Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overheating PS3

Options
  • 29-09-2013 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum, a mod might move it if not.

My old fat PS3 has been having alot of trouble running GTAV. Ive been getting random freezes, lockups during loading screens and broken missions. I first tried the database rebuild and file system restore in safe mode, which didnt help. I then did a full restore to no effect. Next I formatted and error checked the console's hard drive in my pc - came up fine.

So then I put it down to overheating as the thing is way hotter than usual when running the game. The disk would come out almost like a piece of toast! So I took it apart, cleaned the blu ray lens, and put on new thermal paste on the cpu and gpu. After all that, the game is still crashing or simply not able to install.

To rule out the disk, Ive tried the game on a friend's PS3 and it works perfectly. So the problem is my console and now Im thinking it might be the blu ray player as that is the side that is melting when then game is running. My friend's PS3 is cool to the touch after 2+ hours while mine is smoking.

Anyone have any experience of such a problem and any success swapping out the bluray drive?

Comments

Advertisement