Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report a thread.

Options
  • 29-09-2013 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭

Is there a better way of reporting a thread as a whole apart from reporting the OP?

This seems unfair to me as the OP can't be held responsible for the direction a thread they created takes, obviously sending a PM about a thread is an option but the impact of a report is lost if the Mods of the forum are offline.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Generally when someone reports a thread they will make the point that it's not the specific post they've reported (whether it's the OP or a later post) that's the issue, but the thread as a whole. Once that's made clear so that the mods know what to look at I don't see any problem with it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Plenty of posts are reported for info - doesn't have to be a "problem" post. Indeed some posters will report their own posts if they want to alert the mods to something

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Is there a better way of reporting a thread as a whole apart from reporting the OP?

This seems unfair to me as the OP can't be held responsible for the direction a thread they created takes, obviously sending a PM about a thread is an option but the impact of a report is lost if the Mods of the forum are offline.

It's very useful when people report any post in the thread and give a reason like "This thread needs mod attention because xyz..." Speaking personally, I generally tend not to look at the specific post that was reported in too much detail anyway, I read the thread first and get a feel of the tone.

The OP will never know their post was reported and more than likely, no action will be taken against them unless they have violated the charter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Thanks for the replies guys.

I just feel that a report button for a dodgy thread would be a much cleaner system.

The reason I say this if I report a thread via the OP, it needlessly brings that user into the reported posts forum and may flick a switch in a mods mind when another one of their posts is reported, ie. 'your name rings a bell Sonny Jim, been a naughty boy again, have we?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Not so. Infractions, warnings and bans are on record but not reports. I'm more likely to notice who regularly reports a post than notice who's post was reported until I read the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Aside from that anybody can report a users post so for obvious reasons the mere fact someone is reporting you, isn't held against you.

Advertisement