Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dyed banknotes invalid?

• 29-09-2013 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

They are "likely" to be stolen, so certainly any laws about receiving stolen goods would/could apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Just wondering are banknotes that have dye damage invalid?

Is there any law on this?

They are still valid, but as above might not be accepted in shops if they think it was stolen/forged.

A bank note is, in one sense, a written contract so damage to the memorandum does not necessarily invalidate the contract.

There might also be something in the bills of exchange acts that the freemen are always going on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

A bank note is just a token. A shop might be reluctant to take a damaged one, but the central bank will.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Lbeard

I believe if you approach a bank they will give you a replacement note, but they may want to know where you got the damaged one. Also I think this applies to shops - they're meant to take them out of circulation.

If someone is spending stolen or forged cash, or trying to launder it in shops, they can often be caught quickly. If they're incredibly stupid, they'll go in every day with a dodgy 50 and buying a pack of chewing gum.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

One thing I was thinking about recently is how sometimes shops make a big show if checking a note, holding it up to the light, uv'ing it etc. all that is unnecessary if you discretely check the grooves on the right hand side with your finger. While I appreciate the need to avoid forged notes, it can be quite offensive.

The next time someone in a shop does the big song and dance with me, I'm tempted to hold the change up to the light, bite the coins etc.

One thing I was thinking about recently is how sometimes shops make a big show if checking a note, holding it up to the light, uv'ing it etc. all that is unnecessary if you discretely check the grooves on the right hand side with your finger.

While I appreciate the need to avoid forged notes, it can be quite offensive.

You mean ever so subtly implying you look like a criminal.........Maybe you do. Maybe you are. Though who isn't these days.
    The next time someone in a shop does the big song and dance with me, I'm tempted to hold the change up to the light, bite the coins etc.

No. The thing is they do get badly burned. They can be busy and if they're not concentrating, a really duff forgery can get past them. And they can get hit with a few in rapid succession.

There are other tricks to. Walk into a shop that's very busy, where the checkout person is rushed. Open your wallet to get your cash, have a 50 very visibly poking out, but pull a 20 from behind it. They'll often give you change of a 50. It can happen the other way too - they see a twenty poking out, and you pay a fifty, then have a row over the change.

Lbeard wrote: »
    You mean ever so subtly implying you look like a criminal.........Maybe you do. Maybe you are. Though who isn't these days.

I love the ad for FBD insurance where the nosy shop keepers spend their whole time watching the boy racer in a track suit as he buys a bag of crisps and then leaves. Meanwhile, a respectable old lady empties the till.

But yeah, I do have a bit of a criminal head on me. But that's ok, forged notes is Thomas Crown. Better than being a Dessie O Hare type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The junkies with the dyed notes buy the cheapest ticket on the Luas through the machine and pocket the change.

• Advertisement

I love the ad for FBD insurance where the nosy shop keepers spend their whole time watching the boy racer in a track suit as he buys a bag of crisps and then leaves. Meanwhile, a respectable old lady empties the till.

I knew someone who ran a Cash'n'Carry. Old ladies running small rural shops were the worst lifters. They never called the guards, more "Nice try sister, but not this time...thanks for shopping, see you next month".
    But yeah, I do have a bit of a criminal head on me. But that's ok, forged notes is Thomas Crown. Better than being a Dessie O Hare type.

Where is Dessie these days?..........I'd heard he'd become a Buddhist monk... I'm not joking either. .....a very angry, and very much permanently on the verge of psychotic violence Buddhist monk, but one nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

One thing I was thinking about recently is how sometimes shops make a big show if checking a note, holding it up to the light, uv'ing it etc. all that is unnecessary if you discretely check the grooves on the right hand side with your finger. While I appreciate the need to avoid forged notes, it can be quite offensive.

I work in a shop and we are always told to check 50's or upper.

Thing is, I always do it, just because the customer is an old lady or so, they usually don't know if they have a fake note or such.

The amount of fakes I have seen, that wouldnt look like a fake at all, it's amazing. For all we know, we could be carrying fake notes. It's not always the customers fault.

It's happened, an old lady came in one night, just out of the arcade. Handed me a ten euro note that looked really real. Decided to do a spot check just to be sure, and it turned out fake. Thing was, she was shocked. I told her to bring it back into the arcade and the manager came back in apologising, didnt know how the fake note was allowed into their system.

So like I said, it's not always the customers fault and your covering your own ass at the end of the day. If you accepted maybe twenty fifty euro notes in a day, and ten of them were fake, thats more then likely 500 euro cut from your paycheck when your boss finds out you didnt check those notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Just saying. Still it only takes 5 seconds to check a note, even use a money checking marker, takes a second, saves a lot of hassel down the line.

Advertisement