Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance Help?

Options
  • 28-09-2013 4:36am

Hello,

Ive had my provisional for over a year and a quarter and I am planning on doing my test next month and I am pretty confident that I will pass. But I am wondering my dad got a new car and his old one is a 1.6 Mazda MX -5 he is not using and he said I could have it. But I am wondering if its even possible for a 18 year old, 1 and a bit years experience, Student can get insurance for a '93, 1.6L car? I dont mind paying for the insurance its more that I get the insurance itself.

Thanks.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

You will always get a quote from done insurance company. You won't get it for less than €2000 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

It'll be difficult and expensive, but you could think about taking an advanced driving course (like Ignition) or install a blackbox system (like SmartDriver).

Aviva have a special deal for young drivers:

6 months free accompanied driver insurance when you buy 10 lessons, if you have a family member with Aviva.

Lessons cost €33 per hour.
    http://www.aviva.ie/online/driving/driving-school/

SmartDriver from No Nonsense:
    http://www.nononsense.ie/cheap-car-insurance/smartdriver/

Liberty Insurance also claim to offer young driver insurance.

More than likely, most of the insurance companies that offer young drivers insurance will require you to drive accompanied by an experienced license holder.

You could also look into named driver insurance, where a family member, for example, adds you to their insurance policy.

jma wrote: »
    It'll be difficult and expensive, but you could think about taking an advanced driving course (like Ignition) or install a blackbox system (like SmartDriver).

Aviva have a special deal for young drivers:

6 months free accompanied driver insurance when you buy 10 lessons, if you have a family member with Aviva.

Lessons cost €33 per hour.
    http://www.aviva.ie/online/driving/driving-school/

SmartDriver from No Nonsense:
    http://www.nononsense.ie/cheap-car-insurance/smartdriver/

Liberty Insurance also claim to offer young driver insurance.

More than likely, most of the insurance companies that offer young drivers insurance will require you to drive accompanied by an experienced license holder.

You could also look into named driver insurance, where a family member, for example, adds you to their insurance policy.

For the named driver I think we will be doing that but what would we have to do? because currently the Mazda is not insured so its sitting in our driveway at the moment I'm insured on my mom's car which I don't really want to drive any more as its a Mitsubishi space star and not handy as she needs it for work and I need a car for college.

Thanks,

Daspendy

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

For the named driver I think we will be doing that but what would we have to do? because currently the Mazda is not insured so its sitting in our driveway at the moment I'm insured on my mom's car which I don't really want to drive any more as its a Mitsubishi space star and not handy as she needs it for work and I need a car for college.

Thanks,

Daspendy

Your mom or dad would probably need to insure the Mazda separately, so that one of them would be the policy holder, and you would need to be put down as an additional, named driver.

This should work out a lot cheaper than you going by yourself, but the risk is that if you need to make a claim, your mom's or dad's insurance premium will go up on all of their insurance policies, unless you purchase a policy that has a no-claims bonus protection. The other downside, as far as I know, is that at least some insurance companies will not count your named driver experience towards no-claims bonuses, but you might want to look into that, since no-claims bonuses will take a considerable amount off your future policies.

jma wrote: »
    Your mom or dad would probably need to insure the Mazda separately, so that one of them would be the policy holder, and you would need to be put down as an additional, named driver.

This should work out a lot cheaper than you going by yourself, but the risk is that if you need to make a claim, your mom's or dad's insurance premium will go up on all of their insurance policies, unless you purchase a policy that has a no-claims bonus protection. The other downside, as far as I know, is that at least some insurance companies will not count your named driver experience towards no-claims bonuses, but you might want to look into that, since no-claims bonuses will take a considerable amount off your future policies.

Thanks for the info I'm a pretty cautious driver so I think they'd be happy with me driving on their policy and if I remember correctly on aviva if I crash it doesn't effect my parents claim bonus or something close to that. But I will do some research before I commit to any company.

Thanks,

Daspendy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The main driver of the car should be the policy holder. If you're going to be driving it, not your parents - then you need your own policy.

Also if your parents already have their own cars, then they can't use their NCB if they were to insure this car to put you as a named driver. They would essentially have 0 NCB for this policy, unless they find some insurer to mirror it, which would probably mean changing insurer for their own car. And again, it would mean their NCB would be gone if you were to crash or have a claim.

The main driver of the car should be the policy holder. If you're going to be driving it, not your parents - then you need your own policy.

Also if your parents already have their own cars, then they can't use their NCB if they were to insure this car to put you as a named driver. They would essentially have 0 NCB for this policy, unless they find some insurer to mirror it, which would probably mean changing insurer for their own car. And again, it would mean their NCB would be gone if you were to crash or have a claim.

Yeah looks like ill have to pay the full. Thanks for the help =)

Advertisement