Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where will Man Utd finish this season?

124»

Comments

Blatter wrote: »
    The only welchers that I know of have been X in the City and Oranage2 (unless he's paid Pro. F by now)

Can't recall anyone else and I've seen a few. You should generally know who'd be too dodgy to have a wager with tbh. Most people are fine, easy enough to spot the others.

That was epic :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

The delusion from the usual ABU posters os strong in this thread.

United will finish top 3

I'll bet my forum access against anyone who thinks otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That was epic :pac:

What was the story there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Felexicon wrote: »

United will finish top 3

Your access is fairly safe so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

What was the story there?

Im also intrigued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I dont have any problem with people thinking United wont do well.

United dont have a divine right to be in Top 3-4.

Plenty of reasons why they may not. Not as daft as some say, but think some just need take step back.

Hence why I offered the bet. Nobody taking the bet might be for number of logical reasons.

What I do have problem with is usual one or two complaining like an old biddy. Its just a ****ing bet. Chill the beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

The amount of people predicting Liverpool to finish ahead of United on this thread. They're either on the wind up or just plain dumb.

LOL........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

United will finish top 3

You'll be off so lad:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Are those of you claiming United will finish outside the top four doing so with a straight face, or are you sniggering at yourself and rolling your own eyes to save me the effort?

This thread will be a hilarious quote mine come the end of the season.

This one wins for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

50 quid

I say we finish in Top 3.

First com first served.:)

I'd say there's a queue now....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

50 quid

I say we finish in Top 3.

First com first served.:)

Did anyone make money off this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

United will finish top 3

Ban hammer at the ready :pac:

Quazzie wrote: »
    Did anyone make money off this?

Nope :pac::pac::pac::pac:

lalalala:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mad looking back, the people calling 6/7th were called trolls!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Mad looking back, the people calling 6/7th were called trolls!

"I hope you're still here at the end of the season "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Are those of you claiming United will finish outside the top four doing so with a straight face, or are you sniggering at yourself and rolling your own eyes to save me the effort?

End of the season? We didn't even have to wait that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

gandalf wrote: »
    Based on the first six matches I believe United will not finish in the top four this season. At the moment I think they are looking like a team that is going to end up at 6th or 7th.

With 12 games to go this is looking like a good prediction!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Champions League positions are too far now for them to claim one of them, I feel. Genuinely think they can finish in the top half though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »
    Impossible to say really - if Moyes is no good and they stick with him in the hope of a turnaround it could be a bit grim by their standards - 5th to 8th but it could click and with everyone beating everyone else no damage might be done and they could have a respectable finishing position in the top 4.

I was needlessly fair minded its fair to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

efb wrote: »
    1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. Spurs
    4. Utd
    5. City
    6. Everton
    7. Liverpool

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Now now Lloyd, don't make me force you to get your shine box out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ban hammer at the ready :pac:

Nobody took me up on it Gav. Thank God

ScottTenormanMustDie30.gif

For once I can say I'm Cartman and not just be referring to my morbid obesity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Alright, cut down on the pictures and cut out gifs from now on, some posts removed.

Some people are enjoying this way too much, bordering sad.

After 6 games in as well, I hope you're still around at the end of the season when it really counts.
    NukaCola wrote: »
    Moyes wont be thats for sure
    It's not

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

major bill wrote: »
    Liverpool will finish ahead of them

Top 6 for United

>snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

After 6 games in as well, I hope you're still around at the end of the season when it really counts.
    Moyes wont be thats for sure

Jaysus, well played Nuka!! The above exchange on the 29th of September...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

So true :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

A smattering of some posts from this thread, I decided to take a glance through it now the season is almost over. Some painful stuff there, some bang on the money also :)

Prophetic?
    Playboy wrote: »
    5th or 6th imo. Moyes will struggle to win over the dressing room and the results will only get worse.
    Gbear wrote: »
    It's very tough to call this season.
    It almost seamed a laughable notion at the start of the season but the league has change quite a bit.

1st: I rate Pellegrini extremely highly and City's team is brilliant. I think they'll wobble a bit but ultimately just about win the league.

2nd: Arsenal have got off to great start (opening day notwithstanding) and were on great form at the end of last season. They've added probably the best attacking player in the world, aside from Ronaldo and Messi, to their side. Not the place that spending 40m would've done the most good perhaps but he's a brilliant player. They've so consistently got top 4 that I just can't see them dropping out this season of all seasons.

3rd: Chelsea, despite looking **** and Mourinho being overrated I think they've got too much quality to not get top 4. I don't think they have the quality up front to win the league.

I think 4th will be between Utd and Spurs. Spurs have started very well and they've put such an exciting team together that they have to be contenders.
    Utd are still very strong. It's down to what has the bigger negative impact - Spurs having to bed in so many and having a poor track record for pussying out or the post-Ferguson hangover and questionable ability of Moyes.

The only team I'd be willing to rule out from the top 4 from the top 6 teams in England is Liverpool. Not so much that they're particularly bad (they've been pretty good so far) but that it would require too many other teams with much stronger squads to be terrible.
    I just can't see them edging out 2 of Chelsea, Utd and Spurs.
    gandalf wrote: »
    Based on the first six matches I believe United will not finish in the top four this season. At the moment I think they are looking like a team that is going to end up at 6th or 7th.

It doesn't surprise given they have lost a behemoth of a motivator in Ferguson and the new manager has replaced the back-room staff. The team last year outperformed its net worth on paper to win the league so you can add to the mix a team that is in desperate need of investment which didn't happen in the summer because the scouting network and the manager seemed to have gotten their lines crossed. Now if Moyes and United get their act together in Jan and add some real quality then they could be back in with a shout but if they have the normal experience with RvP for example that us Arsenal fans did they could be without their top goal scorer for a number of matches.
    I think people are being a bit too generous.

Utd without Ferguson will find the season a lot harder. Whether you liked the man or not. He inspired the team to win many games that the maybe shouldn't have.

Moyes just hasn't got the same ability to inspire his team. Even if Moyes gets a player or two during the January window, it maybe be too late to push for Champions League.

I think they'll finish in around 5th-6th.

The amount of people predicting Liverpool to finish ahead of United on this thread. They're either on the wind up or just plain dumb.
    Samba wrote: »
    Team spirit and harmony is clearly lacking, RVPs body language in the last 2 games he played was very negative, he just doesn't look very happy, I thought it was very uncharacteristic of him when he got up in the refs face in the Bayer game.

Something is up at OT, I suspect the players are just as disillusioned with DM team sheets as the fans are, though that's just pure speculation, maybe they just don't have the same level of confidence in Moyes as they did in Fergie. If that's the case, it's going to seep through the team.

If things continue as they have started, then I don't think a UTD finish outside of the top 4 is as unrealistic as some people are making out.

As a United fan I'm worried, but I'm not panicking yet, it's still early doors and this season is looking like it could be exceptionally unpredictable.

Tough to say really, worst case scenario 6th place and best case scenario runners up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Meh, all the people laughing at people getting it wrong this year were bound to be right once in about 15 tries in the recent past. Every year is the year United will finally be found out. They got their wish after all that time so can finally shove it in our faces I guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

lol

The Liverpool hindsight brigade that have rolled out coinciding with this season is fairly lol-able alright, resurrecting threads like there's no tomorrow

Hindsight, a wonderful thing...
    What i do agree with though is he needs to be replaced properly, if a top quality striker isn't acquired Rodgers will be very very sorry IMO (by top quality i dont mean Daniel Sturridge......)
    If/When Suarez and Carroll click a lot of people will realise why we splashed the cash on Carroll. Potentially lethal combo IMO
    I've always rated Downing highly....quality player....

...Money will be well spent IMO

The Liverpool hindsight brigade that have rolled out coinciding with this season is fairly lol-able alright, resurrecting threads like there's no tomorrow

Hindsight, a wonderful thing...

Listen, i get lots of stuff wrong. But i was bang on the money with Moyes. No hindsight needed.

Example on the 8th of May 2013

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84517260&postcount=933
    I'd love to see Moyes get it. It will dispel the myth that he's a great manager.

Am i supposed to be embarrassed by what i posted 3 or 4 years ago? Because i'm not, i think its ****ing pathetic that you've gone to the trouble to go through my posts to somehow justify something........gave me a chuckle anyway.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Liam O wrote: »
    Meh, all the people laughing at people getting it wrong this year were bound to be right once in about 15 tries in the recent past. Every year is the year United will finally be found out. They got their wish after all that time so can finally shove it in our faces I guess...

Well a stopped clock and all that but it's funny to see the majority, and different supporters of various clubs get it so wrong, me included. I'm sure a few were wind up posts but a couple did seem to get right. And it isn't a Liverpool thing, sure we never predicted a title challenge for us and only 1 or 2 thought Moyes would fail!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

K-9 wrote: »
    Well a stopped clock and all that but it's funny to see the majority, and different supporters of various clubs get it so wrong, me included. I'm sure a few were wind up posts but a couple did seem to get right. And it isn't a Liverpool thing, sure we never predicted a title challenge for us and only 1 or 2 thought Moyes would fail!

Oh no it's just when every year in the prediction things in the paper there would always be people who had United in 4th and 5th. It was, "without Keane/Van Nistelrooy/Tevez/Ronaldo they're weak". This time it was Fergie and they were right. Just a general thing I guess. I think I predicted a good season for Liverpool the last 2 seasons, was wrong about 1 and right about the other, to bring it up 8 months later just saying "lol" is a bit OTT though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Football predictions are rooted in the fact that 99% of people (including myself) have no idea what will happen and out of the remaining 1% it's educated guesses.

Add to that the fact, which has been demonstrated already, that for every good shout there's a least ten stinkers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Listen, i get lots of stuff wrong. But i was bang on the money with Moyes. No hindsight needed.

Example on the 8th of May 2013

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84517260&postcount=933

Am i supposed to be embarrassed by what i posted 3 or 4 years ago? Because i'm not, i think its ****ing pathetic that you've gone to the trouble to go through my posts to somehow justify something........gave me a chuckle anyway.......

I suppose if you were so sure as to bring it up 7 months later and laugh at the audacity of someone to disagree with you, you had the sense to back Moyes to be sacked by the end of the season, you might not have got the odds Eight Ball did on Moyes being next Newcastle manager, but I'm sure they would have been very good.

I suppose if you were so sure as to bring it up 7 months later and laugh at the audacity of someone to disagree with you, you had the sense to back Moyes to be sacked by the end of the season, you might not have got the odds Eight Ball did on Moyes being next Newcastle manager, but I'm sure they would have been very good.

I wasnt the one who said "I hope you're still around at the end of the season when it really counts".

Also I don't bet, although i'm sure i would have got good odds.

Best thread ever.

Best bits were people called trolls for predicting Utd to finish below Liverpool or finish in 6th /7th.

Kew Tour could be homeless now if everyone took his bet!

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Best thread ever.

Best bits were people called trolls for predicting Utd to finish below Liverpool or finish in 6th /7th.

Kew Tour could be homeless now if everyone took his bet!

Lol.

Ok.

Lol.

Ok.

Obviously a gross exaggeration!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liam O wrote: »

I know, it's great isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Gbear wrote: »
    It's very tough to call this season.
    It almost seamed a laughable notion at the start of the season but the league has change quite a bit.

1st: I rate Pellegrini extremely highly and City's team is brilliant. I think they'll wobble a bit but ultimately just about win the league.

2nd: Arsenal have got off to great start (opening day notwithstanding) and were on great form at the end of last season. They've added probably the best attacking player in the world, aside from Ronaldo and Messi, to their side. Not the place that spending 40m would've done the most good perhaps but he's a brilliant player. They've so consistently got top 4 that I just can't see them dropping out this season of all seasons.

3rd: Chelsea, despite looking **** and Mourinho being overrated I think they've got too much quality to not get top 4. I don't think they have the quality up front to win the league.

I think 4th will be between Utd and Spurs. Spurs have started very well and they've put such an exciting team together that they have to be contenders.
    Utd are still very strong. It's down to what has the bigger negative impact - Spurs having to bed in so many and having a poor track record for pussying out or the post-Ferguson hangover and questionable ability of Moyes.

The only team I'd be willing to rule out from the top 4 from the top 6 teams in England is Liverpool. Not so much that they're particularly bad (they've been pretty good so far) but that it would require too many other teams with much stronger squads to be terrible.
    I just can't see them edging out 2 of Chelsea, Utd and Spurs.

Ever been more wrong?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

1. City
    2. Chelsea
    3. Spurs
    4. Arsenal
    5. Liverpool
    6. Everton
    7. United

Wasn't too far off in fairness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I know most think it's petty and childish to bring up others' past posts, but personally I find it hilarious/interesting!

Football is very hard to predict and anyone who's made a prediction will at some point be made to look like a fool. It's inevitable, just roll with it - no one's infallible.

I would never be arsed trawling through someone's posts, but I appreciate the hard work by those that do - that post by Kryogen gave a nice little summary of the thread.

I don't think we should take ourselves too seriously. We're just a bunch of lads writing on the internet. Don't get offended if someone brings up an awful prediction you made, it's just a bit of a laugh.

We could all benefit a bit from Llyod's approach of just holding his hands up and having a good laugh at himself.

(I imagine someone will drag up a terrible prediction I made in response to this, but fúck it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

To all the butthurt United fans coming in now trying to save face or lash back, it's not just the fact that you were wrong that is so poetic. It's that you thought the mere idea of people predicting a low finish for United was laughable/trollish/inconceivable. It's one thing to not agree with someone's opinion or prediction; it's another thing to mock it mercilessly. That's what the current reaping is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well we have being in decline for 20 odd years...

We haven't finished below 3rd since the 90-91 season so not sure why everyone is patting themselves on the back for finally getting one right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Milkers wrote: »
    To all the butthurt United fans coming in now trying to save face or lash back, it's not just the fact that you were wrong that is so poetic. It's that you thought the mere idea of people predicting a low finish for United was laughable/trollish/inconceivable. It's one thing to not agree with someone's opinion or prediction; it's another thing to mock it mercilessly. That's what the current reaping is about.

Good point - I think that's the problem a lot of people had with Lloyd's anti-Rodgers tirade, the mocking of any opposing view or acknowledgment that he could end up wrong.

He was entitled to his opinion, and even if he was proven totally wrong, his points were well made and rationally argued, but I think you always have to acknowledge that football is unpredictable and your judgements might end up wrong (especially when it comes to a manager where it's harder to 'see' his abilities.

Some United fans got a bit complacent on this thread and a little too sure of themselves (maybe understandable given their recent success), and it is this attitude rather than the actual opinions expressed (because predicting United to finish 1st or 2nd was in no way unreasonable at the start of the season) that is being pointed and laughed at.

A lesson that nothing can be taken for granted in football and you should always be aware that the seemingly unlikely is possible - a hard lesson for United fans used to unquestionable success.

Advertisement