Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I drop Chemistry? (4th Year)

• 29-09-2013 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi, After a month of doing Chemistry, I think it is time I dropped it since I don't have a genuine interest in the subject and I am finding it too difficult to learn off.

There are definitely subjects that I would have more interest in and would enjoy more, which are on at the same time as Chemistry but one thing that could make me regret the subject is :

It is needed for 3 college courses (Pharmacy, Dentistry, Medicine). I might change my mind in the next year and try to get into one of those courses but then again, Don't you need to have a genuine interest in Chemistry to pursue those careers anyways even though I clearly hate the subject?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

"Do everything with love."

If you hate the subject, drop it. If you enjoy the subject, continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭finisher489

"Do everything with love."

If you hate the subject, drop it. If you enjoy the subject, continue.

OK, thanks, I'll drop it now since it seems utterly useless if I don't enjoy the subject and properly won't pursue the courses that it's required for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Hi, After a month of doing Chemistry, I think it is time I dropped it since I don't have a genuine interest in the subject and I am finding it too difficult to learn off.

There are definitely subjects that I would have more interest in and would enjoy more, which are on at the same time as Chemistry but one thing that could make me regret the subject is :

It is needed for 3 college courses (Pharmacy, Dentistry, Medicine). I might change my mind in the next year and try to get into one of those courses but then again, Don't you need to have a genuine interest in Chemistry to pursue those careers anyways even though I clearly hate the subject?:confused:

What have you done? The history of the atom if even. If you absolutely hate chemistry I can't see you doing any of the courses above. Switch to something you like. A lot of lads I know switched to accounting but they'd already done a year, if only transition year, doing chemistry.

Days 298 wrote: »
    What have you done? The history of the atom if even. If you absolutely hate chemistry I can't see you doing any of the courses above. Switch to something you like. A lot of lads I know switched to accounting but they'd already done a year, if only transition year, doing chemistry.

We did Acids and Bases first then History of the Atom, Arrangement of Electrons in the Atom and now we're on The Periodic Table.

Acids and Bases was fine but the chapters we're doing now on the atoms just don't make sense to me and I dislike them but more importantly, I absolutely hate the experiments (I have no clue what's going on when we're doing them) Flame tests weren't bad but anion tests and preparation of a standard solution make no sense at all.

Also, I would absolutely love to do accounting but It's on at the same period as Economics (Which I like also). The only subjects on at the same time as Chemistry are Geography, History, Classical Studies and some practical ones. I'm going to choose Classical Studies. Also, I will have to drop LCVP once I drop Chemistry since I will no longer qualify for it with my subject choice but I'm starting to dislike the way only 10% of the people who do it get the distinction which is only worth a C1 (Ridiculous)

Regardless of whether it is required for a course or not, it may still be needed or beneficial to have.
    If you see yourself doing any science course in college, I would advise that you stick with it. It is considered the hardest of the science subjects to pick up if you didn't do it at LC level. Trinity even do a week pre lectures where they teach the LC curriculum broadly to give some students an understanding of it because it poses a problem for many students in science courses who didn't do it for their Leaving Cert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭m0ynihan

You'll regret dropping it, when I was in 4th year everything just went straight over my head until I suddenly had a "Eureka!" moment halfway through 5th year and everything clicked all of a sudden. The exam isn't particularly difficult either, the marking scheme fecks things up a bit though.

m0ynihan wrote: »
    You'll regret dropping it, when I was in 4th year everything just went straight over my head until I suddenly had a "Eureka!" moment halfway through 5th year and everything clicked all of a sudden. The exam isn't particularly difficult either, the marking scheme fecks things up a bit though.

I'll only regret it if I change my mind to do Dentistry, Pharmacy or Medicine but I'm pretty sure I won't pursue those courses since Medicine requires the H-PAT, Dentistry requires precision work with your hands and too much Chemistry and then Pharmacy is all Chemistry.

If anything I'll regret doing Chemistry actually, our teacher is making it hell for some students and goes ballistic during the experiments. On top of that, the subject just doesn't make sense so YEAH! I've come to realize now that I'd be a fool for taking it.

Advertisement