Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Wine Pricing

Options
  • 29-09-2013 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering your thoughts on this...

The wine we buy, I took a pic of SEL as I noticed over a while the pricing is all over the place... What do ye think, noticed anything like this?

1. Standard non promo price €8.00, pic taken early May '13

IMAG1085.jpg

2. Promotion!!! Mid May...

IMAG1084.jpg

Never bothered to take pics I between last and next...

3. Promotion!! Ends 25th Sept

20130914_185906.jpg

4. New Promotion from 26th September - a price rise from previous, but now there was 25% off when you buy 6+, went from lost of €9.99 to €9.00 increasing from €8 the previous week, no pic here and tesco.ie isn't working for me...

I know in the UK, a product must be on sale at a higher price for 12 weeks straight before being able to promote back down, this definitely wasn't the case in may... Does the same rule apply in Ireland?

It just makes me mad, how much yoyo'ing is going on and if there is deliberate deception it makes me :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

This is the exact same way every sale in every retail channel has worked ever. I'm not saying it's right (laws had to be introduced to protect the idiots that thought X product really was marked down from £6000 to £1.99) but it's pretty standard.

Buy your wine in Lidl or Aldi and get it cheaper, or better yet join a good wine club and buy it by the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I never trust was x amount, now it's x amount. Particularly with alcohol. 20 bottles of beer was €20 now €15.the standard price 20 bottles of beer of pissy beer is always €15. The same with wine going "on special".

I currently work in a shop and when people see something reduced even if its just 25% and the item is out of date. They will buy it and a lot of it. Humans like to think they are getting a bargain although they are no getting a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

In the UK you always hear of the big grocery chains getting fined for this but how come never in Ireland, thats what annoys me...

Eg - Tesco 'half-price strawberries' deal prompts red faces and £300,000 fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

In the UK you always hear of the big grocery chains getting fined for this but how come never in Ireland, thats what annoys me...

Eg - Tesco 'half-price strawberries' deal prompts red faces and £300,000 fine

They fined ONE or TWO shops on one occasion - there are 70 million people in the uK and price gouging there is the absolute worst in the world.

"Does anyone here believe "after event price" as used by the recent introduction of DFS.
    Or is there really a basic bottle of chilean sauv blanc that has a rrp of 15.99 aka Tesco (now half price at 7.99, but equivalent available in Aldi for 5.99)

Rules in Ireland are as lax as the UK - in the UK they only have to have the high price for 28 days in ONE outlet in the whole country before they can claim it is discounted.-, and in the case of furniture stores, that price is usually in a binder that is rarely if ever seen by the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Searched for ages for this.
    http://www.consumerhelp.ie/price-promotions

When running price promotions or 'special offers', it’s against the law for businesses to give a false or misleading previous price. For example, if the retailer crosses out one price and replaces it with another, lower, price, the goods in question must have been on sale in the same place, or a significant number of outlets in the case of a chain, at that previous price for a reasonable time. The definition of "a reasonable time" is not specified by law, but our guidelines state that goods should have been on sale for 28 consecutive days in the 3 months before the price was reduced.

• Advertisement

ken wrote: »
    Searched for ages for this.
    http://www.consumerhelp.ie/price-promotions

When running price promotions or 'special offers', it’s against the law for businesses to give a false or misleading previous price. For example, if the retailer crosses out one price and replaces it with another, lower, price, the goods in question must have been on sale in the same place, or a significant number of outlets in the case of a chain, at that previous price for a reasonable time. The definition of "a reasonable time" is not specified by law, but our guidelines state that goods should have been on sale for 28 consecutive days in the 3 months before the price was reduced.

For Tesco so this week...

25th Sept 9.99 -> 8.00

26th Instore Price 8.00 -> 9.00, SEL says 9.99 -> 9.00, surely not to be misleading it should be 9.99, was 8.00, now 9.00...

Not to mention the number of products they sell, ABOVE the manufacturers RSP, basically all the grocery chains are ripping people off to line their own pockets... With Ireland one of Tesco's most profitable markets... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

That's why lidl & aldi are so good. All year round good prices. Tesco wonder why their sales are declining. Everyweek you shop there the prices change.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The definition of "a reasonable time" is not specified by law

That is typical of the poor standard of Consumer Law in this country

Vague and open to interpretation - exactly what Consumers do not need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

was 8.00, now 9.00...
    No supermarket ever will put up a sticker announcing a price increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

With Ireland one of Tesco's most profitable markets... :mad:
    I'm never one to defend tesco, however on the oft used statement that Ireland was one of their most profitable markets, the difference between their margin in Ireland and UK on the particular year that that comment was made about was 0.2% - their profit was 7.1% in Ireland and 6.9% in UK - hardly a gigantic difference, and about normal for the sector.

Ireland is far more profitable than many other non-UK markets as they have suffered major losses in many of the markets they entered, esp USA. - So in theory the comment is true, but like every statistic, it can be used in many ways.

BTW - at least most of tesco's profits go to shareholders, most of whom are pension funds and many Irish people's pensions would have a few shares in Tesco via a market fund, Dunnes on the other hand will never reveal any financial info and all profits stay within a small group of less than a dozen people! - Same with Aldi & Lidl!

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    That is typical of the poor standard of Consumer Law in this country

Vague and open to interpretation - exactly what Consumers do not need.

Yes it is typical of this country, it's really sub standard and fustrating... Vague laws aren't worth the paper they are written on as open to different interpretation...
    No supermarket ever will put up a sticker announcing a price increase.

Well the likes of Argos do... Now on a better than half price sale, but at the bottom shows a previous lower price, more transparent, but Argos aren't squeaky clean either from reports.

dc61b62d26a3b5330faeee31ad814cf5.jpg

Appreciate profits slightly more than the uk, but from memory they are running a higher % margin than indigenous competition, albeit now in the recent year they are suffering large declines vs 2011/12 with losing shoppers to Discounters, with Aldi winning the best, currently...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

1. Standard non promo price €8.00, pic taken early May '13

2. Promotion!!! Mid May...

IMAG1084.jpg

When running price promotions or 'special offers', it’s against the law for businesses to give a false or misleading previous price. For example, if the retailer crosses out one price and replaces it with another, lower, price, the goods in question must have been on sale in the same place, or a significant number of outlets in the case of a chain, at that previous price for a reasonable time. The definition of "a reasonable time" is not specified by law, but our guidelines state that goods should have been on sale for 28 consecutive days in the 3 months before the price was reduced

The argument here will be that during April and early May, that wine was selling somewhere 100 miles from you for €9.99. They can essentially quarter the country, and each store will get to have the promo on for 9 months of the year, then for the other 3 months it will be that store's turn to be the high price. But while it's this store's turn to be high on that wine, it will have promos on other wines.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Many wine-knowledgeable people have long complained about supermarket (not just Tesco) when it comes to wine. Here's an article from June 2013 in the Telegraph about supermarket wine 'bargains'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭cml387

dudara wrote: »
    Many wine-knowledgeable people have long complained about supermarket (not just Tesco) when it comes to wine. Here's an article from June 2013 in the Telegraph about supermarket wine 'bargains'.
    Indeed, and the wine guy on Sean Moncrieff last Friday was making exactly the same point.
    In my view Lidl and Aldi 6 euro wines are generally as good if not better than most of the 10 euro plus bottles available in Tesco.

That being said I believe that Superquinn have a good sale on this week..

Thoie wrote: »
    The argument here will be that during April and early May, that wine was selling somewhere 100 miles from you for €9.99. They can essentially quarter the country, and each store will get to have the promo on for 9 months of the year, then for the other 3 months it will be that store's turn to be the high price. But while it's this store's turn to be high on that wine, it will have promos on other wines.

Such BS really, no clarity and no useful regulation! :rolleyes:
    cml387 wrote: »
    Indeed, and the wine guy on Sean Moncrieff last Friday was making exactly the same point.
    In my view Lidl and Aldi 6 euro wines are generally as good if not better than most of the 10 euro plus bottles available in Tesco.

That being said I believe that Superquinn have a good sale on this week..

Tbh I have not bought wine before in Lidl or Aldi, but I certainly will be heading there at the weekend and see what they have to offer... Any suggestions on a nice Pinot Grigio?

And Tesco wonder why they are losing shoppers hand over fist to Discounters, maybe if they stopped trying to mislead comsumers day in day out might be a good place to start...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭cml387

Such BS really, no clarity and no useful regulation! :rolleyes:

Tbh I have not bought wine before in Lidl or Aldi, but I certainly will be heading there at the weekend and see what they have to offer... Any suggestions on a nice Pinot Grigio?

And Tesco wonder why they are losing shoppers hand over fist to Discounters, maybe if they stopped trying to mislead comsumers day in day out might be a good place to start...

Haven't tried the Pinot's, but I'd recommend the Aldi Shiraz's .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The more annoying thing for me was that the duty on wine went up €1, but almost all Tesco wines went up by €2 plus! Their "half price" wines were often €6 but these days they start at €8 most of the time

Ya totally, that wine I was quoting last year used to be a regular price of €7 or €7.99 and promo to €6... Now normal price is €9.99 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Three for two Each bottle costs E9.50. The price for three? E25. That's special.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread, closed

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement