Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i5-2500k 3.3GHz with stock fan (I think)

Options
  • 28-09-2013 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I'd like to dip my toe in overclocking my 2500k. People say it's very easy with these chips. I'm not sure about the fan that's on it, but here a pic (below). I'm thinking it's ok to bring it safely up to 4GHz?

photo.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

grizzly wrote: »
    I'd like to dip my toe in overclocking my 2500k. People say it's very easy with these chips. I'm not sure about the fan that's on it, but here a pic (below). I'm thinking it's ok to bring it safely up to 4GHz?

photo.JPG

The 2500k is a beast for overclocking. Here is my overclock:
    4CkAL.png

I don't use stock cooling though but I would imagine you would get to 4ghz just fine on stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Thanks for the reply. Could you talk me through the steps?

Thanks for the reply. Could you talk me through the steps?

I used the software that came with my motherboard as my motherboard is a good one. (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68VGEN3/)

Most motherboard manufacturers would have a similar solution though. What is your motherboard model?

It's a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3, Intel P67, ATX. I'll have a look on their site for something similar.

Gigabyte use easy tune for overclocking. You can get it here:
    http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Utility/motherboard_utility_et6_intel.exe

It's easy to use. Just install it and go to the tuner tab and set the various settings.

• Advertisement

Using the smallest of the overclock setting with this software gives me these settings.

bios.JPG

I'll leave it running like this for a few days to see how it goes. I'm hopping to get shorter waits in between Total War turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Dont use the motherboard software to overclock.It tends to use more voltage than is required to to run at set speeds.
    Since your using the stock cooler its not a good idea even for a 4ghz clock.Looking at that pic 50c is to high and 1.32v it alot for 4ghz.

Google for a guide for your cpu and mobo as there are lots of them.

Also download coretemp to keep an eye on temps and hwinfo to check volts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Using the smallest of the overclock setting with this software gives me these settings.

I'll leave it running like this for a few days to see how it goes. I'm hopping to get shorter waits in between Total War turns.

That voltage is wayyyyy too high. I'm using that kind of CPU voltage for 4.6 on a 2600K. Adjust the CPU voltage manually to 1.2v and set your multiplier to 40, this will give you the same clock as the auto overclock with much lower temps. (mine is in a sub menu called advance voltages, yours will be somewhere else)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Why is your blck at 102? Shouldn't it be 100. You should only be changing the multiplier and voltage.

If you bought a decent cooler you could push 4.5ghz+ easily. These are great assuming it fits your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

BloodBath wrote: »
    Why is your blck at 102? Shouldn't it be 100. You should only be changing the multiplier and voltage.

If you bought a decent cooler you could push 4.5ghz+ easily. These are great assuming it fits your case.

The auto OC features on these Sandy/Ivy/Haswell seems to push the BCLK for some reason, not sure why at all

• Advertisement
Advertisement