Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trees/plants that grow from cutting without rooting powder

• 28-09-2013 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

im looking for soom info on trees and plants that can be easy grown from cuttings by simply just sticking the cutting in the ground.so far ive took cuttings from rassberry plants and simply stuck them in the ground and off the went growing ive done the same with some lonicera cutting that i took and there all growning with out the aid of rooting powder. so im looking for some more easy plants or trees that i can simply take cuttings and stick them in the ground and watch them grow.i know theres a apple tree that will grow by simply takin cuttings and sticking them in the ground but i cant think of the name.all info welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

willows and dogwoods grow easily from cuttings and lots of plants produce runners that are easy to remove and just plant out like dog roses.
    Generally if an apple roots easily from the stem there will be nodules along the base of the stem indicating this.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭shotie

Oldtree wrote: »
    willows and dogwoods grow easily from cuttings and lots of plants produce runners that are easy to remove and just plant out like dog roses.
    Generally if an apple roots easily from the stem there will be nodules along the base of the stem indicating this.

thanks. ill see can i find some willows and take some cuttings. ya my strawberrys produced runners this year to witch is great .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

shotie wrote: »
    thanks. ill see can i find some willows and take some cuttings. ya my strawberrys produced runners this year to witch is great .

Definitely willows. The mallow tree Rootss easy but would need a pot due the first year.
    also think about plants that need dividing as an easy way of getting plants. I planted some crocosmia lucifer (about 5 bulbs) a few years ago and lifted at least a wheelbarrow full today. Easily a few hundred bulbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Just on the rooting powder...

I have a well established laurel hedge that i would like to extend down along a boundary fence.

Could i just take cuttings of the laurel hedge and dip it in rooting powder and place it in individual pots to grow and then relocate those to the fence when they have rooted?

Would i be right in thinking this would be the right way of doing this or is there a better way without having to fork out for new laurel hedging in the garden centre? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Campervan man

Hi, I am an amateur gardener at best but I am also a tight Yorkshire man I hate buying what you can get for free if it wont grow by sticking it in the ground try some thing else . Roses and fuchsias are generally easy I have sandy soil though so it has good drainage that makes them >strike < . Regards steve

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

shotie wrote: »
    im looking for soom info on trees and plants that can be easy grown from cuttings by simply just sticking the cutting in the ground.so far ive took cuttings from rassberry plants and simply stuck them in the ground and off the went growing ive done the same with some lonicera cutting that i took and there all growning with out the aid of rooting powder. so im looking for some more easy plants or trees that i can simply take cuttings and stick them in the ground and watch them grow.i know theres a apple tree that will grow by simply takin cuttings and sticking them in the ground but i cant think of the name.all info welcomed.

Not sure why you don't use rooting powder but you can make a good natural substitute.. Its called willow water and has been long used to increase the rooting charactoristics of many cuttings..

Here's a link.. http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/projects/making-willow-water.htm

I've never used it, I have a small drum of rooting hormone that I use when needed...

Cheers..

Advertisement