Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toys or puzzles for a dog alone

• 28-09-2013 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I have gone back to do my leaving cert so my boy is alone a lot more than he used to be, even though he seems to be dealing with it quite well I fell bad going away and leaving him alone in the morning with just his toys and kong, I want to give him some variety, I was thinking of getting a wobbler for his breakfast, that would keep him occupied, other mornings I could just give him a frozen kong. Can anyone recommend any other toys, I have seen puzzles on zooplus but I don't know if they would be suitable for him to use without supervision.

Just to note unless I sleep it in then he either gets a decent walk or a run around a field and an intense game of fetch before I leave. I have two long days where I am gone for around 8 hours, I know it's not ideal but it can't be helped, my other 3 days are much better 4-5 hours and of course I'm off at the weekends, where I spend the bulk of my time at home with himself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My collie never got much fun out of the wooden puzzle toys - she had them cracked in under a minute... But then, she was a collie! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

boomerang wrote: »
    My collie never got much fun out of the wooden puzzle toys - she had them cracked in under a minute... But then, she was a collie! :D

My boy is a boxer, so being realistic he would probably pick it up and run away with it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I think the issue is, as you say, most of them need to be supervised. Frozen kongs are brilliant. Maybe you could also get the dog to play some games while you're eating your breakfast, then, with the walk and that mental exercise, he'll be worn out while you're out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    My boy is a boxer, so being realistic he would probably pick it up and run away with it :D

Phoe did this! Harley tried to figure it out, Phoe picked it up and jumped up onto the couch with it, scattering bits of food everywhere.

Had to wonder - who was the clever one. Harley for trying to figure it out properly, spending time pawing, nosing, looking etc or Phoe for doing what he does best and getting the treats out in ten seconds flat!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

You should also try a activity ball. I got this for my dog to mointor her eating habits a bit. Fill the ball with kibble, and they give it a knock with their paws to move it and treats fall out.

It keeps my dog entertained for at least half an hour anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd recommend a buster cube - we have the softer one so it's not as noisy on wooden floors but it's still rock hard. And premier linkables - you can put them together different ways and make them harder/easier. Both available on amazon. Had one of the wooden ones and it'd get batted around the floor in a frenzy. We got a free plastic slidey one and unless I hold it down it gets tipped over lol! :D

Advertisement