Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have to move to Dublin for Co-op, advice needed!

Options
  • 28-09-2013 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Found out I've got coop in Dublin starting in January!! I'm delighted but got loads of things to sort out ..... Number 1 being accomodation! My coop is with pwc and located at Spencer's dock.... From what I can see a very expensive area! Oh and I know no one in Dublin! Just wondering if anyone here has been on coop in Dublin and how they sorted accomodation and all that jazz! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

I had a longer reply but Boards spasmed out and I guess it didn't post - TL:DR; I'd go for the flats in Spencers Dock if I were you, I've seen other students working in the IFSC share a really excellent 2 bed flat on Mayor Street and get to spend 2 minutes a day commuting. I, on the other hand, went with a slightly cheaper apartment further away and it wasn't worth it once you factor in time, money and hassle involved in commuting. Keep in mind you'll be working insane hours from time to time at PWC, it's worth paying a bit more for close accomodation. Not many other places in the North side that aren't quite dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chicgroovy101

Thanks for the reply :) Cannot believe the price of accomodation in Dublin after a quick look on daft.ie!!! Since you've done your placement with pwc - what's it like? I'm pretty nervous about it as I wasn't expecting to get it in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Hi was in the same position as you 2 years ago (I feel old), same company, same problem with accom.

If you not an overly nervous type have a look at east wall, there is a apartment complex on east wall road that is nice enough and its a 5 minute walk from the office.

I lived in a house further down the road and I never regretted it, lovely area despite its reputation from 20 years ago. Close to the luas and the DB run 3/4 routes through the area that will bring you to the city centre. Plus the whole area is fairly good money wise

As for knowing people, pwc take on 15-20 co-ops so dont worry, there will be plenty of people in a similar position.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If rent is a major factor, remember that the IFSC is on the luas red line, which opens up plenty of options. The red line is the dodgy line, but there's still plenty of security present.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chicgroovy101

Thanks for the advice guys! Think I'm going to have to get over my fear of moving to the big city and chance a dodgy area to save a few pennies!! Oh and another question, is it too early to b looking for accom right now? I'd be thinking what landlord will promise us a house for January kinda thing? Am I totally wrong?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Thanks for the advice guys! Think I'm going to have to get over my fear of moving to the big city and chance a dodgy area to save a few pennies!! Oh and another question, is it too early to b looking for accom right now? I'd be thinking what landlord will promise us a house for January kinda thing? Am I totally wrong?!

Never too early, just cause they cannot have nothing available for jan now doesnt mean they wont have something closer too the date (last minute cancelllations, tenants moving out etc etc)

I dealt with a very good agency when i moved up there, pm me if you want me to pass on their details

Advertisement