Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in D9 but want to move to Lucan?

Options
  • 29-09-2013 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hi!

We live in D9, just of the Drumcondra Road. I really hate it, and feel it' quite rough here. Drumcondra is nice itself, but there are a lot of rougher areas bordering it. I keep think of my kids going into town in their teen and coming home late at night through these areas, though on a bus or taxi. Also, we have heard of a number of incidents of person to person crime locally in the last couple of months.

My aunt who lived in Lucan Village died recently and left us our house. I would much prefer to live there - I have always loved the Village from us visiting her - it also seems to have more of a country feel and is on the road to the West which is great for us - though I am a little concerned re secondary schools and what good schools would be available there. My kids also love Lucan, though ultimately would prefer to live in the country.

Anyway, my friends and family, think I'm mad, as Drumcondra is so close to the City, there are good schools locally with DCU up the road. They see Drumcondra as a much more desirable area than Lucan - though I can't understand why - wondered what you all think about this.

Also, match days drive us mad here in Drumcondra.

Would welcome some advice comments and experiences of both places for brining up a family.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have walked home to my friends house at 3 am with zero issues( I'm in my late teens). I have also walked around drumcondra late at night with no issues. I don't know how you think drumcondra isn't safe. Even the "wealthy suburbs" of south county Dublin have plenty of crime.

Drumcondra is changing and has improved dramatically in recent years. So has areas like phisborough. I think your making a knee jerk reaction for something that probably won't happen( like a phone being stolen or something). Lucan has crime too and probably worse than drumcondra. Your children will be close to tcd and dcu and only a short bus ride to ucd. I think there is little logic in your move. It's very much a case of the grass is greener is on the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Yeap you are mad to want to move to Lucan from a much better serviced area.

Drumcondra is a little rough around the edges but Lucan doesn't exactly have a glowing reputation. How will it be when all the children there become teenagers are there is nothing for them to do and that their parents spend much more time working and commuting.

I think there is an issue building in a lot of the commuter places waiting to explode.

Sell both and get a nice place in Dublin 9 or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I'm with you on this, I'd prefer Lucan over D9
    Lucan Village is lovely, although not as well serviced as D9.

I moved out of Dublin 10 years ago (albeit to Co. Kildare) and can't see myself ever moving back. Lucan village is easily commutable, buses are very frequent and direct.I park my car at a family members house in Lucan and cycle into town, 30 mins each way.
    Although the area around Liffey Valley wouldn't be as desirable as the village.

There is plenty to do for teenagers, as much if not more than where you currently are so I don't share the concerns of other posters here.

I think you are in a great position, rent out your house in D9 and live in Lucan for a while, and then as Ray said sell both and decide.

Some people really love city living but you may prefer Co. Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

You move out to Lucan and in a few years the kids will want to move to rented accommodation in the city. As in any big city you teach your kids to be street smart.
    How do the millions in London get by? The Drumcondra area between Whitworth Rd and Botanioc Avenue is a lovely area. You are convenient to Croke Park and that can be a nuisance for a few hours on Sundays during the Summer. Plan your day around it.
    As for Lucan being on the road West it's not that great a time saving. Get up to the M50 at Ballymun and you're away.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    You move out to Lucan and in a few years the kids will want to move to rented accommodation in the city. As in any big city you teach your kids to be street smart.
    How do the millions in London get by? The Drumcondra area between Whitworth Rd and Botanioc Avenue is a lovely area. You are convenient to Croke Park and that can be a nuisance for a few hours on Sundays during the Summer. Plan your day around it.
    As for Lucan being on the road West it's not that great a time saving. Get up to the M50 at Ballymun and you're away.

How do you know this?

I grew up a similar distance out side of the city as Lucan is, never felt the need or want to rent in the city centre. I ended up moving further out.
    Lucan Village is about 8 miles from O Connell bridge, so it's not like their thinking of moving to BallyJamesduff.
    As for London, many people commute a lot longer than 8 miles a day
    With bus lanes on the Chapelizod by-pass you're in and out of town within 30 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The Mulk wrote: »
    With bus lanes on the Chapelizod by-pass you're in and out of town within 30 mins
    Sorry this is not true. People always exaggerate commute times down when they live out further. I can travel by bus into town in 10 minutes but in traffic it takes 45 -60mins. You judge commuter traffic on commuter times. You also count central locations not a sign you are in Dublin

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Sorry this is not true. People always exaggerate commute times down when they live out further. I can travel by bus into town in 10 minutes but in traffic it takes 45 -60mins. You judge commuter traffic on commuter times. You also count central locations not a sign you are in Dublin

I'm sorry but it is true, for the past 3 years i've been getting the bus in to town from Celbridge 7:15 bus from Celbridge via N4 to Baggot St, 1 hour.
    This bus would easily do Lucan to Bachelors walk in 30 mins.
    Remember we're talking about Lucan Village and not the opposite side of the road where all the big housing estates are, buses from here would take longer.
    From the village to Heuston Station it's a dual carriageway at least all the way so no bottle necks like Phibsboro to contend with.
    Home it takes about 1 hour 10 mins that's getting on at 4:30. As I said in my post it's bus lanes all the way, and the gardai are quite strict on enforcing it.
    Check the commuting threads in the kildare forum if you doubt me about times
    Recently i've changed my commute as I do the school drop offs 3 days a week so I don't start work until 10 and have to drive, Thur & Fri i Leave my car in Lucan and cycle in from there.
    I don't know what the last line of your post means about counting central locations

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

I live in Lucan for 8 years, just not in the village itself. I rarely go into town for anything except to go to Drumcondra to Croker! I actually lived in DC for a year but it was in the Iona area.. I was working in D2 so it was v quick commute, shopping in Phibsboro SC.

I steer clear of Lucan village due to the traffic, particularily on Fri/Sat with the post office payments. It has plenty of services, Garda Station, PO, banks, petrol, garage, barbers, hairdressers, butchers, newsagents, a decent fish shop, chippers, restaurant, taxi rank, buses, pubs etc etc, all in a village setting. There are various schools around Lucan in general (I am not a parent), also churches, library, parks, golf, GAA, soccer, pitch & putt etc. Lucan has a 24/7 Tesco and a large Superquinn and a Dunnes Stores ( household and clothing). Hermitage Hospital Lucan is just a few minutes from the village heading into town. Across the road from this you have Liffey Valley SC Clondalkin which is a pretty good one. This has an M & S if you prefer UK food. Lucan is just off the M50 and N4. The N11 is close too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I live on Main Street in the Village. Even at peak traffic- its usually no more than 10 minutes to get out of the village- though there are tricks you can learn to get out faster.

As the previous poster mentioned- it has all manner of services and shops in the immediate vicinity- and if you're worried about a university- Maynooth is just up the road.

The village itself is very pleasant and nice to live in- I have two young children a 2 and a 3 year old. School places are tight- but once you're in the catchment area normally there isn't any issue with places. There are two Gaelscoils in the vicinity- alongside a plethora of other schools. For secondary schools- you have several options running from Christian Brothers and Convent schools- to Educate Together schools- and indeed there is also the private Kings Hospital just up the road.

I grew up in Lucan- and am thrilled that I managed to get back to it.

Advertisement