Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redoing my tank

Options
  • 28-09-2013 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Thanks to a very kind boardsie who has agreed to rehome my goldfish i will have an empty tank after tomorrow. I've learned a lot since I originally fell for the salesman's pitch that a 30L tank would be big enough for a goldfish (or three). Two years, one enormous goldfish, and more water changes than I can count later, I am determined not to make the same mistake again.

So no goldfish or other fish that grow large.

Am I right in thinking that the best thing for a tank that small is to put a heater in and add some neon tetras? Or should I consider something else? Also the water that is in the tank is obviously cycled. Am I better off leaving that water and filters or do I have to start from scratch if I'm changing to warm water.

Last question - how many fish for such a small tank? I'd ask in the pet shop only they told me 4-5 goldfish would be fine so they are clearly not to be trusted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

aniascor wrote: »
    Thanks to a very kind boardsie who has agreed to rehome my goldfish i will have an empty tank after tomorrow. I've learned a lot since I originally fell for the salesman's pitch that a 30L tank would be big enough for a goldfish (or three). Two years, one enormous goldfish, and more water changes than I can count later, I am determined not to make the same mistake again.

So no goldfish or other fish that grow large.

Am I right in thinking that the best thing for a tank that small is to put a heater in and add some neon tetras? Or should I consider something else? Also the water that is in the tank is obviously cycled. Am I better off leaving that water and filters or do I have to start from scratch if I'm changing to warm water.

Last question - how many fish for such a small tank? I'd ask in the pet shop only they told me 4-5 goldfish would be fine so they are clearly not to be trusted.

Changing the temperature actually improves the biological function of your filter as the bacteria metabolise and breed quicker in warmer water.

Leave the filters as they are. For a 30lt tank i'd recommend a 150 watt heater. 100watt would do, but the extra 50 gives you wiggle room in case of an exceptionally cold night, etc.

If you don't go the heated route, White Cloud Mountain minnows are small fish that live in cool water in the wild,m so need no heating.
    Some types of Danio or Killiefish would work well aswell.

You could try Dario Dario, being tiny fish, but these will ONLY eat live food, and will starve unless you can supply it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I find aqadvisor.com great for working out what you can and can't stock. In only 30L I'd probably go with some shrimp, but Killifish as suggested by CC are beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

kylith wrote: »
    I find aqadvisor.com great for working out what you can and can't stock. In only 30L I'd probably go with some shrimp, but Killifish as suggested by CC are beautiful.

Aye they are.

I have a Golden Wonder killiefish. Stunning thing he is.

OP: Killiefish are annual fish. Meaning most of them hatch, grow, breed and die all in one year, as they live in seasonal water holes in the wild.
    Golden Wonders are a bit of an exception as these are river based fish.

They're actually pretty good for people who don't have a plan for long-term yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

You could look at platys too. Great variety of colours but you do need to be prepared for their offspring, if you have male and females. They need heat though.

Advertisement