Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club Championships

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

How in gods name was joe canning not shown a red card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i take it everyone in the country bar a small corner of galway will be shouting for mount leinster on paddys day?!!!

would be fantastic if they won it but i highly doubt it will happen would be great though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

So that's 44 club championships and Limerick have still never won it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Think Joe can count himself VERY lucky. The same ref sent Patrick Horgan off for what a lot of people thought was harsh. There was no doubt about Canning's foul. You have to feel sorry for NP - they came through a tough campaign in Munster. It is always difficult for the Munster and Leinster champions to try to peak again in the New Year. I reckon if this championship was completed before Christmas the Galway teams would find it more difficult to be as successful. Don't think Mt Leinster Rangers will be able for Portumna but I'd love to see them do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

i take it everyone in the country bar a small corner of galway will be shouting for mount leinster on paddys day?!!!

would be fantastic if they won it but i highly doubt it will happen would be great though

I doubt many in Connacht will be shouting for Mount Leinster. Portumna club-men have always been generous with their time and expertise to the rest of Connacht and it'll mean more to the people who care about hurling here to see Portumna win than the novelty of Mount Leinster winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

rambojon wrote: »
    Port have aid of wind in 2nd half but have they the "heart" to mix it up in awful conditions.. Think nap want it more on 1st half display...ref is def suiting port more.. Very fussy at times...

Na Piarsaigh were unlucky, Downes hits the post and then Portumna come up the field and score a goal that should not have stood, see 15 steps taken by Smith
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHj5H4YJHG0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ref took ages to decide on what card to give Joe, unlikely to give 1 of GAAs star men a red.
    In fairness to Joe he went on to have massive influence on game, got some great scores.

Na Piarsaigh didn't play to their potential at all, minor player Lynch was 1 of the best of them.
    1 point from play in 2nd half not good enough. Gave away some hard fought possession very sloppily.
    Portumna were that bit smarter too.

Final should be interesting.
    Mount Leinster will leave nothing in the tank, hope its a close final.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Great to see Carlow hurling going well. At county down through the years they've always at least tried to compete, they put out a team year after year. Dr Cullen Park is never full for them of course, only the real old soldiers attend.

I'd love to see them become a genuine contender in Leinster at Seinor Inter County level, with a bandawagon support from the rest of the county to boot maybe. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I just wan to wish the best of luck to the players taking part in today's All Ireland Intermediate Football Final in Croke Park. Pity the GAA don't stream club finals such as this one on line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Great to see Carlow hurling going well. At county down through the years they've always at least tried to compete, they put out a team year after year. Dr Cullen Park is never full for them of course, only the real old soldiers attend.

I'd love to see them become a genuine contender in Leinster at Seinor Inter County level, with a bandawagon support from the rest of the county to boot maybe. :D

TBF, there was quite a number of true MLR fans at the county semi-final and final. You will always get people jumping on the bandwagon, but MLR tend to have a very good core of supporters.

Anyways, having been up in Newry yesterday, I can't say enough for MLR and the work they have put in to get this far. It's a fantastic achievement for a hurling club from Carlow to make it all the way to the All-Ireland final.

Going into the game, I didn't think they would overcome the experienced Loughgiel in Ulster, but they were superb. Was as good as the performance against Ballyboden St. Enda's when you factor in the poor conditions. Loughgiel to their credit, having been outplayed and outfought in the 1st half came back very strong in the 2nd half and pushed Rangers all the way. Was very little in it at the end and Rangers were holding on.

Considering I didn't expect them to get past Ballyboden, this team has continued to surprise and grow from game to game. I don't expect them to get past Portumna, but considering they have surprised on numerous occasions so far, I wouldn't put any money on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

Congratulations to The Rower/Inistiogue on winning the Intermediate title again for Kilkenny, they're doing some savage work down there. Winning an AI Intermediate is some going to be honest, and with winning the minor in Kilkenny last year they could be around for a few years yet. Delighted for Kieran Joyce too, he's really grown as a leader figure with his performances for the club and county in the last 2/3 years.

Also congrats to Mount Leinster Rangers, some performance and some season for them. They've come a long way from when they were beaten regularly in the all-county league here in Kilkenny a good few years back, it would be some achievement if they could win it outright, though they'll have the toughest job possible to do it. Delighted for them, and a great boost to not just Carlow hurling, but the likes of Laois, Westmeath and Antrim hurling to show that with the right preparation and attitude you can achieve good things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I'd love to see MLR complete the mission but I'm afraid. On yesterday's performances they were good enough to beat Na Piarsaigh, but they will face considerable guile and experience in Portumna. The biggest problem I saw in MLR was a degree of sluggishness, not as fast as Loughgiel. Slower in the first half and visibly tiring in the second half. Still, Antrim teams are not easy to beat in this competition, and if they can improve their fitness level........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

All Ireland Club Football Championship Outrights

Dr Crokes (6/5), St Vincents (11/4), Ballinderry (7/2), Castlebar Mitchels (6)

Any side that can beat both Corofin,St Brigids away are more than capable of winning the All Ireland. 6/1 great value odds IMO.

All Ireland Club Football Championship Outrights

Dr Crokes (6/5), St Vincents (11/4), Ballinderry (7/2), Castlebar Mitchels (6)

Any side that can beat both Corofin,St Brigids away are more than capable of winning the All Ireland. 6/1 great value odds IMO.

If they beat Crokes they'll win it but Crokes will become known as chokers if they lose a match they should be winning on paper again; the stakes are very high for Gooch and company this year. Crokes rising to the occasion seems the most likely outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Syferus wrote: »
    If they beat Crokes they'll win it but Crokes will become known as chokers if they lose a match they should be winning on paper again; the stakes are very high for Gooch and company this year. Crokes rising to the occasion seems the most likely outcome.

I would not go as far as calling them chokers.
    They are victims of being overrated by lazy media essentially.

Are they a good team, of course they are, but they have dominated what is a very poor Kerry championship for the past few years and have gone on to struggle v Clare opposition, of all things, in Munster, and of course they have failed to won an All Ireland.

People see "Kerry Champions + Gooch" and think "All Ireland favs."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I would not go as far as calling them chokers.
    They are victims of being overrated by lazy media essentially.

Are they a good team, of course they are, but they have dominated what is a very poor Kerry championship for the past few years and have gone on to struggle v Clare opposition, of all things, in Munster, and of course they have failed to won an All Ireland.

People see "Kerry Champions + Gooch" and think "All Ireland favs."

I think you're being pretty dismissive of essentially the entire journalism and sports betting industries here tbh.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I think you're being pretty dismissive of essentially the entire journalism and sports betting industries here tbh.

The same journalism and sports betting industries that told us before a ball was throw in that Dublin would win both minor and U21 All Irelands last year while overlooking the quality of Connacht underage football?

Tod is right Dr Crokes are overrated, a good side in Kerry,Munster but not so good in the All Ireland series, maybe that can change this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I wouldn't say Dr Crokes are chokers.
    Like the Kerry county team, they have just found it very hard to play against teams that play a hard-tackling defensive style of football and their defeats to Crossmaglen and Ballymun would have been no surprise.

They have a really good chance this year much more so than the last two years.

The same journalism and sports betting industries that told us before a ball was throw in that Dublin would win both minor and U21 All Irelands last year while overlooking the quality of Connacht underage football?

Tod is right Dr Crokes are overrated, a good side in Kerry,Munster but not so good in the All Ireland series, maybe that can change this year?

To clarify, are you agreeing that the only reason Crokes are favourites is because Gooch plays for them and they've won Kerry?

Seems like a very "holier than thou" attitude to take to the whole thing - all the sheep out there in GAAland are blinded by the Gooch but a few intrepid posters on boards.ie are cute enough to know the truth.

robbiezero wrote: »
    I wouldn't say Dr Crokes are chokers.
    Like the Kerry county team, they have just found it very hard to play against teams that play a hard-tackling defensive style of football and their defeats to Crossmaglen and Ballymun would have been no surprise.

They have a really good chance this year much more so than the last two years.

Crossmaglen were an outstanding set up and totally outclassed Crokes in the tactical battle when they beat them two years ago.

Last year it was a case of a clash in styles as you imply in which Ballymun were the ideal match up to take on Crokes just by dint of the fact that their style of play might as well have been designed with beating Crokes in mind.

keane2097 wrote: »
    To clarify, are you agreeing that the only reason Crokes are favourites is because Gooch plays for them and they've won Kerry?

Seems like a very "holier than thou" attitude to take to the whole thing - all the sheep out there in GAAland are blinded by the Gooch but a few intrepid posters on boards.ie are cute enough to know the truth.

They are favourites for winning Munster,Kerry for some reason those championships are seen stronger than Mayo,Connacht or Derry,Ulster..

• Advertisement

They are favourites for winning Munster,Kerry for some reason those championships are seen stronger than Mayo,Connacht or Derry,Ulster..

They are favourites because they are perceived to have the best chance of the four teams of winning it. I don't think its anything to do with the Munster champ being stronger. If Cratloe had beaten them, I would say they would have been the outsiders of the 4 teams in the semis.
    Crokes have been to the semi's now for the 3rd time in 3 years. That experience is worth a lot in the club championships, also I think they got the best draw they could have in the semi-finals and also there are no Crossmaglens, St Brigids or any of the other giants of this championship still left in it.

Experience counts more times than not at AI level club. Castlebar have a live chance - there's rarely a mountain between the provincial champions - but Crokes are rightly favourites for the AI and given that it's natural that Castlebar, the team that plays them in AISF, are the outsiders.

They are favourites because they are perceived to have the best chance of the four teams of winning it. I don't think its anything to do with the Munster champ being stronger. If Cratloe had beaten them, I would say they would have been the outsiders of the 4 teams in the semis.
    Crokes have been to the semi's now for the 3rd time in 3 years. That experience is worth a lot in the club championships, also I think they got the best draw they could have in the semi-finals and also there are no Crossmaglens, St Brigids or any of the other giants of this championship still left in it.

Its mostly bad experience in the All Ireland series though, you have to go back to 1992 since Crokes won the All Ireland, St Vincents have the experience of winning the AI in 2008 and Crokes were beaten by Ballymun last year who won their first ever Leinster title so i don't think it takes a giant to knock them out.

I have been following club football a long time now and Nemo Rangers were the kingpins of club football they earned their high rating. You are right on one thing if Cratloe had won Munster they would be the biggest outsider.

Its mostly bad experience in the All Ireland series though, you have to go back to 1992 since Crokes won the All Ireland, St Vincents have the experience of winning the AI in 2008 and Crokes were beaten by Ballymun last year who won their first ever Leinster title so i don't think it takes a giant to knock them out.

I have been following club football a long time now and Nemo Rangers were the kingpins of club football they earned their high rating. You are right on one thing if Cratloe had won Munster they would be the biggest outsider.

I fancied Ballymun to beat them last year. Their physicality, superb organisation and fitness kept Crokes from playing the free flowing football that suits them and drew them into a dogfight.
    I don't think Castlebar have the same attributes or pose that same threat to Crokes. If Crokes do get through, they will have it all to do to win the final v Ballinderry or Vincents it would probably be a 50-50 game particularly if its Vincents.

I fancied Ballymun to beat them last year. Their physicality, superb organisation and fitness kept Crokes from playing the free flowing football that suits them and drew them into a dogfight.
    I don't think Castlebar have the same attributes or pose that same threat to Crokes. If Crokes do get through, they will have it all to do to win the final v Ballinderry or Vincents it would probably be a 50-50 game particularly if its Vincents.
    I also fancied Ballymun last year.

Did you watch the tenacious battle against St Brigids in the Connacht final? Castlebar have most of those attributes and they will win if the Feeneys,Cunniffe,Barry Moran etc perform to the best of their abilities on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The way Dr Crokes once again struggled past Cratloe makes me wonder have they really improved from last year? i think they may have dodged a bullet by not facing St Brigids as the defending champions would have smothered them. The All Ireland semi final occasion didn't affect Ballymun last year likewise will have to happen for Mitchels to win. How they managed the three month break will be important also.

No excuses left for Dr Crokes most years they have been All Ireland favorites yet they failed to live up to their high expectations.

I think St Vincents will have too much for Ballinderry in the other semi final.

I also fancied Ballymun last year.

Did you watch the tenacious battle against St Brigids in the Connacht final? Castlebar have most of those attributes and they will win if the Feeneys,Cunniffe,Barry Moran etc perform to the best of their abilities on Sunday.

To be fair to Castlebar they fell to pieces after going five up on Brigids (seven unanswered points) and were incredibly lucky to make extra-time. Think of the two results beating Corofin was more meaningful and less marred by outside factors but even then Corofin missed reams of chances.

If Castlebar aren't wasteful they can beat Crokes but the margin for error is thin and Castlebar have yet to put together what I could call a complete performance, which usually catches a team out at some point along the road. No time like the present to do it, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

Wins for Dr Crokes and Ballinderry tomorrow i think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

20 mins gone and Crokes are up 0-06 v 0-04...but gooch has gone off injured.

Edit and there's a goal! 1-04 v 0-06

• Advertisement

21 minutes gone, Cooper goes off injured then Castlebar score a goal Castlebar 1-4 Crokes 0-6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

Did Gooch get taken out if it there. ?Missed the replay.

Goal for Crokes 1-6 to 1-4 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

And there's another 1 --6 to 1 --4. for Crokes.

Crokes getting some very handy frees.

Castlebar have a real chance here now with Gooch gone. Crokes very wasteful with possession.

• Advertisement

Castlebar lead by a point at half time. Going into this game Castlebar have been scoring average of 17 points per game with no Copper for Crokes they might have to defend in numbers to win now.

Castlebar lead by a point at half time. Going into this game Castlebar have been scoring average of 17 points per game with no Copper for Crokes they might have to defend in numbers to win now.

They are in big trouble. Very wasteful. Enough chances to be 4 or 5 ahead. Castlebar are nearly scoring with every chance.
    Without Gooch pulling the strings, their forward line looks quite ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Crokes seem to be taking much out the ball when they go forward while Castlebar are been more direct and its working so far,going to be an interesting second half.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

Only danger to castlebar is white line fever!

They are in big trouble. Very wasteful. Enough chances to be 4 or 5 ahead. Castlebar are nearly scoring with every chance.
    Without Gooch pulling the strings, their forward line looks quite ordinary.
    Crokes haven't lived up to their favourites tag in that 1st half. Odds now Crokes evens Castlebar 6/5

• Advertisement

Feel very sorry for Gooch. Was hoping he'd get an AI club medal this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Feel very sorry for Gooch. Was hoping he'd get an AI club medal this year.

Have they lost already??

Castlebar now favourites and rightly so. Crokes playing really badly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ref given a 2 soft frees on the bounce there. Mitchels putting it up to Crokes though I think Crokes might be able to push on.

That goal could well be the difference, just as Crokes were coming back into it.

Crokes getting some very handy frees.

Ref is gone the other way this half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Down to 1 now. Castlebar are an ordinary enough side from what I've seen this year. Missed first half here but nothing I've seen since half time has changed that opinion. 2 good free chances missed now by King.....

9 mins to go Castlebar leading by one. Good game fair play to both sides.

Shocking decision there from the ref.

Down to 1 now. Castlebar are an ordinary enough side from what I've seen this year. Missed first half here but nothing I've seen since half time has changed that opinion. 2 good free chances missed now by King.....

And what do you make of Crokes who are losing to this "ordinary" side?

• Advertisement
Advertisement