Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper alternative to Royal Canin?

• 29-09-2013 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

My parents feeding their own 2 cats plus 2/3 others that are strays. They're using Royal Canin, I think it's the feline beauty one, but it's just too expensive even though he's buying it in bulk and they're eating him out of house and home. I use Applaws but I know that he'd find the smell too strong to have in his house.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to the Royal Canin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I've just switched to Porta 21 Sensible - it's very good value at 39 Euro for a 10kg bag and both cats seem to like it. Can't comment on the smell as I've never been bothered by that kind of thing. :)

http://m.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/porta_21/feline_finest/170966?previousProductGroupId=20758

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I've just switched to Porta 21 Sensible - it's very good value at 39 Euro for a 10kg bag and both cats seem to like it. Can't comment on the smell as I've never been bothered by that kind of thing. :)

http://m.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/porta_21/feline_finest/170966?previousProductGroupId=20758

Jesus Christ 39 euro for 10 kilo?? If that's a cheap alternitave then how much is royal canine??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ 39 euro for 10 kilo?? If that's a cheap alternitave then how much is royal canine??
    You could pay anything between €60-70 for the 10kg equivalent of RC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Porta21 as noted, Almo Nature Holistic or Applaws. To deal with the smell how about something like this?

anniehoo wrote: »
    You could pay anything between €60-70 for the 10kg equivalent of RC

Holy sh1t. That's an incredible amount of money to feed an animal that eats mice and rats. OP are they pedigree champion bred cats?
    My mother feeds our cat basic normal supermarket food And scraps. It still walking along the rooftop of the house and even along the edge of the gutter. Climbs fences with ease. The cat is 18 next week
    And that cat is not an exception... Most of her previous cats lived from 12-16 and only died from being too fond of the road!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Holy sh1t. That's an incredible amount of money to feed an animal that eats mice and rats. OP are they pedigree champion bred cats?
    My mother feeds our cat basic normal supermarket food And scraps. It still walking along the rooftop of the house and even along the edge of the gutter. Climbs fences with ease. The cat is 18 next week
    And that cat is not an exception... Most of her previous cats lived from 12-16 and only died from being too fond of the road!

Each to their own.

Each to their own.

Absolutely. Some people like to waste their money on ferraris, some people on cat food. End of the day a Ferrari is a car and cat food is cat food

Nody wrote: »
    Porta21 as noted, Almo Nature Holistic or Applaws. To deal with the smell how about something like this?

My mother is very fussy about smells. I sometimes notice how strong the
    Applaws smells in my own cats bowls and it doesn't bother me but I know she wouldn't use it as she'd hate the smell. We're just assuming that the tabby thats been visiting us and helping himself is a neighbours since I've seen him asleep outside their front door.

The thing is though, Jazzy attacked him a few days ago and I chased tabby off 4 times today, for his own good, but a short while later my husband saw him trying to get a bin bag out of our wheelie bin, so I'm guessing he's really hungry. So another mouth to feed here brings it up to 5 but he'll have to be rehomed if he's a stray, I can't, just can't take on a 5th cat and he's gorgeous:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Absolutely. Some people like to waste their money on ferraris, some people on cat food. End of the day a Ferrari is a car and cat food is cat food

You generally have to feed a lot less of a high quality food so it's not really as expensive as it sounds. A 10kg bag lasts my two greedy cats for a couple of months, supplemented with a little wet food, so it probably works out at around 5 Euro per week.

You generally have to feed a lot less of a high quality food so it's not really as expensive as it sounds. A 10kg bag lasts my two greedy cats for a couple of months, supplemented with a little wet food, so it probably works out at around 5 Euro per week.
    Not too bad I guess. Although put a mouse beside its expensive food and see which one the cat will eat!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Not too bad I guess. Although put a mouse beside its expensive food and see which one the cat will eat!!

In the case of my cats, the Royal Canin. My black cat kills a lot of mice and rats, doesn't tend to eat many of them though. I have tried Lidl, Aldi, Whiskas, Go Cat etc, none of which he will eat. He eats Royal Canin, and I'm happy enough to buy it for him, I couldn't get to a pet shop for a couple of weeks and had run out, he would not eat the supermarket own brand, and lost a lot of weight. So if it costs me €5 or €6 a week to feed him, then so be it. He will also eat JWB

muddypaws wrote: »
    In the case of my cats, the Royal Canin. My black cat kills a lot of mice and rats, doesn't tend to eat many of them though. I have tried Lidl, Aldi, Whiskas, Go Cat etc, none of which he will eat. He eats Royal Canin, and I'm happy enough to buy it for him, I couldn't get to a pet shop for a couple of weeks and had run out, he would not eat the supermarket own brand, and lost a lot of weight. So if it costs me €5 or €6 a week to feed him, then so be it. He will also eat JWB

I suppose. If you fed me steak for dinner every day and then offered me lamb chops I'd refuse

I suppose. If you fed me steak for dinner every day and then offered me lamb chops I'd refuse
    I'm starting to smell a whiff of troll Dtp and it ain't coming from me:D

Even after two weeks of not eating?

I'm starting to smell a whiff of troll Dtp and it ain't coming from me:D

Haha not at all. I'm no troll. It just amuses me how some people buy into the " premier animal feed " business. Royal canine and similar must be laughing their arses off. And don't get me wrong I'm an animal lover

Haha not at all. I'm no troll. It just amuses me how some people buy into the " premier animal feed " business. Royal canine and similar must be laughing their arses off. And don't get me wrong I'm an animal lover

Not sure who Royal Canine are?

Not sure who Royal Canine are?

How terrible of me to include an extra e

How terrible of me to include an extra e

If you don't know their name, just wonder how much you know about their products :D

Even after two weeks of not eating?

If a cat didn't eat for 2 weeks it'd be dead

If you don't know their name, just wonder how much you know about their products :D

Ah Jaysus will ya stop. It's a typo. So what. I've seen their rip off products in pet shops and the vets. I'm just not stupid enough to buy into it that's all.
    Ye can't buy love from an animal

• Advertisement

If a cat didn't eat for 2 weeks it'd be dead

Nope.

And as for your comment earlier about wasting money on a ferrari or cat food, yep, would rather look after my cat properly than buy a car. Weird, huh. :D

So if you're an animal lover why are you on a thread about premium cat food ridiculing people who buy it then?

Nope.

And as for your comment earlier about wasting money on a ferrari or cat food, yep, would rather look after my cat properly than buy a car. Weird, huh. :D
    Maybe it was eating mice.
    And that's what royal CANIN lead you to believe...... The more you spend on their food... The more you love you're cat.

So if you're an animal lover why are you on a thread about premium cat food ridiculing people who buy it then?

I'm not ridiculing people for loving their cat I'm doing it cause RC are ripping people off. Look I'm at nothing here. People would probably spend 100 on a bag of food if they thought it would be good for their cats... When in fact it's just overpriced shi1te and are being laughed at by the ( excuse the pun ) fat cats in royal canin

I'm not ridiculing people for loving their cat I'm doing it cause RC are ripping people off. Look I'm at nothing here. People would probably spend 100 on a bag of food if they thought it would be good for their cats... When in fact it's just overpriced shi1te and are being laughed at by the ( excuse the pun ) fat cats in royal canin

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I've tried my cats on lots of different foods and they thrive on Applaws, I'm not a big fan of RC as it didn't suit my own cats. As for equating my cats love for me based on how much I spend on their food, that's just ridiculous. They have no concept of money. The Applaws food that I give them is 80% chicken.

Pet nutrition has moved on dramatically over the past decade or so. Many people are more informed about what they feed their pets, they also know that quite often the words 'animal derivatives' on pet food packaging means dead cats and dogs that have been processed and sold as pet food. Personally I find that horrific.

Are my cats spoiled? Hell yeah. One arrived with a growth in his ear that reeked to high heaven and had been ignored by whoever had him for so long it grew down through his jaw. The 2nd was a half starved feral kitten that just showed up. The 3rd was another half starved tom who was peeing blood from a urinary tract infection. Our 4th and newest additon was a little female cat that someone dumped in a wood to fend for herself or die.

So yeah, I give them the most balanced and nutritious food that I can afford and I'm happy to do so, it makes me happy to see them healthy and in great condition.

Maybe it was eating mice.
    And that's what royal CANIN lead you to believe...... The more you spend on their food... The more you love you're cat.

You have a very low opinion of people and their intelligence don't you. I used to feed my cats on the cheaper food, but they would sick it back up again, bad teeth etc. So I tried RC, and they are flying on it, I tried the cheap stuff again when I couldn't get to the pet shop, and they refused to eat it. Now I'm not sure how intelligent you think my cats are, obviously you are giving them more intelligence than their owner, but I don't think they have seen any of the RC marketing, so I'm guessing the fact that they can eat it without being sick, their coats are shiny and soft etc, is actually the end result of what they're eating, not them buying into the 'hype'?

You have a very low opinion of people and their intelligence don't you. I used to feed my cats on the cheaper food, but they would sick it back up again, bad teeth etc. So I tried RC, and they are flying on it, I tried the cheap stuff again when I couldn't get to the pet shop, and they refused to eat it. Now I'm not sure how intelligent you think my cats are, obviously you are giving them more intelligence than their owner, but I don't think they have seen any of the RC marketing, so I'm guessing the fact that they can eat it without being sick, their coats are shiny and soft etc, is actually the end result of what they're eating, not them buying into the 'hype'?

Well my cat can read can't yours?? What are u feeding it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

This thread is going way Off Topic. Back on track please with helpful advice for the OP thanks.

OP, do your parents shop in MaxiZoo? I have never tried it, but their own brand of dog food seems to get good write ups on here, maybe their cat food would be the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I feed both of mine royal canin mixed with some wet food. Tried them on some other foods but I think you get what you pay for really. People comment on how healthy and shiny blues coat is all the time and they're both thriving.

Advertisement