Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooked prawns

Options
  • 28-09-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Just bought "cooked prawns" from Dunnes today and wondering how can I eat them ?

Just wondering really if they're ok to eat straight from the packet or do they need any extra preparation/cooking ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If they are cooked, they are ready to eat.
    Read the packaging carefully to make sure.
    If you are in any doubt - contact the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If they're cooked and pink you can eat them straight out of the packet or mix them with marie rose sauce to make prawn cocktain, or you can add them to dishes near the end so that they're reheated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

If they are cooked, they are ready to eat.
    Read the packaging carefully to make sure.
    If you are in any doubt - contact the manufacturer.

Packaging just says cooked prawns and nothing else....
    kylith wrote: »
    If they're cooked and pink you can eat them straight out of the packet or mix them with marie rose sauce to make prawn cocktain, or you can add them to dishes near the end so that they're reheated

Great thanks! I'm always just a bit wary with shellfish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Raw prawns are grey. Not everyone realises this because for some insane reason, raw prawns are fairly hard to come by in Ireland. They almost always present cooked, or cooked and frozen.

I find pre-cooked prawns tend to be rubbery. I usually buy them raw and frozen, and defrost them quickly in cold water, before patting dry and cooking quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dipdip wrote: »
    Raw prawns are grey.
    Not always, there are types that, rather confusingly, are pink/red when raw. An Australian variety IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Alun wrote: »
    Not always, there are types that, rather confusingly, are pink/red when raw. An Australian variety IIRC.

Good to know. I've never seen these.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Aldi sells raw prawns, I buy them every week. They're from the Specially Selected range and are gorgeous big plump juicy prawns.

As an aside, for 225g, they cost roughly €2.50 in Aldi. In Tesco, you can get 225g of Tesco Finest raw prawns for €8 :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Great tip, Faith! Me & FoxT Jnr are big prawn fans, go for the raw ones every time, fry them gently with a bit of garlic , or lemon, or chilli, whatever is handy.

We went camping during the summer, had 'em for breakfast ;)

-FoxT

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

FoxT wrote: »
    Great tip, Faith! Me & FoxT Jnr are big prawn fans, go for the raw ones every time, fry them gently with a bit of garlic , or lemon, or chilli, whatever is handy.

We went camping during the summer, had 'em for breakfast ;)

-FoxT

They're mixed in with the cooked prawns packets, so sometimes you have to root through the packets to find the raw ones. Pretty sure they're jumbo king prawns.

Specially_Selected_PD_21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Alun wrote:

You sure?
    Just wondering because I'd buy raw prawns quite regularly and have never seen ones where were pink/red when raw. I'd assume most of the prawns I buy are various Australian varieties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mellor wrote: »
    You sure?
    Just wondering because I'd buy raw prawns quite regularly and have never seen ones where were pink/red when raw. I'd assume most of the prawns I buy are various Australian varieties.

http://www.sydneyfishmarket.com.au/?TabId=91&xmmid=620&xmid=706

There are also Mediterranean varieties that are red or pink when raw ...

http://londonfishmonger.blogspot.ie/2012/06/wild-mediterranean-prawns-rosso-rosa.html

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Alun wrote: »

Cheers for that. I must keep an eye out for those aussie ones to try. (I work not too far from that fish market actually).

The Italian ones look a proper deep red.

Advertisement