Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find horse sharing?

Options
  • 29-09-2013 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

first of all: I always check the horse-share thread and also donedeal etc, so my question is:

I cant seem to find any horse sharings, is it really uncommon?
    I dont have any horse-contacts and would love to start horse sharing instead of going to a riding school.
    Im in Cork (Ballinhassig/Innishannon area) and was wondering how everybody does it?

Im very flexible and also dont mind mucking out etc.
    Any tipps how to best find something?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

Although you don't want to ride at a RS - you should try and contact some in the area as they may be the way to go to start out :)

I know I advertised via a Riding School when I was looking for a half share for my horse;

Best of luck with your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

i will call to one during the week actually, i thought so too, maybe it helps to ask people there, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 adamant3

just make sure you put some type of contract into place, I did a horse share and it was a nightmare. Ended up the person was sharing her mare with more than just me even though she had said that it was just me and her. Messy trying to make arrangements with who could ride at what time/day etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

When I was looking for a horse share, I sent a note (either email, in person or via text/phone) to every riding school and livery yard within my area outlining my experience, what I was looking for, and what I could offer. It may also be worth contacting anyone who has had a horse for sale for a while on Done Deal and ask about a potential share - they may offer you a situation where they allow you to share until the horse is sold, I have done that before.

Bear in mind that a lot of riding schools have great horses that they may not use regularly in the school and they may be willing to share those out.

It requires being resourceful! I have never had an issue finding a share.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

thank you, i wasnt aware of that, will defo contact riding schools so!

I also do know that there is a few stables in my area but only one has an homepage, so i guess i drive there and just ask and leave my details.
    Thank you so much for that tip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Ghostrider11

Would agree with Ah_Yeah on the riding schools. In my yard quite a few of the horses are on "school livery" They are used by the school for a agreed number of lessons a week but after the horse is yours and the cost of livery reflects this . The big advantage is that you avoid the whole issue of tring to agree with another person what day you can ride/ they what to go to a compition on the same day as you etc.
    If its your first horse also can be a big advantage as you have the support/ experience of the school if there are any problems. Only thing is to be very clear on how many lessons the horse and be used for and agree days can be swapped ( so if you want to complete on a Sunday there is no problem because the school has a lesson on that day) Also agree who pays for farrier, vets, costs when horse is on holidays etc
    Hope it works out for you

Advertisement