Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is GTA V the best in the series?

• 28-09-2013 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

The best in the series for me to this point has been Vice City but after a week or so of GTA V it's running VC close.

I'd still give the nod to Vice City purely due to how much it got right and worked as a complete package.

But if I was to compare each aspect of both, Vice City would probably only win out on music.

Head says V, heart says Vice City.

What say ye...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

V for me mainly as the earlier ones had horrendous controls for shooting, SA fixed that mostly and the Vice City Stories was good with the fixed controls.

VC for soundtrack

V for general gameplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

VC for me. Although probably GTA 3 if the choice was there. V is just another GTA game. (nothing wrong with that) Not what it was hyped up to be though and I think they've ruined the driving in it. Not as enjoyable as SA or VC imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I love Vice City but the map is the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Vice City for me. You lived in Tony Montana's gaff. Like a boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

San Andreas for me, but V is very very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Brian2208

San Andreas yo, Grove Street 4 life

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

5 for me anyway,I just love the world a lot more than other gta's.

Yes San Andreas for me too. I kind of miss being able to go to 3 different cities.

The story was amazing, the map, you could rob houses for a living :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

San Andreas. OG Loc is in it, ice cold killlaaa...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

V is great alright was very pleased with the story a refreshing step up after the dullness of IV. Brought back the expansiveness and variety of travel of GTA: SA. With much more comic relief (IMO the cornerstone of GTA stories)

Top of the series for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Only about 15% in at the moment, but definitely V for me. Vice City had it on the music, but in every other way I prefer V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

For me 5 is definitely the best, if I was to choose anything else it would probably be for nostalgic reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Couldn't really pick one though I do think GTA5 has been overhyped and the driving is terrible, I want to know what they spent all that money on. Only really started it but don't think it's an improvement on previous ones. Don't get me wrong it is engaging but I wouldn't get lost for hours like previous versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

For me 5 is definitely the best, if I was to choose anything else it would probably be for nostalgic reasons.

Oh if we are allowed pick for nostalgic reasons then I have one comment: my brothers my sister.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

GTA V for me is really lacking something atmosphereically, I cant put my finger on it but it just doesnt seem to have the same heart Vice city and San andreas had.Simple things like driving down back alleys on a faggio in vice city would give me hours of enjoyment, but V is just a bit...meh.

On another note, whoever developed and gave the go ahead for the car damage should be sacked and tied up by the balls.GTA 4 was great for pushing cars until they died, but in V I can smash into a bus head on and get my car scratched and maybe a broken light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

really close but VC for me was the best, really loved it and got so many hours from it and lets not forget the first 1 awesome at the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

San Andreas for me.

Don't get me wrong V looks great, great story and very engaging but there was just about San Andreas that made me lose months of my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

San Andreas, got attached to that game and still play it the odd time. Hate the driving in V and the car damage is ridiculous as stated before, just cant get 'into' the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

GerB40 wrote: »
    San Andreas. OG Loc is in it, ice cold killlaaa...

Franklyn has an album belonging to him so he must of finally made it big!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

When going to Grove street in V, it's just very bland and has no character. Grove street in SA, well.... you all know how much character that had

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

When going to Grove street in V, it's just very bland and has no character. Grove street in SA, well.... you all know how much character that had

Those bitch ass ballas.

Turf wars should've been re-introduced.Could easily have been tied in with trevor and the lost, and franklyn and the ballas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Vice city had the best atmosphere. V is easily best looking and biggest.

The soundtrack is the biggest let down for me in V.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

JamboMac wrote: »
    Couldn't really pick one though I do think GTA5 has been overhyped and the driving is terrible, I want to know what they spent all that money on. Only really started it but don't think it's an improvement on previous ones. Don't get me wrong it is engaging but I wouldn't get lost for hours like previous versions.

I think the driving in V is the best in the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

SA, VC, 3 and then 5 for me. It only goes above 4 as the location is much better.

Definitely ^^

I don't get why so many are finding it bad/hard/sloppy - the driving is fine to me.

It's the jumping that really needs fixing. Go to jump a 3 foot wall ... fall on face awkwardly ... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Sa is the best by far imho great atmosphere, Brilliant funny support characters, Great locations for their missions to take place (the truth with area 69 for instance) and CJ was just perfect i dont know why but i loved playing as him. 5 would be second in my list though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Its not the best in the series, I found the story stronger in IV. GTA: SA will probably always be my favorite with VC a close second. The ambition of GTA SA at the time was unbelievable but as has being said before, the setting of VC and the music makes up for the mostly poor map.

Although the 3 character idea is good to freshen up the gameplay, I prefer the single character approach.

5. Loved VC but if I played both for the first time now that I'm older, VC wouldn't cut it.

Imagine VC with 5's graphics, size, better map/GPS, throw in a couple of more playable characters .... would rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Imagine VC with 5's graphics, size, better map/GPS, throw in a couple of more playable characters .... would rock.

Hopefully a revisit to Vice city is next on their agenda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Thanks to college I have regulated my playing of V to Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, which leaves me just 6 days of gaming so far, so I can't really judge it yet, but I have to say I love it so far, so expansive and fun. The only real let down is the soundtrack; it's hard to top VC, SA, and IV I thought was very good too, but there isn't a whole pile to V's soundtrack.

One thing I honestly don't get is folks saying the driving is anything from "poor" to "terrible". The driving in V is fucking magnificent, probably the best driving in the series as one poster mention previously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Dunno why but GTA 1, VC, 3 and 5 in that order.... Nothing much between them, just personal preference. The buzz I got from GTA was unreal. I played that game for literally years on the PS, and then again on the PC. VC and 3 are pretty much on par for me, but VC brought the storyline aspect to life and the soundtrack was just so good. I haven't finished 5 yet but it just feels like 4 to me with better gameplay/control. Loving the storyline so far tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

One thing I hope a DLC improves on 5 is the radio stations. Is it just me or they a bit short?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Haven't played V. Will be getting it soon but it would take something special to beat vice city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Definitely ^^

I don't get why so many are finding it bad/hard/sloppy - the driving is fine to me.

It's the jumping that really needs fixing. Go to jump a 3 foot wall ... fall on face awkwardly ... :D

Problem with driving is nearly all cars handle the same. There isn't much speed difference in cars ( they all seem to hit a similar max speed) its overall wayyyy too easy. The lack of damage to yer vehicle ties into this. Thats annoying as balls.
    .ak wrote: »
    One thing I hope a DLC improves on 5 is the radio stations. Is it just me or they a bit short? Shít

FYP :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Anyone saying SA is better obviously hasnt played it recently. It hasnt aged very well. VC has aged far better.

The only issue I have with V is the crap radio selections. It's bad when the pop station is the most enjoyable.

I think it is too early to judge V. Need to see if it has the same replay value as VC did and still does. Right now, it is great, but will it hold up down the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

OhHiMark wrote: »
    I think the driving in V is the best in the series.

Yeah, I love the driving in V. Nice combination between arcade and realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

IV is the best for me.

V is rapidly catching up on it, I'm only about 20% of the way in so there's plenty of time left for it to overtake IV, but IV had so much longevity for me. Only time will tell if V has the same.

Music much better in V though, although the music in VC and SA will always trump the modern games because they were choosing the best of the best music from specific eras as opposed to trying to choose a wide variety of current and past stuff for V and IV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Very tough call between VC, SA and V for me. They all have their advantages and disadvantages! SA is where Rockstar really progressed with the game adding lots of new things like clothes, planes and bicycles and I probably spent the most time playing that so I feel like I should say that, but VC was really enjoyable and the setting was really cool.

GTA V speaks for itself, but I still can't help but feel like the lack of islands ruins it slightly. Nothing better than flying from one airport to the other in SA, go outside and it actually felt like you were in a new city. V just feels like you're fecking off into the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Anyone saying SA is better obviously hasnt played it recently. It hasnt aged very well. VC has aged far better.

The only issue I have with V is the crap radio selections. It's bad when the pop station is the most enjoyable.

I think it is too early to judge V. Need to see if it has the same replay value as VC did and still does. Right now, it is great, but will it hold up down the line?

I have both to this day, gave them a play before V was released and I still prefer SA. Why do you think it hasn't aged well? The poor graphics? I don't really care about things like that anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭FireBreather

V for me,,, and it might be for some of you later VC and SA have Nastalgic value, for anything in life to be Nasalgic, it needs time, so give it time

could also work the other way, gets worst by time

but what i gathered is that majority of people are pleased with this game, which is really good

Online Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

For me SA, there was more you could actually do in SA than gtav. The worst thing about GTA V is your car happens to be everywhere its the worst in all of em if you ask me.... that fu#king jeep ahhh.. Id put vice city very close up there. The story of the 3 characters is not that great if you ask me, trevor is a laugh a nut job, Michael is as dull a paint... pitty they didn't bring back the old gta theme on the radio joyride. seeing most of the stations are crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

San Andreas for me. As soon as I found the jet pack all other modes of transport were gone. San Andreas seemed longer than V(The story) also V was way too easy, no need for bullet proof vest(needed them in SA and IV) and also in V you seemed to have loads of ammo giving to you for each mission. I remember in previous versions after I killed someone I would go over to them just to get their weapon/bullets as you needed them.

Jet pack plus minigun in turf wars.

How can you possibly beat that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It is the best GTA, alright. I wish it had even half as good a soundtrack as VC, though. It's a noticeable weak point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I have both to this day, gave them a play before V was released and I still prefer SA. Why do you think it hasn't aged well? The poor graphics? I don't really care about things like that anyway.

It's not fun to play anymore. The only thing it has over VC is it's bigger. Controls are a little better but that's about it. Everything else, VC wins on.

People talk about SA like it was an amazing flawless game. It wasn't. VC was better in almost every aspect.

For me, discounting the IV DLC (since they were not full games), it's the worst of the 3D games and the last one I'd be looking to replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I found it to be quite a let down in the end, I did enjoy playing it, but something was missing for me and it was too short and I was not even rushing through it, Vice City is still the best in my books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Xenji wrote: »
    I found it to be quite a let down in the end, I did enjoy playing it, but something was missing for me and it was too short and I was not even rushing through it, Vice City is still the best in my books.

You probably were rushing through it. I'm about 36 or 37 hours in, and still have 11 main story missions to go along with a whole lot of side activities, about half of the strangers and freaks missions, haven't gone out in a submarine at all, a lot of places on the map I haven't seen.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I still need to write up the positive points to go with the negative ones I had posted a couple of days ago, so won't fully expand on this brief post. To answer the OP, San Andreas is the best.

Vice City had the atmosphere down to perfection and while immensely fun, the map was tiny. It was something as a teen that bugged me just a little after playing the next game in the series.

V has the map size (though not used well IMHO) and the graphics, but there is things lacking that take away from the game. Reference the GTA V Impression thread as to my views on it.

San Andreas had it all considering the time it came out. It went over and beyond everyone's wildest imagination of what a GTA game should be. It pushed the PS2 to it's very limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

OhHiMark wrote: »
    You probably were rushing through it. I'm about 36 or 37 hours in, and still have 11 main story missions to go along with a whole lot of side activities, about half of the strangers and freaks missions, haven't gone out in a submarine at all, a lot of places on the map I haven't seen.

I could only play it for about 2 hours a night due to work with a few more hours at the weekend since it came out, so no I was not rushing it and have got 100 percent in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement