Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where will Man Utd finish this season?

• 29-09-2013 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

Before the season began I was talking with Und fans and asked them how they thought Und would do in Moyes' first season. Most seemed to say first, some 2nd. When I said I didn't think that allowed much for Fergue's excellent managerial record I suggested 4th would be a good result for Moyes in his first season with the club in transition. What do you think boardsies? I'm sticking with 4th as I'd say things will gel better for Moyes as the season progresses

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

I'd say a they will be about 4th come January and we will see 2-3 big names come in early in the window and a second/third place finish come may.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Man utd have a dedicated thread.

top 3, barring a a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That depends on if they are done with Moyes or not.....which is probably a better question here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Difficult question with only 6 games played but they won't come anywhere if they keep firing blanks.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Top 4. Where in there? I dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Fenix wrote: »

The reason I didn't post it there as I wanted more that just man Und fans opinions and the question to get lost amongst the genereral discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

*Utd

BNMC wrote: »
    *Utd

I always misspell utd as Und. I think it's the damn autocorrect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Top 3.

Moyes still doesn't know his best 11 and the players have been shíte (I'm looking at you Rio, Carrick, Anderson, Valencia, Young etc).

Both of those will things will change. Moyes admitted to not having enough world class players so hopefully he'll buy at least 1 in January.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That depends on if they are done with Moyes or not.

That sentence seems eerily familiar somehow.

That sentence seems eerily familiar somehow.

That's not where I'm going with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

1 - Chelsea
    2 - City
    3 - Spurs
    4 - United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Liverpool will finish ahead of them

Top 6 for United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I think anywhere from 6th place up. I was talking to a mate who reckoned they'd be 10th or thereabouts but I think Moyes will settle them sooner rather than later.

I'm a Liverpool fan but wouldn't like to see the Mancs suffer too bad in the long term.

It was only a matter of time..

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think it's hard to predict the order of the top 5 this season, genuinely think this is a season that any of them have a chance of winning the league.

Liverpool are not in that top 5 in case anyone is wondering if I am putting them in there although it's not impossible they will finish above 1 or 2 members of last seasons top 5, but in no way in with a chance of winning it.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

21st

Top 4 that's for sure. Hard to call the final standing order with everyone looking like eejits at one stage or another so far.

edit - I saw that deleted reply :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

5starpool wrote: »
    I think it's hard to predict the order of the top 5 this season

Very hard alright. I think City, Spurs + City will be the top 3, not sure in which order. United and Arsenal scrapping it out for 4th. Liverpool have an outside shot at 4th, maaaaybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Good result for them with Stoke losing today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

1. City
    2. Arsenal
    3. Spurs
    4. Chelsea
    5. United
    6. Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Impossible to say really - if Moyes is no good and they stick with him in the hope of a turnaround it could be a bit grim by their standards - 5th to 8th but it could click and with everyone beating everyone else no damage might be done and they could have a respectable finishing position in the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Only an inept manager, completely out of his depth could finish outside the top 3 with that squad. So my prediction is if Utd stick with him for the season is 6th. Enjoy the Caveman football.

1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. Spurs
    4. Utd
    5. City
    6. Everton
    7. Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Top 5, the order of which is guess work at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

If rooney gets he's move in january, they could be looking at finishing outside the top ten!

Some people are enjoying this way too much, bordering sad.

After 6 games in as well, I hope you're still around at the end of the season when it really counts.

I hope you're still around at the end of the season when it really counts.

Moyes wont be thats for sure

NukaCola wrote: »

It's not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

He will be. I'd be shocked if man United sack him.

Wouldn't be surprised if they missed out on top 4 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Top 4 at least. I can only see them missing out on the Top 4 if Van Persie gets a bad injury and/or Rooney is sold in January.

He needs to go on a serious run to turn this around but his tactics are just not up to it. Man Utd, for the first time in a long time, look very average and beatable......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

He needs to go on a serious run to turn this around but his tactics are just not up to it. Man Utd, for the first time in a long time, look very average and beatable......

Seems like you haven't been watching United for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

That's how us Liverpool fans feel for the last few years.

Seems like you haven't been watching United for a while.

Its a myth....they have one of the best squads in the league with some serious depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Only an inept manager, completely out of his depth could finish outside the top 3 with that squad. So my prediction is if Utd stick with him for the season is 6th. Enjoy the Caveman football.

Is United's squad good now?

I must have missed that memo from Dunphy & Co. :rolleyes:

My prediction is 6th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

It isn't THAT good a squad. It was widely acknowledged that their squad last season was the weakest ManYoo squad for several seasons. That they walked away with the title says more about the inadequacies of their challengers than about the strength of Utd. And they've only added Fellaini; hardly a world class addition, and certainly not at £27/28m!

1. City
    2. Chelsea
    3. Arsenal
    4. Spurs
    5. Liverpool
    6. Utd.

Its a myth....they have one of the best squads in the league with some serious depth.

No it's clearly not a myth.

United have been generally poor for a few seasons now, laughable that you're saying they haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Fenix wrote: »

This allows for forum wide discussion though, and it's a big topic considering he's the man to replace one of the greatest of all time!
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    Difficult question with only 6 games played but they won't come anywhere if they keep firing blanks.

This is a big issue, chances have been created despite playing poorly but they haven't been put away.
    Top 3.

Moyes still doesn't know his best 11 and the players have been shíte (I'm looking at you Rio, Carrick, Anderson, Valencia, Young etc).

Both of those will things will change. Moyes admitted to not having enough world class players so hopefully he'll buy at least 1 in January.

I think the summer went disastrously for Moyes, I don't think he thought it would be as hard to sign players as it proved for him, hopefully in January with a bit of dosh in his pocket and 6 months managing the team week in week out he should know exactly what he needs in the transfer market.
    5starpool wrote: »
    I think it's hard to predict the order of the top 5 this season, genuinely think this is a season that any of them have a chance of winning the league.

Liverpool are not in that top 5 in case anyone is wondering if I am putting them in there although it's not impossible they will finish above 1 or 2 members of last seasons top 5, but in no way in with a chance of winning it.

This is probably the worst possible year he could have taken over, spurs have got themselves together despite losing Bale, replaced him with fantastic players.

Liverpool are playing well and will take points off the big teams and potentially have a high finish this year if they can just make sure they finish off the minnows week in week out.

Arsenal are playing very well so far and Ozil is a fantastic signing which really adds to their overall play.

Chelsea have got one of the best managers currently in the business and he feels at home, with finances at his disposal.

And City, well City have improved their managerial status, got rid of a few bad eggs and despite yesterdays game have started the season with some great football.

Tough season for Moyes and tough to know where we will finish, but i'm hoping it's top 3 personally.

No it's clearly not a myth.

United have been generally poor for a few seasons now, laughable that you're saying they haven't.

Ya, a squad that walked the league last season has been generally poor.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Poor is probably the wrong word, I do think though that Fergie got more out of those players than many other managers would have though.

There was a lot of poor performances over the last few years masked by last minute goals, comebacks galore and sweaty 1-0 wins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

They hugely over-achieved last season and were aided and abetted by a poor performance from City and turmoil at Chelsea. Fergie managed to paper over the cracks but they've got wider and it's not a great surprise that Moyes is struggling. Still think they'll finish in the top 4 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Wouldn't rule out finishing outside the Top 4 anyway, I'd agree with those who are saying that on paper, it's not a great Man U team.

But Ferguson turned them into a team of winners with a winning mentality; they shouldn't have lost that just because Ferguson is gone.

It's early days of course, but I don't think the team has bought into Moyes' stewardship just yet. I remember listening to an interview with Ferdinand in pre-season, where he said that the team would "try their best to make him [Moyes] a better manager." I don't know why, but that just rubbed me up the wrong way. I don't care how senior the player is, they shouldn't be making comments like that towards their manager.

So, to me, if a senior player has such a mentality towards Moyes then you have to wonder just how much respect Moyes is commanding in the dressing room.

This was always going to be Moyes' biggest challenge and if he doesn't get the team onside with him quickly, I think Man U fans may be in for a hard season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

After 6 games in as well, I hope you're still around at the end of the season when it really counts.

Spot on, Im much more concerned with six games to go than with 32.

Complete over reaction by everybody imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I hate people who rationalise football too much, takes away the fun of talking about and consequences of events for example Utds terrible run. We owe nothing to David Moyes lol, he's a rich man and if sacked would get a nice payoff, enough so he couldnt give a **** what irish people on some messageboard think of him. You'd swear the way some people on Boards go on as if these discussions were under the microscope. United will prob finish like 4th, but squad wise they are behind spurs, chelsea and city and prob arsenal and who knows if Livepool can keep going,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its to early to ask that question I reckon, Utd are just going through a mini slump, bar Arsenal and Liverpool, non eof the "top" teams have started really well.

City, Utd and Chelsea will all push up the table so its up to Spurs, arsenal and Liverpool to try and be consistent and stay in and around it when the top 3 last season finally start putting runs together.

The league is way to tight to call after 6 games anyway thats for sure, I dont fancy any of the English teams to make it far in the UCL though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

At the moment being generous I would say somewhere between 1st and 5th with 3rd being most likely followed by 2nd/4th and 1st/5th the outside bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Pre season I thought the only real place we needed strength in is midfield the last 6 games have shown weaknesses in defence at times forwards not playing great and the obvious need for a creative midfielder

I think young, Valencia, anderson are all massively over rated and not good enough for Manchester United..

IMO we need to sell some of the old guard and free up the wagebill to bring in world class players

United need to make a statement of intent and splash the cash on some world class talent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

At this rate? Sixth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'd think 4th, behind City, Arsenal and Chelsea, who could take the top three places in any order. Spurs and Pool will probably run them close.

I think City have the strongest squad in the league. Arsenal and Chelsea have strong squads, but each have weaknesses at CF. Utd look weak at the back, especially if Ferdinand keeps playing, and have a weaker midfield than the other three. Liverpool are short on depth, and their midfield is only average, while I think Spurs haven't got enough top quality in their team, despite the strong squad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement