Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

withdrawals

• 28-09-2013 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭

Hey were do I start? Was off the drink for about two and a half months felt really good about it and myself! To cut a long story short ended up back on a bender! And when I stopped have been getting withdrawals like flu symptoms cold and hot flashes sweating nausea slightly Sharkey has anyone ever experienced or gone through this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

beano345 wrote: »
    Hey were do I start? Was off the drink for about two and a half months felt really good about it and myself! To cut a long story short ended up back on a bender! And when I stopped have been getting withdrawals like flu symptoms cold and hot flashes sweating nausea slightly Sharkey has anyone ever experienced or gone through this?

Yes I am sure lots of us have,

alcohol initially enhances the effect of GABA, the neurotransmitter which produces feelings of relaxation and calm. But chronic alcohol consumption eventually suppresses GABA activity so that more and more alcohol is required to produce the desired effects, a phenomenon known as tolerance.
    In general, the severity of alcohol withdrawal symptoms increases in tandem with the amount and duration of prior alcohol consumption.
    Minor alcohol withdrawal symptoms often appear six to 12 hours after alcohol cessation, sometimes while patients still have a measurable alcohol level. These symptoms include:
    • Shaky hands
    • Sweating
    • Mild anxiety
    • Nausea and/or vomiting
    • Headache
    • Insomnia
    So as far as I can gather you went through mild alcohol withdrawal, be carefull out there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

realies wrote: »

alcohol initially enhances the effect of GABA, the neurotransmitter which produces feelings of relaxation and calm. But chronic alcohol consumption eventually suppresses GABA activity so that more and more alcohol is required to produce the desired effects, a phenomenon known as tolerance.
    In general, the severity of alcohol withdrawal symptoms increases in tandem with the amount and duration of prior alcohol consumption.
    Minor alcohol withdrawal symptoms often appear six to 12 hours after alcohol cessation, sometimes while patients still have a measurable alcohol level. These symptoms include:
    • Shaky hands
    • Sweating
    • Mild anxiety
    • Nausea and/or vomiting
    • Headache
    • Insomnia
    So as far as I can gather you went through mild alcohol withdrawal, be carefull out there :)

jesus ive never experienced anything like this in all my years of drinking please tell me it doesnt last long?

Everyone is different in their hangovers/withdrawals state, Only you can answer that for yourself,but if you have any of the symptoms above your body is telling you you have enough for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

beano345 wrote: »
    jesus ive never experienced anything like this in all my years of drinking please tell me it doesnt last long?

Going for a light walk to clear the head and get some fresh air can be good. Also drink some water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

realies wrote: »

• Shaky hands
    • Sweating
    • Mild anxiety
    • Nausea and/or vomiting
    • Headache
    • Insomnia

Just curious.Could you take a GABA supplement to help with the symptoms.

• Advertisement

Just curious.Could you take a GABA supplement to help with the symptoms.

I cant really answer that but maybe...

Advertisement