cynical ploy to get smarks/internet/hardcore fans on his side as a PR tactic.

I don't know what will happen when Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn sees him quite honestly. That is what it is. But I do know Triple H is fully behind Devitt.

BH nailed it.

:cool:

anyway... How does one type a fada? honestly I copy and pasted for the thread title, googled it and I don't have an alt gr button so...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,704 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Alt Gr = á

Alt Gr + Shift = Á

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

:cool:

anyway... How does one type a fada? honestly I copy and pasted for the thread title, googled it and I don't have an alt gr button so...
    ctrl+alt+the letter should do it.

áó

Ahh I had to change it to an English (Irish) keyboard setting then do the above, cheers fellas... this important for the future of non Lazy folk typing Baylor so still on topic ;)

But yeah when you think about even the music they gave him they def seem to think they have a potential future star in Fergall / Finn (tbh thats half the battle at times) and being the clean cut guy he is he is less likely to mess things up for himself if they do get behind him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Looking forward to his promo more than anything else right now.

What he can do in the ring is well known, he is well travelled but not someone we have heard much from with a mic in his hand.

He comes across well generally I promos and not as a carny wrestler but if he has that ability to be an entertainer/engaging speaker in the ring he is away with it.

But yeah when you think about even the music they gave him they def seem to think they have a potential future star in Fergall / Finn (tbh thats half the battle at times) and being the clean cut guy he is he is less likely to mess things up for himself if they do get behind him.

They should have kept his New Japan babyface music :p

Himself talks:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I just can't take to Kenta at all at all. I'll give him another few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

I just can't take to Kenta at all at all. I'll give him another few weeks.

A few weeks christ with his background it really should be six months to a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Finn Bahhlor.

They got it wrong. Ugh

Rewatched it on the Network. You can just about make out Devitt pronouncing it the same way the commentators did.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The pronunciation works, sounds like Valour so its easy to repeat and sounds good when used as a single name if WWE ever go that way like Cesaro.

NXT house show debut:
    https://twitter.com/yanosov616/status/531277259131600896

One last thing about his TV debut. As I said pages ago his parents were in attendance. But where they were sat in they were likely the first people he saw. :)

B17f_j1CMAEdiyk.jpg

You can spot them during Bailey's entrance. They're standing up when she hugs a kid beside them.

Probably a bit of a rhetorical question but has any mainstream media here picked up on his WWE signing and debut? Can't recall seeing anything when Becky debuted and there was very little when Seamus won the WWE title in '09

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

We've been all over it at balls.ie but sweet FA elsewhere (a couple of sites put up token articles plagiarising our stuff trying to nick hits when he got signed). Watch them all jump on the bandwagon and pretend they were in on him since the start when he really breaks out though. He deserves the attention, it just irritates me how you're talking to a wall with these people until they see an opportunity to get attention for themselves then act like they've always been fans (see McGregor, Conor). The RTE doc will be his big arrival nationally.

Bálor's promo this week was very babyface which belies his intense facials.

Not sure the name should be pronounced 'bah-ler' but whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Ageyev wrote: »
    Probably a bit of a rhetorical question but has any mainstream media here picked up on his WWE signing and debut? Can't recall seeing anything when Becky debuted and there was very little when Seamus won the WWE title in '09

The Irish Independent had an interview with Becky Lynch in the Fit Magazine they used to have out on a Thursday when she signed with WWE developmental.

• Advertisement

Have you a scan of that Raven? Or a link if it's online?

Advertisement