Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult is it to get a Credit Union Loan

Options
  • 29-09-2013 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I opened up a credit union account yesterday, I should have 4-5k in there in the next 2 months , if I applied for a loan of 10k in 2 months time to buy a car would it be accepted or rejected. I am on a decent wage, 60k a year and no mortage. I am also paying off another loan with the bank of ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Unlikely. I can't imagine any credit union sanctioning that kind of loan.

First, they'd want to see a longer term saving history, and your first loan will generally be for a smaller amount than your shares.

I've said it before, but people seem to have a deep misunderstanding about credit unions. They're not first and foremost a way to obtain a loan. They're there to encourage savings and to lend to their members (and to do so responsibily).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Just to add,, I think you've to be a member for over 3 months before you can apply for a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Generally bank car loans and car finance companies have lower interest rates

Advertisement