Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bobby Fischer videos

• 29-09-2013 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Not sure if this warrants a thread, so mods feel free to remove.
    However I thought it may be of general interest.

I like to read sports biographies and a family member bought me 'End Game', the Bobby Fischer bio. I must admit, I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it.

As you guys will appreciate, he was a complex character and the book provoked an interest in chess (mainly history, am not a player, but learning for fun).

Anyway, I came across this link of videos related to Fischer, which I found interesting and wanted to share with others interested in chess history.

https://sites.google.com/site/connecticutchessmagazine/bobby-fischer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

The latest one "Bobby Fischer Against the World" is also well worth a watch.
    It can be found on youtube without too much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Celtic What?

Indeed, I liked that film.

"Fischer is to chess, what Ali is to boxing"

He made chess 'cool' in a way it never was before.
    Magnus is an icon now...but doesn't have that appeal I think..

Anything akin to Fischer in other sports?

Ronnie O'Sullivan in snooker was suggested..tainted genius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Genius and an appetite for self-destruction often seem to come hand-in-hand. George Best is another one.
    Both shy characters with an inescapable desire to achieve perfection.
    Best could never do so because how do you achieve perfection in something as chaotic as football?
    Fischer achieved his goals and didn't have the hunger to go further.
    The chess is probably what kept him relatively sane, and when he didn't have it anymore he lost the plot.

Advertisement