Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vw golf won't start

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Here's some diagram's to know what your at. Don't know you car very well, i've only a Mk IV VW myself. Could be something like the auxilary coolant pump running all the time. Just an example not saying it is or anything. Seems like your your using it right. You've .4 of an amp draw going on which would drain your battery in 100 hours. Sounds about right allowing for short journeys and the time between flat batteries. Alternators aren't great at charging batteries.

http://vwts.ru/electro/g5/g5_fuse_relays.pdf

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1797.0

after a 10 mile drive today it was up to 12.7, after another 10 miles or so I'm getting XX.XX V and just 2 minutes ago I'm getting 12.59.

I think you missed a bit in that sentence but looks like your altenator is working fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

whizbang wrote: »
    It sounds like you are on the right track there.

0.44 is lower than i would expect for a draw thats discharging the battery.

However if the fuses you are pulling, each mean a current draw of 0.11, 0.07, and .03.
    That looks about right. But keep going to see if you can find a bigger change.

Also check on the fuses you are pulling, to see if that circuit should be using any power at all.
    i.e. headlights, fuel pump, etc, etc

Ya I was expecting up in the 2. Something or 3. Something like your man in the YouTube I'm referring to is getting, tomorrow ill take better note of which ones are giving me a draw, write them down and also start with the fuse box inside driver door. Will have to disengage the door sensor aswell, will a sponge taped over it do? Don't have a clamp. Will have to get my hands on plastic clamps aswell to hold rods in place, will make a trip up to halfords one of these days.

Interslice wrote: »
    Here's some diagram's to know what your at. Don't know you car very well, i've only a Mk IV VW myself. Could be something like the auxilary coolant pump running all the time. Just an example not saying it is or anything. Seems like your your using it right. You've .4 of an amp draw going on which would drain your battery in 100 hours. Sounds about right allowing for short journeys and the time between flat batteries. Alternators aren't great at charging batteries.

http://vwts.ru/electro/g5/g5_fuse_relays.pdf

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1797.0

Cheers inter slice, will be referring to your links.
    Ya the voltage I forgot to put in was around the 12.4 mark as far as I can remember, basically today it was 'fully charged' while I was messing around with it. Regarding safety I'm wearing gloves while putting rods on battery, I'm getting a spark when I put the black rod on the terminal, nothing to worry about I assume, a bit of rain came down when I was using it today aswell, was a bit worried there for a while.
    Am I right in saying there's a third fuse box in the boot somewhere,have only located the 2 so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Am I right in saying there's a third fuse box in the boot somewhere,have only located the 2 so far.

Looks like it on the first page of the pdf alright.

Only watched the start of that video but I remember him sayinf the car is dying over night, every night so that would explain the 3 or 4 A draw or whatever he's getting. Your making some progress, a brick wall is when you pull every fuse and don't get a change :P.
    Ya the voltage I forgot to put in was around the 12.4 mark as far as I can remember, basically today it was 'fully charged' while I was messing around with it.

Normal enough fluctuations for a day like today. Wipers and lights on etc. Charging seems sound to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭faolteam

just wondering ,
    whizbang wrote: »
    Get yourself one of those cig-lighter voltmeters.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LED-Car-Battery-Electric-Cigarette-Lighter-Voltmeter-Voltage-Meter-DC-12V-24V-/181152132768?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a2d822ea0

If your alternator is working ok, this will read 14-15volts.(engine running)
    12.5-13.5 volts is not charging.
    less than 12.5 v is discharging.
    less than 12.0 is serious.

This will not tell you if you have a bad connection to the battery. I.E. Earth straps

-does anyone know if this car have a permanently live socket ?

faolteam wrote: »
    just wondering ,
    Ya I find it handy, it's cheap too.
    Tells me whether I'm charged,draining or ****ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,520 ✭✭✭✭Esel

faolteam wrote: »
    Are these any good? just wondering
    Basic electronic equipment from China, costing £2.59 incl. p&p. Say €3 all-in. Probably accurate enough...

Long-term, get a multimeter though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

I had similar problem , but different car, at the end turned out was insecure connection on starter motor (fiat punto alternator lead goes through starter, in same time connected to battery). So it was charging car time to time, i had new battery and it was flat within week, then i replaced by warrianty battery, that was for couple weeks, and then went flat, then i was trying remember what i did before battery change, and it was starter motor change, when checked wiring, turned out alternator and battery wiring was pretty loose, and alternator couldnt charge battery, after tighting up screws, all went good.

Hi lads, just want to say thanks for all your help with my car so far, haven't done much lately with it due to bad weather and lazyness but I'm on the right track thanks to ye and will be doing a bit more on it in the next few weeks, so I just wanted to say happy Christmas and a happy new year. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

keep us posted!! We were startin to miss ya!

Right I think I've blown my multimeter, it's giving me 0.00 readout whatever I do now. To be honest I'm fed up of the car anyway and was thinking of selling it on if I could. It's not giving me any hassle lately, hasn't been dead for a few weeks now and the voltmeter is giving me a strong 11.7 when key turned half way and 14.4 when running. I'm wondering what's the best way to highlight this issue in an advertisement? Or would it put any potential buyers off and Would it take a good chunk of the price that similar golfs are going for?was thinking of putting it up for 5500.
    Timing belt done water pump done , new clutch kit,
    66k miles
    Nct due august

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭scottp68877

Have you tried checking the spark plugs to see if there working? If there not working it could be the coil for them :) had the same problem with mine about 2 months ago. You can get a coil in a scrap yard for about 15 euro.

Have you tried checking the spark plugs to see if there working? If there not working it could be the coil for them :) had the same problem with mine about 2 months ago. You can get a coil in a scrap yard for about 15 euro.

Come again? I'm fairly car DIY illiterate to be honest despite my efforts.how might one check the spark plugs? I might very well look Into this coil you speak of.:)

Come again? I'm fairly car DIY illiterate to be honest despite my efforts.how might one check the spark plugs? I might very well look Into this coil you speak of.:)

I probably won't be the best at explaining this myself but I'll try. I pulled off the spark plug wire then removed the spark plug and reattached the spark plug to the wire but not in the engine. Then I just put the wire and spark plug down somewhere safe on the engine(away from battery etc..) after that I started the car and checked to see if there was a spark out of the spark plug. Then basically just repeat it for the rest of them. I'd recommend doing them one by one and labelling them so you know the order to put them back in. If there is no spark then it could be the coil. Also check if there is any dirt, rust around the spark plug or around the alternator and that the cables are correctly put on( not loose) and the alternator cap is on right. Hope this helps. You can probably YouTube a video for testing the spark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,520 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see any need to check the spark plugs, leads or coil pack.

How could they be involved in draining the battery?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see any need to check the spark plugs, leads or coil pack.

How could they be involved in draining the battery?

I know what you mean but I had nearly the exact same problem in my car. Alternator, starter, battery replaced and still no luck with it but once the coil was replaced haven't had a problem since. I'm not saying I'm a mechanic(far from in for that matter) but just suggesting a solution :)

Advertisement