Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silverfish please help

Options
  • 28-09-2013 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I recently had a baby in a maternity hospital and noticed these insects in the bathroom at night. After a 5 night stay I came home and when I was unpacking my bathroom bag 2 ran out of it. This was 8 weeks ago and we have now found them in every room and started seek g baby ones this week.
    I have pest control coming out on Monday. I am getting every stitch of clothes in the house washed and vacuum packed before the powder is put down. I have a guy coming to quote me for filling in all cracks/spaces in walls skirting on Tuesday. I have put all food in my cupboards into zip lock bags and put basil/cloves and sage into each press.Is there anything else I can do?
    I'm so upset about this. I have a new little baby in the house and one of these things crawled out from under his play mat last night.
    Any help or advise would be very much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm no expert on pest control, but the most important thing for your peace of mind is to know that they are harmless.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They are usually attracted to damp so it is not unusual to see an occasional few in your bathroom.
    They are harmless but not pleasant,I hope you get it sorted:(

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MrsG09

Moonbeam wrote: »
    They are usually attracted to damp so it is not unusual to see an occasional few in your bathroom.
    They are harmless but not pleasant,I hope you get it sorted:(

Thanks for the replies. They are multiplying very quickly and we have seen them in every room of the house now as we'll as some baby ones. I can feel myself getting phobic towards them and I am finding it very hard after my c-section and with the new baby.

The hospital have been assuring me they will help me but so far have only agreed to help me pay for laundrette fees

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is horrific:(
    I can not believe a hospital has an infestation that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Sarn

I know the feeling, there isn't much to do beyond what you've done already. When I moved into my apartment it took me a while to notice them as they generally only come out at night. Once you do find them it is hard to forget about them.

Fortunately I don't have any carpets so it was easier to spot them. A permethrin powder left around cracks in the skirting boards and around the bath got rid of them eventually, but I can understand with a newborn around being reluctant to put down chemicals. They do tend to linger with the occasional one turning up dead once in a blue moon. Pest control should be able to sort it all out.

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    That is horrific:(
    I dcan not believe a hospital has an infestation that bad.

I just can't put into words how upset I am. The hospital keep assuring me they will help in every way they can buy keep delaying giving me confirmation they will pay costs.
    This is going to cost us an absolute bomb which we really don't have. These things come out at night and live in bathrooms and kitchens. They also love fabric and lay eggs in clothes. I'm afraid of them turning up in my sons bed or the baby's crib.

Sarn wrote: »
    I know the feeling, there isn't much to do beyond what you've done already. When I moved into my apartment it took me a while to notice them as they generally only come out at night. Once you do find them it is hard to forget about them.

Fortunately I don't have any carpets so it was easier to spot them. A permethrin powder left around cracks in the skirting boards and around the bath got rid of them eventually, but I can understand with a newborn around being reluctant to put down chemicals. They do tend to linger with the occasional one turning up dead once in a blue moon. Pest control should be able to sort it all out.

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure what to do about the chemicals. The pest guy is saying 'ah the kids will be grand' but I have to leave the powder on the floor for at least a day and I'm so worried about the baby sleeping in a room full of poison

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sarn wrote: »
    A permethrin powder left around cracks in the skirting boards and around the bath got rid of them eventually, but I can understand with a newborn around being reluctant to put down chemicals.

I see one or two every so often in the bathroom.

Where did you get that powder?

I might try it, to just clear the place out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Sarn

It's called Nippon Wood Louse Killer and I got it in Woodies as far as I remember.

The first morning after I put it down I went in to my kitchen to find a dozen dead silverfish in the middle of the floor so it definitely works. Don't use it if you have a cat as the permethrin in it can be toxic to cats. The quantities in it don't pose a risk to people, it's found in shampoos for head lice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Ant powder also works....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You can get little tins where you open a small hole on the side, the silverfish get attracted to it, go inside and are poisoned. Better than putting powder around the house.

http://www.aeroxon.de/en/products/kriechende-insekten/silberfischchen-koederdose.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I had this problem in work, Went to Mr Price they have the powder in a blow bottle for insects. WOW, It only mentioned silverfish on the bottle in one sentence it seemed mainly aimed at ants and beetles etc, but they never came back. Blow it into all the gaps esp around skirting boards. corners crevices etc. Woodies do the same stuff for 5 or 6 euro but the Mr Price stuff is just as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish

For anyone that's wondering if aliens have landed :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

:(

Advertisement