Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club Championships

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

robbiezero wrote: »
    Shocking decision there from the ref.

Was that where B Moran was going down to pick the ball up and your man kicked it out of hand? Thought the same first off but replay showed it was a good decision.
    He is making up for some of the soft Crokes frees.

Castlebars to lose now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

And what do you make of Crokes who are losing to this "ordinary" side?

Without the gooch very very ordinary indeed and have been brutal today. Castlebar have nearly scored every time they went forward.
    But fair play to Castlebar they have a serious chance now in the All-Ireland.

yop wrote: »
    Was that where B Moran was going down to pick the ball up and your man kicked it out of hand? Thought the same first off but replay showed it was a good decision.
    He is making up for some of the soft Crokes frees.

Castlebars to lose now.

I thought he got the leg in to tip it away before Moran got his hands there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Final score 3-13 v 1-11.....Crokes really missed Gooch - not saying they are a 1 man team but they looked a different team without him.

Fair play to Castlebar!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Crokes well beaten in the end by side that were better than them. Well done to Castlebar need to finish the job now.

The overrated Dr Crokes probably favourites for the 2015 All Ireland now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hammering them now. Mitchels never given a hope against Corofin, Brigids and Crokes. Deserved it after this display today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,655 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Have they lost already??

The writing was on the wall unfortunately.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Final score 3-13 v 1-11.....Crokes really missed Gooch - not saying they are a 1 man team but they looked a different team without him.

Fair play to Castlebar!!

He really makes everything tick, be it a two yard hand pass or a 40 yard pass or a score. Without him the forward were clueless. But I don't know if that made the difference. Castlebar destroyed them in defence.

Worrying times for Kerry football, not much to take out of Crokes for inter county.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Fully deserved win for Castlebar.

Crokes just didnt have the cutting edge up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Wonderful result for the Mitchels!!!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,802 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Hammering them now. Mitchels never given a hope against Corofin, Brigids and Crokes. Deserved it after this display today.
    Probably won't be favourites next day out either, not complaining though:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Some finish from Castlebar. Crokes collapsed at the end. Gritty but fully deserved win. Hopefully they win the AI now

Crokes well beaten in the end by side that were better than them. Well done to Castlebar need to finish the job now.

The overrated Dr Crokes probably favourites for the 2015 All Ireland now.

It will be a long time again before they are favourites for an All-Ireland after today.
    They were totally exposed today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The writing was on the wall unfortunately.

Not sure about that. Crokes pushed hard, got it down to a point before the ref gave a handy free or two to Castlebar from which they pulled away.

Overall the better team won - no one can deny that.

The talk will be of Crokes and how over rated they are....in as far as they are 1 of the favourites every year...but never win it.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Probably won't be favourites next day out either, not complaining though:cool:

Yeah probably won't be favourites,no harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,802 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yeah probably won't be favourites,no harm.
    If Vincents come through, stand by for a month of Heffo bull in the media.

It will be a long time again before they are favourites for an All-Ireland after today.
    They were totally exposed today.

In fainess they were badly exposed in the semi final last year against Ballymun and their narrow win against Cratloe this season was totally ignored.

I also fancied Ballymun last year.

Did you watch the tenacious battle against St Brigids in the Connacht final? Castlebar have most of those attributes and they will win if the Feeneys,Cunniffe,Barry Moran etc perform to the best of their abilities on Sunday.

Good call mate. You were spot on. I didn't give Castlebar the credit they deserved for their Connacht win as I though Brigids got a raw deal off ref that day and probably weren't the force of the previous year.

In fainess they were badly exposed in the semi final last year against Ballymun and their narrow win against Cratloe this season was totally ignored.

Exactly. The blueprint to beat them is pretty clear now and it is unlikely any team will fear them any more in the latter stages of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

All Ireland Club Football Championship Outrights

Any side that can beat both Corofin,St Brigids away are more than capable of winning the All Ireland. 6/1 great value odds IMO.

I hope you guys placed on some cash as you won't get odds like that now.

Crokes are overrated and they showed today why they shouldn't have been favourites for the All Ireland. Well done to Castlebar proved their worth once again but its a mystery how they were seen as such underdogs having beaten both Corofin,St Brigids away.

• Advertisement

I see Marty Duffy is referee for the second game.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,655 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I bet any money Marty ruins this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well done Castlebar!

Worst official in the game, well along with his brother he is! Shouldn't be allowed near a whistle.

Separate at birth, Mary Duffy & Mike Phelan

_46566772_phelan_av512.jpg

Ballinderry are struggling big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Vincents have a lot of fire power in the attack and Balinderry can't handle it.

Mossy Quinn is the best club footballer in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Great win and deserved for castlebar.I always had my doubts with crokes after the castle haven team.They can win a open,lovely game of football,they cant win a battle.

And typical media blew them up as unbeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Great win and deserved for castlebar.I always had my doubts with crokes after the castle haven team.They can win a open,lovely game of football,they cant win a battle.

Hit the nail on the head there,Crokes are a lovely team to watch when they are allowed the space and time to play their style of game but when the other team cuts down the space and gets in their faces Crokes don't seem to have a plan to counter act it.

They need to bulk up a bit if they want to start winning these battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Found the right thread

Well done to Castlebar a fine win for them, not for the first time club odds didn't make much sense. Some start by Vincents, Ballinderry on the ropes and will have to recover quickly. Marty Duffy after his Connacht final performance shouldn't be allowed to ref this game.

• Advertisement

Just to give some small bit of credit to Crokes,
    when that killer second goal went in they really fought back hard to get within 1 point of Castlebar, but they really needed to get their noses in front in that second half as Castlebar just sat back and absorbed the pressure with a lead.

Crokes had a bit of bad luck and shot themselves in the foot also.
    Bad luck - Gooch and presumably Ambrose O Donovan (at a crucial time off injured).
    The Castlebar second goal coming directly from a ridiculous double hop by the corner forward under no pressure.
    Kieran O Leary missed an easy point to draw level in second half which would have been crucial.
    Ref gave a soft free in front of the goal to put Castlebar 2 up and probably ruined Crokes chances.
    End of first half Fitzgerald gave away a ridiculous free trying to hand off a forward when he had the ball.

Not making excuses, the comfortably better team won, but just giving Crokes a small bit of credit, unlucky with injuries, punished severely for their mistakes.

Mossy Quinn is the best club footballer in the country.

Frankie Dolan IMO. Ballinderry will be happy enough to be only 3 behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Vincents were into the wind in the first half and always have another gear in the closing stages. Think they'll win handy.

Ballinderry will be delighted to be only one point down and could be leading only for hitting the crossbar. The wind doesn't look strong?

Close call. Vincents would be lost altogether without Quinn

Ballinderry will be delighted to be only one point down and could be leading only for hitting the crossbar. The wind doesn't look strong?

Its definitely having an impact. Balinderry are having to work it inside now whereas in the first half they were popping off shots from the 40.

Out of nothing really a goal for Ballinderry, 1-11 to 2-10

A few real nonsense frees going the way of Vincents. Fennell jumped on the ground there.

That point should do it a deserved win for St Vincents. Castlebar will win the AI final IMO.

• Advertisement

That point should do it a deserved win for St Vincents. Castlebar will win the AI final IMO.

They have every chance and will be halfway there if Cunniffe can keep Quinn quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Congrats Castlebar and Vinnies. Both teams have done it the hard way and are probably the 2 best teams this years. Should be a cracking Paddy's day, can't wait.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I did say here earlier on in the thread that Crokes would come up short and they have again. Very hard to see Gooch now winning the one medal he has failed to win and that is a club championship medal.

2nd game was a cracker, had visitors so hard to get right idea, Quinn had a superb game.
    It will be interesting game, hopefully will be an open game. I think Vincents have the key forward in this so as said unless Cunniffe can do a big job Vincents will rap this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

2nd game was a cracker, had visitors so hard to get right idea, Quinn had a superb game.
    It will be interesting game, hopefully will be an open game. I think Vincents have the key forward in this so as said unless Cunniffe can do a big job Vincents will rap this.

Was end to end stuff towards the end. Quinn was superb and I thought Connolly had a big influence in the second half.

The big pitch in Croker may be an advantage to Vincents. Very hard to keep it tight with so much space on offer. Still Castlebar have been really good this year and will certainly take some beating.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

JRant wrote: »
    Was end to end stuff towards the end. Quinn was superb and I thought Connolly had a big influence in the second half.

The big pitch in Croker may be an advantage to Vincents. Very hard to keep it tight with so much space on offer. Still Castlebar have been really good this year and will certainly take some beating.

Hyde park Roscommon is a bigger pitch than CP.
    No problems winning there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Amprodude wrote: »
    I did say here earlier on in the thread that Crokes would come up short and they have again. Very hard to see Gooch now winning the one medal he has failed to win and that is a club championship medal.

Em.. Minor, U-21 AI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just heard the interview with one of the Crokes joint managers on Radio Kerry for the second time.

And for the second time I heard him describe the tackle that Gooch getting injured in was 'diabolical', that the man who was involved was not even punished, and that you "would get life in prison for something like that down in Kerry"

So what exactly was the challenge like ?
    I have not read anywhere that it was controversial.

Or is he just whinging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Kerry men whinging? Sure, that's not in their DNA ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Just heard the interview with one of the Crokes joint managers on Radio Kerry for the second time.

And for the second time I heard him describe the tackle that Gooch getting injured in was 'diabolical', that the man who was involved was not even punished, and that you "would get life in prison for something like that down in Kerry"

So what exactly was the challenge like ?
    I have not read anywhere that it was controversial.

Or is he just whinging

Just whinging, was feck all in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Amprodude wrote: »

If he moves to Crossmaglen he has every chance still.

• Advertisement
Advertisement