Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ios 7 embedded Youtube crashes Safari

Options
  • 28-09-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Using the newest ipad with ios 7, clicking on any embedded you tube video crashes the browser. Only happening with boards. Happened with the initial release of 7, and the 7.0.2 update released this week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Using the newest ipad with ios 7, clicking on any embedded you tube video crashes the browser. Only happening with boards. Happened with the initial release of 7, and the 7.0.2 update released this week.

Thanks for the report, will hopefully be able to take a look into it today / tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Any update on this? Still happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Valkerie33

iOS browser still crashing with embedded youtube videos. So annoying. Any fixes in sight?.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Valkerie33

Good Evening from Canada...

Ive got to the stage where I'm no longer visiting Boards.ie on my ipad...

is there a simple fix I can Do on my end?

Cheers

Michael...aka Valkerie33

Apologies for the lack of updates on this til now. Haven't been able to recreate here on our end, which is making difficult to debug any potential issue.

I've encountered a lot of literature online which details issues with Safari on iOS7 where embedded YouTube videos cause Safari to crash due to issues / incompatibilities with the iPad YouTube App. So there might not be a lot we can do on our end to provide a fix unfortunately.

Will take another look into it when we get the chance, in the meantime could you potentially try a different browser and let us know if you're still encountering issues?

Thanks,
    Rónán

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

I'm still having these issues also, crashes safari even if I touch the embedded video even not looking to play it, touch the window and bang. Gone.

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    I'm still having these issues also, crashes safari even if I touch the embedded video even not looking to play it, touch the window and bang. Gone.

Is it just Safari you're experiencing these issues in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Tried a little troubleshooting using the trailer at the end of this thread:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87235937

First off, I deleted the YouTube app, and restarted (held the home and power buttons until the apple logo appeared). Still crashed.

Downloaded Chrome, restarted, and it still crashed.

Deleted Chrome, downloaded the Atomic Web Browser (paid version) restarted and, guess what? It still crashed.

I've reinstalled Youtube and am back on Safari. All were done on ios 7.04. Using the desktop version of the site.

I've reinstalled Youtube and am back on Safari. All were done on ios 7.04. Using the desktop version of the site.

Which got me thinking... no issues at all watching the same vid on touch.boards.ie. Also tried the most recent vids on the Bruce Springsteen thread in Gigs & Events and all worked fine with Safari on touch.boards.ie, and all crashed with the desktop version.

Which got me thinking... no issues at all watching the same vid on touch.boards.ie. Also tried the most recent vids on the Bruce Springsteen thread in Gigs & Events and all worked fine with Safari on touch.boards.ie, and all crashed with the desktop version.

I've loaded 3 different youtube videos from that thread in Chrome / Safari on iOS 7.0.4 on both touch and desktop with no issues, it's a strange one.

Interesting that it's working for you on touch though. Leave it with me and I'll take a look see how exactly we're serving those embeds on touch / desktop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Happening here too.... Ipad air on iOS 7.0.4.. Some, but not all of the videos on the "you toob" thread in the motors forum just crash safari. Videos on page 1 seem fine. Videos on last page are crashing safari. Also on chrome fwiw....most threads with embedded you tube videos seem to be crashing browser. Will continue checking.

Cheers
    Muppet man.

Is it just Safari you're experiencing these issues in?

Yes but that may not be of help. It's the only browser I use on the ipad as I don't like having no favourites tab on chrome

Deployed updates there 2 / 3 minutes ago that should hopefully resolve the issues described above. Everything seems to be working fine here on our end, but if anyone's experiencing any further issues please let us know.

Thanks for investigating and fixing. Any chance you could teach apple your work etiquette as regards fixing problems?!!

Cheers Rónán, very happy to say all is working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Yip, confirmed, all seems well for me too. Thanks Ronan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Resolved for me too, good work!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement