Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Trapatoni was worth €2m a year what is Davey Fitz worth

• 29-09-2013 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

I may get panned for this but I couldn't help comparing the decision making of Davey to put in Shane ODonnell straight in at full forward based on performances in training etc with the refusal of Trapatoni to make any changes to the team at the Euros despite loads of evidence that there were better players available.
    Davey Fitz looked at the drawn game and saw that goals were needed to win the replay and, at least, made a change to try and achieve that. No hiding around lazy crap like the team that got us here deserve to play in both finals etc etc.

And, while Davy is probably being paid something, Trap's interpreter was probably getting as much as Davey is being paid never mind what Tardelli etc were getting.

Comments

GAA ugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A box of Twix and all the turf he can carry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Three Fiddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

It's pointless to compare the two tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Fair balls on the decision but he is still a complete ****head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

rarnes1 wrote: »
    GAA ugh

Someone clearly must have held a gun to your head and forced you to come on and get involved in this thread.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Well 0 seeing as he is an amateur sportsman.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Someone clearly must have held a gun to your head and forced you to come on and get involved in this thread.

Yes they did

up the gah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Can you prove Trapatoni was worth €2 million a year .?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

**** Gah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

dixiefly wrote: »
    And, while Davy is probably being paid something, Trap's interpreter was probably getting as much as Davey is being paid never mind what Tardelli etc were getting.

He is worth whatever he is paid, give or take bad representation negotiating his wages.

If that is on 50k or petrol money or whatever thats what he is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Well Mourinho is worth more if Mario Rosenstock is anytime to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well 0 seeing as he is an amateur sportsman.

Only people not paid are the players. I'd say Davy Fitz is making a very comfortable wage. At least six figures. That said, he's doing a job he'd probably do for free anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I really hate it when people try to make like for like comparisons about players or managers in two completely different sporting environments.

Its silly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

I really hate it when people try to make like for like comparisons about players or managers in two completely different sporting environments.

Its silly

not even comparing football but hurling of all games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

In fairness to the OP, he's not comparing the games. He is comparing how the managers analysed their matches and made changes accordingly based on needs and form. They are comparable.

Davy Fitz did what he had to do. Trap just plodded along with the same old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

I wouldn't compare Davy Fitz to Trap. Trap would never - in his days managing Ireland anyway - make the bold decisions that Davy Fitz makes.

Jose Mourinho is more like Davy Fitz in terms of personality and the way he handles the media etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Would the wealth of precocious talent available to Trap be anywhere near that available to the Clare senior hurling team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Fair balls on the decision but he is still a complete ****head.

So is Fitz.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Who?

I found myself asking this question more than anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Three questions;
    1. Do I need to get out more?
    2. Am I missing something?
    3. What the fcuk has ''Davey Fitz'' got to do with football/soccer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

They have tactics in gaa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

dixiefly wrote: »
    I may get panned for this but I couldn't help comparing the decision making of Davey to put in Shane ODonnell straight in at full forward based on performances in training etc with the refusal of Trapatoni to make any changes to the team at the Euros despite loads of evidence that there were better players available.
    Davey Fitz looked at the drawn game and saw that goals were needed to win the replay and, at least, made a change to try and achieve that. No hiding around lazy crap like the team that got us here deserve to play in both finals etc etc.

Davey was also the man who put a young debutant in for his first Championship match in a Munster final against Tipp a few years ago. The young Waterford player was put up against Lar Corbert, Tipp scored 7 goals that day, Lar scored 4, the young lad only lasted 28 minutes on the pitch.

Davey is not some sort of tactical genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

CR 7 wrote: »
    They have tactics in gaa?

If 90's Wimbledon had tactics, then yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Mars Bar wrote: »
    In fairness to the OP, he's not comparing the games. He is comparing how the managers analysed their matches and made changes accordingly based on needs and form. They are comparable.

Davy Fitz did what he had to do. Trap just plodded along with the same old.
    Yes, this is the point I was making, not trying to compare hurling and soccer. I know that Davey Fitz has many faults but Saturday just highlighted the paucity of the approach under Trap who wouldn't even bring in new blood for the last game of the Euro finals and hid behind claptrap like sticking by the players that got us there.

Even Noel King can show him up in a way. If reports of games King is attending is correct he has probably nearly attended as many games as Trap did already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

If 90's Wimbledon had tactics, then yes.

With a reply like that, one can assume you have never watched a game of hurling/football in your life. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

You're taking one example (in another sport) that paid well handsomely to suggest that young guys should be put straight in.

1) O'Donnell had played league matches and earlier round games, so it's not like he was sprung from nowhere. Trap generally picked guys who played well in friendlies.
    2) Davy picked an 18-year old to start the All-Ireland final in 2008, in a surprise decision, and it went disasterously. So it doesnt always work to just pick young players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

grenache wrote: »
    With a reply like that, one can assume you have never watched a game of hurling/football in your life. :rolleyes:

Actually feel GAA lags behind soccer in terms of tactics. People were wondering what Cork would do because "Clare played an extra defender"

No doubt there are tactics and pre-rehersed move, but media scrutiny and analysis of it is mostly non existant, which in turns lowers the general publics intrepretation of what tactics do exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

grenache wrote: »

Huumf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A Seat Exeo with mileage and insurance paid for and a nice gentlemans agreement for a win bonus - oh wait - joke answers: a years supply of Mikado and Kimberlys with a tin of USA biscuits for the kidz at Xmas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Trap is a far superior manager to Davey Fitz. Medals on the table.

Advertisement