Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eggshell calcium, yay or nay?

• 28-09-2013 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I've seen it on YouTube and it looks like a good idea. you grind the sh~t out of some eggshell and add it to baking, smoothies, etc.
    I'm lactose intolerant so I'm always looking for a good source of calcium and this looks like it ticks the box.

edit: sorry mod can you move it next door to nutrition please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd be looking elsewhere for a source of calcium,to be honest. Eggshells might have some but you could look at green, leafy veg like brocolli and spinach for some more calcium. Might be more palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

I'd be looking elsewhere for a source of calcium,to be honest. Eggshells might have some but you could look at green, leafy veg like brocolli and spinach for some more calcium. Might be more palatable.

leafy greens look good and I do eat a good amount of them, but I've heard that you only get about 10% of the calcium because we don't digest the other 90%. can calcium be checked with s blood test, the reason I ask is I've just recently start using chormometer and calcium is always low despite loads of eggs and greens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Maybe make sure you're getting enough Vitamin D as well because that'll help your body absorb the calcium you're taking on board.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

you need to mix the eggshell with an acid to make in absorbable, lemon juice would render calcium citrate for example.

I think it's a good idea if you can get over the gritty texture. Eggshells come with other trace minerals too.

Also canned sardines and salmon where the bones are soft enough to eat are great sources too.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

you need to mix the eggshell with an acid to make in absorbable, lemon juice would render calcium citrate for example.

I think it's a good idea if you can get over the gritty texture. Eggshells come with other trace minerals too.

Also canned sardines and salmon where the bones are soft enough to eat are great sources too.

I use a coffee grinder so I can get it pretty fine, but sometime I still notice it.
    I've discovered that you can sub it in for sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) so I might try hiding it in my soda bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Would your stomach acid not do this?

I take sodium bicarbonate for heartburn, its a fraction of the cost of bicarb tablets like bisodol.

The egg shells are calcium carbonate, this can be got foodgrade in bulk from wine/beer homebrew supply shops. Standard Rennies are calcium carbonate, at ludicrous prices.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

rubadub wrote: »
    Would your stomach acid not do this?

I take sodium bicarbonate for heartburn, its a fraction of the cost of bicarb tablets like bisodol.

The egg shells are calcium carbonate, this can be got foodgrade in bulk from wine/beer homebrew supply shops. Standard Rennies are calcium carbonate, at ludicrous prices.

I think the lemon juice 'predigests' a little bit making it overall more easier to digest, of those that don't soak in lemon juice, there are tales of finding particles in their stool which indicates incomplete digestion.

Apparently cowboys used to throw eggshells into their coffee pots in order to get a little extra calcium, not sure if that is true or not!

Advertisement