Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL Dilemma

Options
  • 29-09-2013 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am moving to Alicante in Spain next month and have a bit of a dilemma on which course to do.
    I can do a CELTA in Valencia, €1600 and €300 rent or
    I can do a Dip TESOL in Alicante in a new school who say they will give me a job after I've done the course. Course costs €1800, I have free accommodation.

I know CELTA is a better qualification but the promise of a job is selling the TESOL to me, even though the qualification is not as good. I have called in to the school and met the staff, all very nice, fancy new office, 2nd office just opened in Alicante, thus looking for new teachers. I asked for an email asking to guarantee me a job, they said if I'm good enough they'll take me basically.

It is a new TESOL course so there are no reviews to check out but also means good time to do it jobwise.
    The accreditation is from London Teacher Training College which hasn't got great reviews.

Am wondering if it's worth the risk to go with the new course or go for CELTA?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

It depends what your plans for the future. If you're going to Spain for a few years and then coming home, the TESOL sounds grand as it sounds like it'll land you a job; however, if you want to continue to travel and teach in various places, then I'd go with CELTA regardless. You'll get work in Spain with it - no bother.

Advertisement