Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this insect??

Options
  • 28-09-2013 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

My Pre-School class and I came across this insect when bug hunting. Finding it really hard to source its name! It's about an inch long and bends up it's tail when you move it. Kinda scary....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

Rove beetle of some kind.

Perhaps a Devil's coach horse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_coach_horse_beetle

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah pretty sure that's a devils coach horse beetle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 quinnerz86

Thank you, that's definitely it!! I wonder if they are common in Ireland, I've never seen one before

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

quinnerz86 wrote: »
    Thank you, that's definitely it!! I wonder if they are common in Ireland, I've never seen one before

Very common as far as I know. I've seen them a lot, think they tend to come into houses when the weather gets colder. I woke up to find one crawling across my bedroom more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I came across something like that in a small stream. But was around 3 inches long. Huge jaws on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I came across something like that in a small stream. But was around 3 inches long. Huge jaws on it.

Likely to have been a dragonfly larva if it was in a stream

libellulidae_larva_dragonfly_naiad.jpg

Advertisement