Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 running hot.. and very loud

Options
  • 29-09-2013 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

I've a fat PS3, have it since they were first released. Never really had any problems with it.

Playing GTA V recently and the fan goes into overdrive after an hour or so. The console becomes really hot too. I've already disassembled it to remove dust etc. I'm afraid of my life that it's going to die on me before I finish the game!

Would it be safe or mental to put a 5 litre bottle of frozen water wrapped in a towel next to it to help keep it cool? I've heard of people do this before, but am unsure if it's advisable. I'm guessing the towel would absorb any condensation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Im in exactly the same boat man!

Are you getting any freezes or mission lockups/bugs?

I took it apart to to clean out dust but also put on new thermal paste on the processors and cleaned the drive lens. Its running crazy hot compared to my mate's PS3 which is running the game fine and running cool. I think its the blu ray drive is knackered on mine. Thats the side thats so hot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Yep.. it freezes every so often but only for a few seconds. Never had that happen for me with the PS3 before.

The fan is really struggling to keep the system cool. If it was going any faster I'd say it'd take off!

I don't think it's the blu-ray drive that's the problem for me. Afaik, when they start acting up you tend to hear the mechanics of it going a little crazy.

Yep.. it freezes every so often but only for a few seconds. Never had that happen for me with the PS3 before.

The fan is really struggling to keep the system cool. If it was going any faster I'd say it'd take off!

I don't think it's the blu-ray drive that's the problem for me. Afaik, when they start acting up you tend to hear the mechanics of it going a little crazy.

When yours gets hot, is it all concentrated on the right hand side where the disk drive is?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Agricola wrote: »
    When yours gets hot, is it all concentrated on the right hand side where the disk drive is?

Doesn't seem hotter on any one side for me.. just the bottom side of the console in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

AFAIK GTA V Makes every PS3 run overdrive. I regularly clean mine and it still makes a loud fan noise 2 hours into a game. Try getting one of those cheap USB laptop fans and use it under the PS3.

• Advertisement

Turns out mine was a dieing Bluray drive. Got a new one off ebay, temps are pretty much normal now. (I did redo the thermal compound again while at it though)

Might actually get to play GTAV now!

Advertisement