Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cordoning Off Area for Dog

• 28-09-2013 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm moving into a new house soon and I need to cordon off an area of the garden for my Staff-cross. I know this a terrible way of phrasing this question, but what is the minimum area that he would require? There are days where he'd be on his own for 9 hours (I know this isn't ideal, but at the moment it's unavoidable). He spends most of the evening running around inside, and he also sleeps inside in a crate. So the majority of any 24 hour period will be spent with me or asleep inside.

PS. I know the idea of dog pens/runs piss some people off, but please don't bite the head off of me. This situation has been pushed upon me, and I'm doing my best to meet the dogs needs and also do what my landlord requires.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I can cordon off an area about three times the size of the one in this picture. Would that be big enough for a dog to spend his day in, provided he has enough toys and things to keep him busy.

P6220125.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

The size of the pen won't make a huge difference, although that seems like a very good size. The amount of toys might not make a huge difference either to be honest as most dogs won't really play with them unless the owner is there and if you leave them all down, chances are he will get bored of those toys, I'd leave a few select ones and alternate them every 2 days or so.

I totally understand your situation, here is what I do with my boys when I know they will be alone for the day (a staffy cross and a staffy so would have similar needs I'd guess)

Provide a very comfy place to rest, as they spend a lot of time sleeping when we're both gone, in our case it's the couch. (assuming he's ok with being left and is not barking/pacing)

Feed in interactive feeders just before we leave, so they are kept busy with their brekkie for a while.

Exercise them before we go so it breaks their day up a bit and it tires them out for sleeping the day away.

If it's been a long day we don't even put the TV on when we get in, it's walks, training and proper interactive time spent with them playing games etc.

If we have a few long days in a row, we send them to daycare locally one of the days so they have a break in their routine and are wrecked the next day.

And of course weekends are all about the dogs!

If you could find a walker in your area it would make a huge difference to your dog, but if not, try not feel too bad about it. It's not ideal as you said but if you do your best and make sure he gets quality time with you at home he should be ok in my opinion. (All assuming he's ok with being left)

Advertisement