Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent help - MS windows 8 and email app - returned work computer to boss

Options
  • 28-09-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi,
    Left my job yesterday and returned my laptop with windows 8, windows 8 has an email icon which presents mail as it enters the gmail account. I forgot to disable this, don't want all and sundry viewing my personal mail account.

Can I disable remotely ?

Alternative would be to close the gmail acc and set up new one

Any help please would be great

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Just change the password on your gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭david4791

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for your prompt response, if I change the password will the next person to open my old laptop be asked to enter new password?

When the laptop is turned on it automatically offers email updates into the windows icon, will the password change stop that action so ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

MarkR wrote: »
    Just change the password on your gmail.

This will prevent the Windows 8 Mail app from receiving new mails but like previous Microsoft email clients (Outlook Express, Windows Mail), the Mail app does store emails locally in the EML format... so they can still read your old mails.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

For best results go back to the laptop and remove the account under Mail settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

This does not delete the EML files and contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Presuming you didn't leave under bad terms, ring them up on monday and ask them to delete the account? Changing the email address will only stop new mails going to the notebook.

Did you leave a password on your computer? Did they know it? They might be wiping it for reuse already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Can you tell them you had lost some files, and can you pop in check if they are on the machine. Then clear it. I wouldn't trust and IT dept to do it for me.

But changing you password would stop anyone messing with your gmail, if you can't do that. I'm not sure how critical contacts are, or indeed, if you have eml files.

Its a lesson for anyone else, to keep personal email accounts and work ones separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭david4791

100 % Beaufort that's what I've planned for tomor. It's a lesson for all

Advertisement