Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ennis 2013/14

• 28-09-2013 5:29pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Strange that this game was so early given that the divisions are supposed to start in successive weeks (in fact, the O'Hanlon starts today), but anyways - Rathmines A beat Rathmines B 3½-2½ on Thursday. As in the Heidenfeld, the Bs seem to have done unexpected harm to their As. Five draws despite the As having 150-200 points on average over their clubmates.

Meanwhile, Aer Lingus and Longford drew 3-3; four draws in one match is maybe a bit below Aer Lingus' usual quota!

Good to see the league tables are being updated quicker than usual, and without waiting for all results in a round to come in. Keep up the good work!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

Rathmines seem to be the worst club for picking teams. They should have had 1 team that would walk the Heidenfeld but it looks to me like there a number of players on the B team who should be on the A team....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Irish Warrior

Cavan 1 - 5 Inchicore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Drogheda 2-4 Portmarnock

Inchicore 4 - 2 Rathmines B

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chessrookie

I just read the scorecards from round 2 of the Ennis and was quite surprised when I saw that Valentine Kalinins is now playing board 1 for Aer Lingus with a rating of 2207.
    There really are some wacky ratings in some of the lower leagues this year.
    The O Hanlon has John Delaney 2230 and Rory Quinn 2078. Their meeting this month will not be a typical O Hanlon B1 matchup.
    The BEA features Monika Gedvilaite at 2058 for Round Towers, whilst in the Bodley, word has it the top player is "only" 1901!!
    God knows what we will have in division 7 next year if it takes off!!!.
    You would have one hell of an Armstrong team if you were to combine this collection on Div 3 and under players on the one team.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I just read the scorecards from round 2 of the Ennis and was quite surprised when I saw that Valentine Kalinins is now playing board 1 for Aer Lingus with a rating of 2207.
    Wow. I was wondering where he'd gone. No disrespect to Aer Lingus, but would there not be an Armstrong team he could join?

I trust, being with Aer Lingus, he's been informed of the tradition to draw all his games? :)

Royal Lopez 3½ 2½ Inchicore

Inchicore 4½ - 1½ Dublin

Kalinins is on 1/2, and had to default the other game to bring his wife to hospital for their first child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

cdeb wrote: »
    Kalinins is on 1/2, and had to default the other game to bring his wife to hospital for their first child.
    Under the circumstances, I think I'd have offered him the draw.

• Advertisement

Elm Mount 2½ - 3½ Inchicore

Rathmines A 4½-1½ Longford

Inchicore 5½ - ½ Malahide

Cavan 3½-2½ Rathmines B

Rathmines A 3½ - 2½ Inchicore

Inchicore 4 - 2 Longford

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭flipsake

The Rottweiler is taking on the Ambulance tonight. Board 1 Inchicore vs Drogheda. Very exciting! Should be a cracker.

Inchicore 5 - 1 Drogheda

Aer Lingus 1½ - 4½ Inchicore

Inchicore promoted so. Interesting to see how they fare next season with two Heidenfeld teams!

How are Aer Lingus struggling so badly? Although I see Kalinins hasn't played since Christmas, which wouldn't help obviously.

• Advertisement

Two teams in the Heidenfeld should be interesting next season alright. Hopefully one going for promotion while we try to stay up. Although after the effort Naomh Barróg put in this season, and given all our players have played in the Heidenfeld before, we would be quietly confident we can stay up.

Aer Lingus have a good team, a 2200,a 1600 and two 1500. Problem seems to be they are not available for every game, and being a small club the subs to cover are not there.

Ye do need to be genuinely careful that ye don't start racing through subs; it'd be easy enough to suddenly have two teams in relegation trouble, which would be a disaster. The first sub either team needs will now be coming from the mid-O'Hanlon (as two of that team will jump up with the Ennis). Go through too many subs and it could be quite tough.

I'd be fairly sure the A team would stay up no bother, of course, but the risk is always there with an A and B team. Obviously, we'd be targetting Inchicore B (and probably Rathmines B, who are almost assured of promotion) as the ones to stay ahead of (provided we survive this year of course). But sure ye probably knew that already!

Ah cdeb,
    will you at least let us have our moment in the sun before you go targetting us for relegation next season. There's a cup or a trophy or even a shield to be won yet. ;)
    Besides, ye have a bit of business to attend to on the 13th before targetting anyone in next season's Heidenfeld, unless of course Bray/Greystones and Naomh Barróg do ye a favour and draw 4 all.
    And sure who knows who's going to ramble into Inchicore chess club, (or any chess club for that matter) over the summer, strengthening the pool of players?
    Promotion (and fingers crossed, topping the league) can effect players in lots of different ways, but I'm hoping it will have a generally positive affect on the club, and that it will reinvigorate our enthusiasm for studying the game and generally contribute to improving our chess.
    Obviously 2 teams in any league is somewhat problematic, but in my opinion, its a nice problem to have. It will give more players in Inchicore an opportunity to play at a higher level and ultimately, that's a good thing for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Ciaran

flipsake wrote: »
    There's a cup or a trophy or even a shield to be won yet. ;)
    Make sure you have some transport to bring that yoke home, it's not the most compact of trophies!

flipsake wrote: »
    Ah cdeb,
    will you at least let us have our moment in the sun before you go targetting us for relegation next season. There's a cup or a trophy or even a shield to be won yet. ;)
    Absolutely it's great that a club like Inchicore can have two Heidenfeld teams; ye've grown a lot in recent years (partly due to the merger with Tallaght obviously) and that's always a good thing for the game. But B teams are always an obvious relegation target!

And I've been saying all thread that we're not safe yet even when others have been saying we are! Well aware that we've a little bit to do. It's all in our hands though; we just need 3½ points combined between ourselves and Bray to stay up. Surely we can manage that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hotamatua

Cavan 4-2 Malahide.Badly needed result for us today which should,barring a collapse on the last day,keep us in the Ennis for another year.

Well done hotamatua. Great result. Ye have had a great recovery since Christmas. I hope you continue your good run of form with a nice win over Rathmines A on the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hotamatua

Not promising anything Flipsake but were certainly looking forward to going up against a strong side like them.An observation,after Inchicore and Rathmines A we have won the most individual games but need to turn those losses into draws or even wins for next season!

Advertisement