Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First attempt recording my own stuff

• 29-09-2013 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, let's know what you think. I wrote this a while ago, and finally had time to get it recorded. Did it all through an e-mu 0202 USB into my laptop.

- Drums were drawn in using the yellowtools plugin in reaper.
    - Bass was an acoustic guitar DI'd and then pitch shifted down an octave.
    - All electric guitar was through a Vox lil' night train mic'd up

I'm pretty new to producing, so any criticisms are welcome.

http://snd.sc/1fyJ7qp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

No comments yet, maybe I can persuade some of ye ;) The song's broken down into 2 parts, the first half has a real classic metal black sabbath vibe to it, while the second has a post rock sigur ros feel to it.

Anyhoo, any comments are welcome! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Len_007

The best thing about it, is it's simplicity. Nice rife, easy 4/4 bringing it.
    And then 3:38 happens, should be a different song from here. 6 mins is a big commitment for people to listen to nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Jimllfixit

Assuming you are also "docrice"!

Fair play for writing your own stuff. I'd agree with Len & keep it within the magic 3-minutes. It gets nicely different at 4:16 when you start up the bass machine. The effects at the end are interesting too. Haven't tried the drums on Reaper, you seem to have nailed them very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Jimllfixit wrote: »
    Assuming you are also "docrice"!

Fair play for writing your own stuff. I'd agree with Len & keep it within the magic 3-minutes. It gets nicely different at 4:16 when you start up the bass machine. The effects at the end are interesting too. Haven't tried the drums on Reaper, you seem to have nailed them very well.

Thanks for the input. I am indeed docrice. On the length, I was in a band at the time where we always trying to get the songs shorter, so this was kind of an attempt to exorcise my demons, so to speak, and I tend to listen to longer songs anyway.

The effect at the end is just a EHX Memory Boy delay pedal, rocking the pedal gives a really cool (IMO) sound, then I increased the feedback on the pedal to get that wub-wub-wub sound, and gradually slowed down the delay time while panning the signal from left to right towards the end.

Drums are actually quite easy to get going on Reaper I think I used this tutorial

Though you'll have to get an older version of yellow tools, I don't think the recent ones work to well.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Jimllfixit

Hi HITB,

I looked at Yellow Tools, Cockos etc and the video & having got confused as to what goes where, and failed to make a virtual instrument in Reaper, I decided to stick with Finale Songwriter as a means of producing fairly basic drum tracks. There's a free full version (which of course doesn't allow you to save) if you fancy putting the notes in! It's worth a try. I could send you some sample tracks I've put up on Soundcloud if you want.

Boards won't let me send you a link directly but you can find me on Soundcloud if you search for Pat-The-Pirate. All the drums, bass and some guitars etc are done in Finale and mixed in Reaper.

- Jim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 mart1977

Sounding good as a first cut. Drum programming on the verse part is good. The breaks though are unnatural for a drummer in a few spots and somehow the timing connection around those areas need a look. I'd be also trying to make that primary guitar sound a lot bigger. Either with double / treble amoing or layering of tracks. Seems theres a little 'Them Crooked Vultures' in it so referencing the guitar tones from that might be useful. Best of luck

Advertisement