Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finn "Prince Devitt" Bálor Thread (Raw Spoilers ahoy!)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The Irish Independent had an interview with Becky Lynch in the Fit Magazine they used to have out on a Thursday when she signed with WWE developmental.

I suggested Becky, Devitt and Conor McGregor to the then editor of Fit Magazine. Conor jumped at the chance and Devitt turned it down as he always did with Irish. The writer of Becky's piece Katy Harrington fell in love with Becky which lead to them keeping in contact and the bigger Irish Independent piece when she did leave these shores. Kay was going to a year on follow up piece in the Summer but seemingly lost patience with getting an article down via the WWE press office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

How were you in a position to suggest to the editor of a magazine that comes with one of the national newspapers what should be included in the publication, are you a journalist or something? Better be careful in case any of us are getting used as source material if that's so! :)

How were you in a position to suggest to the editor of a magazine that comes with one of the national newspapers what should be included in the publication, are you a journalist or something? Better be careful in case any of us are getting used as source material if that's so! :)

Bebo. :p The editor was good friends of someone I went out with secondary school and friends with one of my friends at home. Suggested follow.

I know a lot of people in the Irish newspaper/magazine, advertising, marketing and PR game in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Ageyev wrote: »
    Have you a scan of that Raven? Or a link if it's online?

I'll have a look I might have a copy kept somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Recent Interview with London & Kendrick listen @ the 1:28 mark to hear who they think is the best wrestler in the world at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Is it Fergal Devitt by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

JTG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The entrance has so much potental if he tones down some of the moves.

The way his name comes up, the lighting...that's awesome, and I can imagine there'll be some people marking out when he uses it to interupt Cena :P

Not setting up for disappointment for his prospects on the main roster at all here:

B2b6_5TIQAA1Uq6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I see nothing wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

His match was great for a proper debut. He's so smooth in ring and clearly holding back at the moment too. That music..class.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Nice of him to hold Becky's belt for her as well.

Nagata is the guy who Regal is referring to when he talks about people in Japan telling him that Devitt is special from an early stage and to look after him if ever made it to the States:

https://twitter.com/nagata769/status/533424116737396737

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

he can't be long for nxt. wouldn't look out of place on team cena at survivor series

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

rossie1977 wrote: »
    he can't be long for nxt. wouldn't look out of place on team cena at survivor series

Night after WM imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Said it before and I'll say it again: he'll be in the Rumble. Like Rusev, he'll debut properly then down the line.

rossie1977 wrote: »

Two things on that one.

The night when last Thursday's edition of NXT was taped I was told by someone who knows everyone in NXT that Devitt was going to debut before Zayn and Neville. He's the clear #1 guy there.

Was going to post this on Wednesday but NXT hadn't aired yet and I didn't want to get into any confusing talk and spoil the Neville/Zayn match and the direction Neville's character is taking for anyone. Bryan Alvarez said he would have gone a different more experiment direction for Survivor Series given it is free and on the Network. The Authority would over the course of November take out all of Cena's likely team mates. Then advertise that Cena would have to face The Authority alone (everyone would just think Super Cena would win anyway :p). Then at Survivor Series Cena announces to crowd he went down to NXT and found some people: Balor, Itami, Zayn and Neville.
    leggo wrote: »
    Said it before and I'll say it again: he'll be in the Rumble. Like Rusev, he'll debut properly then down the line.

I'll give my predictions on that one after NXT Evolution. The outcome of the NXT title match will make the three horse race between Neville, Zayn and Balor more clear and will tip the hat on future plans in a real clear way. At the moment I don't see Balor debutting or being showcased on fecking Main Event or having a Royal Rumble cameo. I think he will be hyped with vignettes with a big full time main roster debut. He's a major Triple H project like the Wyatts, Kharma, Sin Cara etc so I think his debut will be as definitive. Yes you can counter The Shield were a Triple H project too but you know what I mean.

Cameos mean nothing in the long run, nor would his storyline involvement in NXT at the time. Rusev got the whole package build-up as if we'd never seen him after his this year (see also: Dallas, Bo). If anything, it's the fact that he's a Triple H project that has me thinking they'll give him the exposure on a big PPV where they can just have him look strong then put him back into their back pockets until they're ready to go full on with him.

Think about it this way: there'll be slots to fill in the Rumble, and if Vince turned to Triple H and said, "Who do you think is ready to do something?", would Balor not be one of the first names on the list? And, knowing his worldwide reputation, do you think Triple H would love to prove to Vince that he was the real deal by having him enter to a HUGE surprise/recognition pop?

Zayn and Neville will never main event in WWE full time. Balor can, one day. He gets the nod.

I can definitely get your thought process there.

WWE Network and the internet in general has really changed things from the "Countdown to Y2J" days. But his first Raw appearance should be kept special and "old school".

Balor and JoJo could front one heck of a RTE mid afternoon show

B2k1Du0IEAAhwhR.jpg

"Coming up after the break"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

rovert wrote: »
    Balor and JoJo could front one heck of a RTE mid afternoon show

B2k1Du0IEAAhwhR.jpg

"Coming up after the break"

Nxt usen the old wwe logo rather then the new one! Strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Nxt usen the old wwe logo rather then the new one! Strange!

Think it's down to the fact they haven't replaced all the banners and stuff yet. It's hardly noticeable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,704 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

One of the Dot com editors today picked Bálor as his one for the Future pick.
    Finn Bálor is going to be a massive star for WWE, because the guy already is a star. He looks like one, he carries himself like one and he is capable of communicating the fact that he is one. It’s not just the blistering offense or the angular European soccer star aesthetic that make him such a sure thing. It’s the “I belong in the main event” self-confidence that really translates. It’s the same poise that runs the tightrope between arrogance and assuredness that has made Seth Rollins such a commodity. Bálor can morph from underdog highflier to arrogant jerk with ease. And, like Rollins, he’ll have the same mass appeal as Jeff Hardy without any of his unfortunate faults.

It remains to be seen if Bálor is going to be able to sell himself on the microphone — always the biggest question with an international talent entering WWE. But he already proved himself to be a wildly charismatic figure during his stint as the head of Bullet Club in New Japan Pro Wrestling. If he can recreate that craze in WWE — and, believe me, he can — the Bálor era may await. — RYAN MURPHY

If you've got an imagination and quiet charisma like Fergal's, though, being amazing on the mic isn't essential. You can create that intrigue in so many other ways. Mic skills are considered useful because it's how wrestlers have sold angles and personal issues in the past, but it doesn't mean that it's the only way to achieve that goal. As said above, he did that phenomenally with Bullet Club while not being able to even speak the language of the audience fluently. You just have to change the playing field somewhat, shift attention some other way.

Look at how he did it on the indies: by creating intrigue about how he'd dress up in body paint each week. That got people in the door, then people want to see him wrestle anyway, so when he works a phenomenal match, people leave feeling satisfied and want to come back for more down the line. That's exactly all of the boxes ticked without even needing to work a mic once. Being surrounded by Dusty Rhodes etc daily will only help that develop, so when he adds that string to his bow and figures out a way to connect with the crowd (think Daniel Bryan and "YES!"), boom, job done.

leggo you are dead on. Personally I am totally "In Fergal We Trust" but WWE is different ball game WWE writers will most likely pitch ideas and storylines which will require lots of writing/dialogue so to justify their jobs. For that reason you do need to be able to talk to be in the WWE top mix.

Actually forget In Fergal We Trust and just go with this:

B2qhSwpIUAE7SkJ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

*Simpsons edit*

That is amazing, why didn't I think of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

He is the most befitting person of another Crow type angle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The best Personas in wwe over last few years play up to peoples perceptions of them. Underdog Bryan, Heel Punk, Authority Triple H, Authority Steph, Lesner, Crazy Ambrose, Cocky Rollins.

Can a mysterious persona come off like the above or end up cheesy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Bebo. :p The editor was good friends of someone I went out with secondary school and friends with one of my friends at home. Suggested follow.

I know a lot of people in the Irish newspaper/magazine, advertising, marketing and PR game in general.

Bebo baby, Bebo. Always handy to have an ear in the media, especially if you're working away on something yourself. It is very good to see someone who clearly loves wrestling and just wants the best for our native talents doing his best to help.

Advertisement