Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flannerys or The Connaught

Options
  • 29-09-2013 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Which one would you suggest for midweek solo business traveller? Based on other criteria, I've narrowed the choice down to these two hotels.

I know The Connaught has leisure facilities but I don't partake in that so not a deciding factor. Also, rooms don't have to have all mod cons or classy decor - just clean and comfortable (not pokey). Don't need WiFi.

Main items I'd be interested in are:
    • what are the breakfasts like
    • do they have nice evening bar food
    • what are the restaurants like (i.e.any better than bar food?)
    • are the reception areas suitable for relaxing if you're bored in the bedroom but don't fancy sitting in the bar?

Any insight at all would be great.

Thanks
    MQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Id say get a hotel in town and relax where you want and get dinner where you want, both out of the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭moochers

Hey OP

The Menlo Park hotel does great food and has great rates on rooms so check it out on Trip Advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Thanks for the suggestions.

The main reason I had narrowed it down to these two hotels is location. I will be working in the area - possibly very long days and won't have any time to exploring the city. Basically sleep work eat sleep work eat.

Also, I can get a room in either for no more than €50 a night and won't have any taxi costs getting from hotel to work venue. All adds up!!!

The decision now is which one to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

MsQuinn wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions.

The main reason I had narrowed it down to these two hotels is location. I will be working in the area - possibly very long days and won't have any time to exploring the city. Basically sleep work eat sleep work eat.

Also, I can get a room in either for no more than €50 a night and won't have any taxi costs getting from hotel to work venue. All adds up!!!

The decision now is which one to choose.

both hotels are grand connaught is bigger and newer go with that but flannerys is spot on as well.

Based on nothing more than their external appearance, I would go for the Connaught.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

They're very similar. I'd go with the Connaught though, personally, as it's a quick walk down to the cinema if you want to get out of there in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Have stayed in the Connaught a few times when I had to overnight on Galway. It is absolutely fine. Wifi in the bedrooms (free) and the bar food was very nice. They normally have a main course and pint/glass of wine deal and anytime I stayed there there was no problem in me bringing it to my room to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Thanks all - think I'll go with the Connaught then

• Registered Users Posts: 14 splash221

Stayed here 1998 and tonight it's worse freezing rooms pool etc

Staff are all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

splash221 wrote: »
    Stayed here 1998 and tonight it's worse freezing rooms pool etc

Staff are all over the place

stayed where?

• Advertisement
Advertisement