Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools in Shankill & Surronding area

Options
  • 28-09-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there
    We are moving to Shankill soon and I need some advice on Primary and Secondary schools in the area. Will be applying to all in Shankill but wondered what schools in the surrounding areas would you recommend? Many thanks for your advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

St Laurence College is a no go for a Secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

St. Anne's Primary School is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

St Laurence College is a no go for a Secondary school.

Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Alias G wrote: »
    Why is that?

I cannot find a link but it was on RTE news about an investigation into the school by the board of education about its poor standards.

I feel it is a very poor school. It has low standards in regard to results, does not promote extra curricular activities and seems to be the school of choice for the local troublemakers.

You could easily pass through the years and have your academic performance levels continually drop and not be noticed. I seen plenty of decent students turn from honours students to barely passing ordinary level subjects. As long as you stay out of trouble they are happy with you. In my leaving cert year there were 2 people doing honours maths out of roughly 70 people.

I am sure the school has improved since the I was there and the investigation. One thing for sure, I wouldn't send my kids there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I have to agree with Richard about St.Laurences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There's 3 primary, with St. Annes and Rathmichael(COI) having very good reputations, Scoil Mhuire is the other one, catchment area for St. Annes is kind of funny, we're very south Shankill and it's our local school, Corbawn and Rathsallagh would be for Scoil Mhuire.

St. Laurences is in Loughlinstown, there's lots of secondary schools in the area, any in Bray, Clonkeen, Oatlands, Blackrock etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I cannot find a link but it was on RTE news about an investigation into the school by the board of education about its poor standards.

I feel it is a very poor school. It has low standards in regard to results, does not promote extra curricular activities and seems to be the school of choice for the local troublemakers.

You could easily pass through the years and have your academic performance levels continually drop and not be noticed. I seen plenty of decent students turn from honours students to barely passing ordinary level subjects. As long as you stay out of trouble they are happy with you. In my leaving cert year there were 2 people doing honours maths out of roughly 70 people.

I am sure the school has improved since the I was there and the investigation. One thing for sure, I wouldn't send my kids there.

I know its not part of the main school but their 7th year programme is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

This Thread might also be helpful

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

themont85 wrote: »
    I know its not part of the main school but their 7th year programme is excellent.

That's for repeat Leaving Cert students and you pay for it, it's effectively a private school. Completely different type of student from a very different social class for the most part from the rest of the school. Effectively it's a different school for all intents and purposes.

In all honesty, CBC Monkstown is good shout for a mid ranged price boys school. The Junior School is the same price but Independent as well (a step beyond what secondary fee paying schools are). A lot of lads from Shankill, Killiney, Glenageary, Dalkey and the surrounding areas would go there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBC_Monkstown

Brand new building almost completed.

Extra curricular activities being Rugby, Cross Country, Athletics, Judo and Tennis. The school musical with Loreto Foxrock is well renowned at this stage with Amy Huberman, Rory Nolan, Laura Woods and other actors being apart of it. CBC's debating programme is one of the best in Ireland.

Academic results seem pretty good (from the website);
    Summary of the 2013 leaving certificate results. Congratulations to all our class of 2013 who achieved fabulous results in the leaving certificate. In summary, 27% of our students achieved over 550 points, while 41% achieved over 500 points. 57% achieved over 450 points with 73% achieving over 400 points. The average points per student in the leaving certificate since 2009 have increased by 38%.

Although points would seem to be the currency that students and parents deal in, the real judge of success is the
    success of the student getting their first preference course on the CAO, further information in relation to this will be put on our website. Students had outstanding success in numerous subject departments and credit should go to the teachers for their commitment and hard work

I also attended Johnstown Primary School and Clonkeen College and enjoyed both. Again both would have a lot of lads from those areas. Clonkeen is getting a rebuild as well. A lot of good GAA players have gone there and they have strong links to Cuala.

• Advertisement

That's for repeat Leaving Cert students and you pay for it, it's effectively a private school. Completely different type of student from a very different social class for the most part from the rest of the school. Effectively it's a different school for all intents and purposes.

I know that but you have to be fair to them as well.

Advertisement