Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your costs?

• 28-09-2013 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Erm i'm really wary and unsure if I should post this as I haven't found any other thread about it using the search function so I hope no one gets offended or thinks i'm being inconsiderate. I've never had a pet before due to my ashtma... i've always longed for one but never did so i've 0 experience. I was leaning towards a Samoyed as they're my absolute favorite, but I read that they aren't good "first time owner" dogs as you need to have doggy experience, so i've decided on a toy poodle since I love them too. Then maybe a Samoyed. Anyway, what I really wanna know is how much you spend monthly or even annually on your pets? I'm not trying to be rude or to see them as an object i'd just like to know an estimate so I know how much i'd be looking to spend. I don't wanna get a dog and then find out I can't actually afford to keep it, and then send him to a shelter :( that'd just break my heart.

Like if you could do a little list of the costs like people do when they're moving out, saying how much they speed monthly on rent, food etc that'd be great.
    Uh i'd be looking to get a male pup if that makes a difference. You dont have to give me the exact figures if you feel uncomfortable just a general estimate if that's what you want.

Thanks, and really hoping for some answers... really dont know who to ask lol, no one I know has pets, one has a cat but I dont think it's the same cost.

Oh i'm 20 so I am absolutely aware of the responsibility and dedication that comes with having a little pet.
    I'm probably not getting it this year, so please do keep updating me, even if you see this in a year time :)

Edit: So I read that the cost of food has a lot to do with weight... toy poodles are anywhere from 3 - 10 pounds according to most websites. So let's say a 5kg dog.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

A samoyed and a poodle are pretty different dogs - I'd suggest you look at what kind of dog suits your lifestyle first eg how much time you have for it rather than choosing a dog based on it's weight and how much it might cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

This is going to vary wildly from dog to dog. Especially if you want to do it right. I agree with the above, they only thing that a Samoyed and a toy poodle have in common is their coat colour. Everyone wants a beautiful looking dog but there is no point in having a pretty dog that doesn't fit your lifestyle, this will cause problems.

Before looking at costs I think you should look at how much exercise you can give a dog, how much time will the dog spend alone a day, will the dog be a family pet as in are there kids in the house, how much time and money are you willing to spend looking after the dogs coat etc.

But since you asked here is a rough idea of what it costs to keep my 30KG Boxer a year.

Food and treats €350.
    Insurance €150.
    Vaccinations €35.
    Worming/Fleaing €50.
    Toys: €50-€100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Neutering - anywhere from €80 to €150 depending on area and size of dog.

You should also factor in boarding costs or what will happen if you need someone to mind the dog on short notice.

Also consider that it's much much harder to find places to rent with a dog in tow so be aware of that.

Also day care/dog walker costs if you're working full time as dogs don't do well being left for 8+ hours a day.

This dog will most likely be around for 10+ years so keep in mind that your life as it is now will change and you will need to consider the dog in everything.

Also I hope you don't mind me asking but has your asthma cleared up? Have you spent prolonged periods of time with dogs? Many people get dogs but then realise that they can't live with them. If you are getting one then please make sure you source from a good breeder who will take back the pup or a good rescue that will take back the dog but main thing is to make sure that you can live with one before jumping in and taking one on.

These days it's not as simple as just 'sending him to a shelter' as you said. Rescues are bursting at the seams and this new passport issue with the UK will mean even less spaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

@ tk123
    Oh no, this has all been premeditated, it's not solely based on how cute or pretty they are, it has nothing to do with the cost or weight or how much they eat. I've really sat down and taken everything in consideration, like space, activity, exercise, noise, shedding and I can't take care of a Samoyed right now. I'm living with my dad and he'd go nuts at the excessive shedding. I read they shed their undercoats twice a year and shed quite a bit in between so I can't. Then there's the exercising and activity, they need a lot of it and I don't know if I'd be available to give him as much as he needs and that just wouldnt be fair. And the fact they're stubborn (which I love) makes them supposedly a poor choice for dog newbies.

@ meo
    Yeah it may be a bit weird but I do like variety, so I can easily appreciate a little bundle of curly fluff just as much as a big wolfy white maned dog.
    I know Samoyeds are great with kids but for reasons mention above I just cant get one. I dont think it'd be fair for me to get a dog that requires at least 2 hours of exercise + constant mind puzzles and other activities a day when I know there's days I just cant do that.
    I've looked at everything, a toy poodle will be a lot easier to take care of. They're small, they don't require much space (although we do have a sizeable backgarden!), exercise won't be as tough (they arent sled dogs after all) and they dont shed much. Great with kids, not particularly noisy, intelligent and obedient. And they learn tricks fast!

@ Toulouse
    I won't be travelling out of the country anytime soon, and if I do i'll make sure I have someone to take care of him beforehand, that my dog likes. Renting wont be a problem for the next 4 years minimum but when it is i'll definitely find a house that allows pets. I dont condemn everyone who does it, but i'm strictly against abandoning animals... :\.
    Hence why i'm here trying to get an estimate of the cost.

I don't mind you asking, I actually dont know what the situation is with my asthma as of now. I dont react to fur like I used to anymore and dont have masswive asthma attacks but I do struggle sometimes. I'll definitely get an x ray and run tests beforehand though, like I said I wont be getting a dog anytime soon, not for the next 4 months at least!

Thanks for the answers guys, keep 'em coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Purchase price/adoption fee for puppy: ???
    Puppy vaccinations and worming €80
    Microchipping €20
    Dog licence €20 per year
    Neutering €100-150
    Collar/harness, lead, ID tag €25
    Insurance €20 per month
    Food (size dependent) €20-€30 per month for good food for a toy breed

And a whole load more! Toys, bedding, treats, unexpected vet visits, flea treatments/worm treatments throughout the year, boarding fees, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

These are rough cost for my 24kg Boxer:

Adoption fee: 150€
    Toys/bed : 60-70€
    Food: 25€ every three weeks for raw food 20€ every three months for a bag of Skinners rough and ready
    Vet bill: 100 for vaccines/ check up

Sure there are lots of other costs that I can't think of. If you plan on holidaying with your dog some hotels charge extra. Or if you are kennelling them, thinks it about 13-20€ per night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

My local vet has recently introduced a loyalty scheme which gives a discount if you sign up for it. It has also set out a list of costs per treatment.

For annual booster, kennel cough vac, years supply of flea treatment and wormers works out at between €153to €168 if you are not on the scheme. For pups it works out at €148 to €170. The price varies depending on the size of dog and there is an additional €20 for a microchip. If you are on the scheme you get a discount on the above prices

Hope that's some help.

Advertisement