Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 week road trip-how much money

Options
  • 29-09-2013 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Ill be going on a 4 week raod trip of the states soon, wondering how much cash Ill need

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Depends on your spending habit and what you need to pay for on the trip.

Car Rental (Credit Card)
    Fuel (Credit Card)
    Hotel/Motel (Credit Card)
    Eating out (Card/Cash)
    Souvenirs (Cash)

I would recommend whatever you bring, try keep it to no more than 1000 - 1500 cash and a credit card with the balance. Use the cash only when you need to (i.e. where card is not available) Card should always be preferred option.

Also cash charges on ATM's differ over in USA so I would always recommend to use an actual bank ATM like chase (who ironically accepted my AIB laser card back in the day)

Tip for driving: Ensure your license is in date and nowhere close to expiring. Also if its in tatters get a new one. Carry it in the car at ALL Times, If you are stopped on a highway its not the same as being stopped here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Heres an outline of the plan, would appreciate tips and advice. I feel like this trip could cost a bomb

http://www.planyourroadtrip.com/#/map/usertrip/9540f338d3dd2814

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

That must be the vaguest question ever asked on boards... If you give a little more info, more people may be able to give advice. Where is your journey starting/finishing? have you paid for the car hotels etc or are you paying for these out there? How many ways will hotel bills etc be split or are you going on you own? Will you be eating well or McDonalds all the way? Etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I would bring a CC with a good amount of balance on it.

Car will require a cc deposit
    hotels will require a cc deposit - they don't generally "unfreeze" the deposit for few days, so you need to make sure you have enough to see though
    Food is not that expensive (or at least doesn't have to be) but it'll add up over 4 weeks
    Fuel is running on average $3.50 -> $4 a gallon - a lot cheaper than Ireland, but depending on the type of car you have it could rack up expenses.

Seriously, If I was considering this trip, I would be wanting access to $5000 to $6000 and want a bit more in reserve.

Fly into Dallas texas-stay 2 nights-road trip starts

Austin-stay 1 night

San Antonia- 1 night

Heuston-1 night

New Orleans--2 nights

Tuscaloosa-1 night

Memphis-2 nights

Nashville-2 nights

Athens-1 night

Savanah-2 nights

Daytona Beach-1 night

Miami-4 nights

Road trip part of trip ends

Fly from miami to washington dc-

washington dc-1 night

Train from washington to newyork

New york-3 nights

Train from newyork to boston ma

Boston ma-1 night

Boston to home

I think I can stetch my budget in total for everything to 10k US Dollars

Can I get adice on how to make this as cost effective as possible, should I book all hotels now or could I stay in motels for the majority of places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'd make some reservations for the bigger cities. New Orleans, Miami, New York, DC and Boston. (If possible dont pay in advance though so you can cancel.) The rest are full of endless surburban sprawl jammed with hotels.

Renting a car in texas and dropping it off in Florida will incur an xtra charge. DONT skimp on the insurance.

One night in DC seems short. You'll get to your hotel and have to be out the next morning and back to the train station.

4 nights in nashville and memphis but only 2 nights in DC and boston? You must like country music...

:)

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I'd make some reservations for the bigger cities. New Orleans, Miami, New York, DC and Boston. (If possible dont pay in advance though so you can cancel.) The rest are full of endless surburban sprawl jammed with hotels.

Renting a car in texas and dropping it off in Florida will incur an xtra charge. DONT skimp on the insurance.

Would it be possible to go with a car company in miami and collect the car in dallas so I will actually be bringing it back to them

what about the texas cities?

Would it be possible to go with a car company in miami and collect the car in dallas so I will actually be bringing it back to them

Think of each state as a different country, different insurance rules, car registration rules etc etc.

If you hire a car registered in Texas and return it in Florida, it then has to be put on a car transporter and shipped back to Texas. SO they charge you for that.

Some neighbouring states have arrangements between them but you'd need to phone each company and find out. Somebody here may know more, its been covered a few times in threads I think.

Usually I think its just something you have to budget for. It can be a couple of hundred bucks.

• Advertisement

what about the texas cities?

Austin maybe. In Dallas and Huston you're more likely to stay out of town anyway. The city centres are pretty bleak i hear. Not sure about San Antonio, i expect you'll just dash in there, see the alamo and then get on the road for Huston right?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

2 nights in Dallas but only 1 in Austin??

MadsL wrote: »
    2 nights in Dallas but only 1 in Austin??

Good point. I've heard really good things about austin but never heard a nice word about dallas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Your trip your dream - enjoy : )
    Have you booked it already - flights & stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Good point. I've heard really good things about austin but never heard a nice word about dallas.

Austin. Is. Awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Seems all national parks are closing cos of this govt shutdown crap ...

Yup, A few museums too. Especially in DC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

and in SF - alcatraz is shut, as are the national parks/monuments in the city

Advertisement