Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatic stock pot stirrer

Options
  • 28-09-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Has anyone come across automatic pot stirrers like this one, which is unfortunately discontinued:

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13553_1-20028932-32.html

I'm looking for one that would be big enough for a 10l stockpot. To pre-empt the 'are you too lazy to use a spoon?' answer, the cooking time is around 5 hours so it's not feasible to stir for this duration and I want to be able to cook in 2 pots at the same time. I've seen the Stir Chef one but it only goes up to 8.5" diameter.

Steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

what are you cooking?
    Stock shouldn't be stirred.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Steve Reddin

I never said I was cooking stock, I said I am looking for one big enough for a 10L stockpot; what I cook when I'm using it is irrelevant really.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Nisbetts might have one. They are in Cork but deliver around the country

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Steve Reddin

Thank you Anna, I'll see if they can supply one or point me in the right direction. If anyone else has seen some around I'm all ears, I'd have thought something like this would be been very appealing...maybe I am just lazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I never said I was cooking stock, I said I am looking for one big enough for a 10L stockpot; what I cook when I'm using it is irrelevant really.

If you're going to be like that, I never said you were cooking stock.

I don't think what you are cooking is irrelevant. Many things, like polenta or risotto would require manual stirring where you are looking for areas where it is starting to catch on the bottom of the pan and move the contents in such a way as to prevent this happening.
    To be, honest, I can't imagine a gadget like that working for anything that needs constant stirring.
    Really only trying to prevent you from possibly wasting your money on a gadget that might not work for what you want it for but maybe you know better.
    If you want to be secretive and defensive go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Many things, like polenta or risotto would require manual stirring where you are looking for areas where it is starting to catch on the bottom of the pan and move the contents in such a way as to prevent this happening.
    +1. I can picture there being missed spots in anything automated like this, i.e. the blades will spin making a pattern on the base and would miss some areas, especially at the sides where it would have to match the curvature of your pot.

Thicker stuff would require more power from the unit too.

Advertisement