Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP Adress question

Options
  • 29-09-2013 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hey I really hope this is correct but I have a computer question.
    Is the IP adress something that is decided by the broadband box or the device itself?
    I mean
    Would my computer, phone and laptop all have the same IP adress since they get the broadband from the one box or would all three have unique adresses since they are 3 different machines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

LOSTfan57 wrote: »
    Hey I really hope this is correct but I have a computer question.
    Is the IP adress something that is decided by the broadband box or the device itself?
    I mean
    Would my computer, phone and laptop all have the same IP adress since they get the broadband from the one box or would all three have unique adresses since they are 3 different machines.

They would all have the same external or public ip, but different internal or private ips.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

Shzm wrote: »
    They would all have the same external or public ip, but different internal or private

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Private addresses exist only on your local network, your router replaces private addresses with your public one for packets destined for the internet and vice versa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation). Also depending on your provider, your public IP is most likely dynamic, ie. your provider issue your router a different public IP every so often, reboot your router and you'll most likely get a different one.

Advertisement