Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WD Mybook Live as media NAS ?

• 28-09-2013 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone is using the WD Live as a media NAS ?

I have a couple of apple TVs around the house & also a mac mini under the main TV. The Mini currently has it's own hard drive attached with movies/TV on & this is FTP connected to add/delete.

The apple TVs latch onto itunes through the computer. The actual itunes folder is on an external hard drive.

I was thinking on consolidating media & reducing the amount of hard drives I have. Plex is running on the mac mini & I could map the folders to that.

I've no experience of the my book, so don't know what to expect performance wise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

I'm using a seagate goflex live which is identical and I find it fantastic, have all my gadgets running off it, laptop, iphone, android tablet, Xbmc box etc and it has worked flawlessly since I got it! Even has a transmission client for direct torrent downloading. Can't see what extra a proper NAS would give you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

Do you find access takes any longer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

OU812 wrote: »
    Do you find access takes any longer ?

No, if its asleep it may take a couple of seconds to reconnect but other than that it is pretty instant. The only slow down i experienced is if i am trying to do a number of tasks at once (move files/folders, download and stream) but if tasks are done individually i suffered no slowdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Have both the WD Live and the original MyBookLive.
    Happy with both, reliable, no problems, the WD Live is obviously faster.

I connect using Devolo 200 AV plugs from a 7 yr old pc with 100mps lan port and get an upload speed of 7.3MB for a 1GB file.
    Download was about the same.

Have all my media stored there and works with all devices for streaming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 gowayuwilya

Can I ask is it possible t stream movies direct from mybook live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

I use a MyBook Live with both a WD TV Live and a Raspberry Pi running XBMC. All works fine. Can also access files from the Macbook.

I have all mine cabled together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Can I ask is it possible t stream movies direct from mybook live?

If you have a device connected to it capable of playing them - it doesn't have any 'onboard' media player.

Advertisement