Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

microsoft office.

Options
  • 28-09-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

Is microsoft office free to download? I seen a few sites but scared I might get virus. Really need microsoft for my college work..

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's not free to download. There's free alternatives such as Libre Office and Open Office that do much the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

365 will give you a 30 day trial for free: http://office.microsoft.com/en-ie/try/

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Office 365 University is a much lower price than the standard alternative buying options.

Depending on the applications I frankly found that Office is just simpler to work with. I don't have to fiddle with updates, or extension issues, and at least with 2013 its nice that new files are automatically saved in SkyDrive without lifting a finger. Plus word can be used to edit PDFs, something I find quite handy quite often. And needless to say, Im hooked on OneNote entirely and I have yet to find a 3rd party version Im happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

There's a student offer you can get: four years of Office for less than €20 / year.

Which is a super fair deal. Gives you skype minutes cloud saves an access to office from your smartphone tablet and any web browser. Installation of full suite for two machines as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭enaeknala1

Whats the difference between lets say microsoft office 2010 or 2013 and microsoft 365?

Thanks!

365 is a subscription that always gives you the current version (eg. 2013)

2013 brings a lot better cloud integration and lots of extra improvements to office like hardware acceleration and the aforementioned ability to edit PDFs, a Presenter View in Powerpoint (ideal for projection situations), more powerful fills and autocompletes in Excel, much better SkyDrive integration (very important for OneNote, which is the unsung gem of the entire suite), etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭enaeknala1

Overheal wrote: »
    365 is a subscription that always gives you the current version (eg. 2013)

2013 brings a lot better cloud integration and lots of extra improvements to office like hardware acceleration and the aforementioned ability to edit PDFs, a Presenter View in Powerpoint (ideal for projection situations), more powerful fills and autocompletes in Excel, much better SkyDrive integration (very important for OneNote, which is the unsung gem of the entire suite), etc etc

So is 365 the best option? Is it a full version or is it an online only version? The option of 2 365 licences for €80 from microsoft seems unmatchable if its the full version and not just an line version?
    Thanks again!

enaeknala1 wrote: »
    So is 365 the best option? Is it a full version or is it an online only version? The option of 2 365 licences for €80 from microsoft seems unmatchable if its the full version and not just an line version?
    Thanks again!
    If you are an eligible 3rd level student or staff, then you can get the University edition. It is €80 for a 4-year, 2PC/Mac license. Otherwise Office 365 Home Premium is €99/yr for 5 PC/Mac

In either case, it is the full version that you install on those machines. (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/OneNote/Outlook/Access/Publisher) For non-commercial use.

In addition to the machines you install the full suite on, 365 subscriptions also allow you to use the accompanying Office Mobile app for iOS or Android. Allowing you to work with Word/Excel/PowerPoint on your ARM devices.

Plus, with 365 you get Office on Demand. OoD is accessible via Office.com from your dashboard. You can launch Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access*, and Publisher*. When you do this, the FULL program and its features will stream to your terminal, and launch from the computer's RAM. It will not be stored on the drive, and when you close the program, there is no trace of it afterward. In this way even if you're not right on your primary machine but need an advanced feature set, you can still use the full suite on any other machine in addition to your other licensed installations of the program.

This should be free, but let me know:
    I don't know if this is accessible without 365 or not (because I have it, I cannot check), but Yes, these are definitely free! you can also use a lite web-based version of Word/Excel/PowerPoint/OneNote via your SkyDrive at http://skydrive.live.com ,allowing you to make edits/print/create but doesnt include the full feature set of those programs by a long texas mile. Dont ask me what a texas mile is, I just made it up.

I'm pretty confident anyone can use the OneNote app for iOS/Android/Windows for free, and the same definitely goes with SkyDrive. So even without paying you have ways of accessing Word/Excel/Powerpoint/OneNote, but they will require an active internet connection.

*Publisher and Access are not available for Mac/iOS/Android. Also, Im confident that OoD won't play nice with a Chromebook. Office Web Apps should though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

carzony wrote: »
    Is microsoft office free to download? I seen a few sites but scared I might get virus. Really need microsoft for my college work..

If you are hoping for something for free then the best you are likely legally to do whilst staying in the MS camp is to setup a microsoft skydrive account and you get the skydrive versions of word, excel, powerpoint and note(i think). Reads and writes all the MS (incl x) formats, has all the basic functionality of its bigger brother - office /office 365. Runs entirely in the MS Cloud.

Its actually pretty ok for all the basics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement