Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club Championships

1789101113»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Wasnt a classic but finals are for winning.

Exactly, nerves play a big part so its to be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

2 - 5 for Connolly.
    Very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

What a masterclass performance from Diarmuid Connolly :)

Go on St.Vincents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

yop wrote: »
    Exactly, nerves play a big part so its to be expected.

Can't help wondering if all the hype/promotion/media etc has a bigger impact on club players especially lads who mightn't have played in Croke Park before.

Remember talking to lads who played in the intermediate club final a few years back and they said the occasion definitely got to them and that was only the intermediate with a lot less hype/media.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can't help wondering if all the hype/promotion/media etc has a bigger impact on club players especially lads who mightn't have played in Croke Park before.

Remember talking to lads who played in the intermediate club final a few years back and they said the occasion definitely got to them and that was only the intermediate with a lot less hype/media.

Its certainly more "fishbowl" unless you are lucky not to live in the town, if that makes sense.
    Its town pride etc, but regardless both teams did themselves proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Ger Brennan thanking the girlfriends and boyfriends for their support. How many of them have boyfriends?

Neeson wrote: »
    Ger Brennan thanking the girlfriends and boyfriends for their support. How many of them have boyfriends?

I was wondering where he was going with the comment on the AIB ad campaign. Seems he wasnt a fan.

Also tip of the hat to the Vinnies manager saying that he took his hat off to Castlebar while still wearing his hat. Comedy genius or insincere b@stard .:D

LOL, I was pissing myself, the Vincents boys got something to tell us :D

Its certainly more "fishbowl" unless you are lucky not to live in the town, if that makes sense.
    Its town pride etc, but regardless both teams did themselves proud.

Just thinking about it Vincents probably had it a bit easier being in the city, compared to the hype in Castlebar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Ironic that the guy could be in prison by the end of the year, but towering above everyone on the pitch.

Game well over now.

and irrelevant.

This is a GAA forum. What happened on the pitch is whats important today. Well done Vincents. Some lads with multiple medals this year at every level.

• Advertisement

TG4 using the same song BBC used after the MacRory Cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

In hindsight Castlebar had the rub of the green to win Connacht and overcame overrated Dr Crokes. Today they were out of their depth, St Vincents could have scored 8 goals Connolly had a fine game but the less said about his marker(s)

Well done to St Vincents another All Ireland for a Dublin team. I think 4 or 5 Dublin clubs could win the All Ireland no club championship is as strong as theirs.

Has to be a slip of the tongue, given Brennan's religious views

I think it's a natural thing with him. That chin is a sign of a volatile male. They say the more time you spend pumping yourself up the more you change your jaw. Impressive design nonetheless.

Has to be a slip of the tongue, given Brennan's religious views

Is he big into Jesus?

He'd have to mention it anyway even if he doesn't agree personally. If there was one gay in the team and he just mentioned the girlfriends then the gay member would feel left out and not one of the boys. They need to keep themselves together I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Wow connelly today! Looked injured for the last 10, unbelievably good performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

What does it matter to you?

Their personal lives are no-ones business but their own.

Congrats Vincents.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    What does it matter to you?

Their personal lives are no-ones business but their own.

Congrats Vincents.

This may be somewhat true. But Ger made it my business when he told the nation. I was just interesting. Sure aren't people always looking to know who's riding who.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

In hindsight Castlebar had the rub of the green to win Connacht and overcame overrated Dr Crokes. Today they were out of their depth, St Vincents could have scored 8 goals Connolly had a fine game but the less said about his marker(s)

Well done to St Vincents another All Ireland for a Dublin team. I think 4 or 5 Dublin clubs could win the All Ireland no club championship is as strong as theirs.

Yeah they definitely seem to have the most competitive championship and whoever comes out of it must be confident of going a long way in the Leinster/All Ireland series. Can't really think of a county with as competitive a championship apart from maybe Mayo who have had a few different winners over the past few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Fair play to both football teams today, Castlebar were the better team first half but seemed to run out of steam. It was a great advert there today.

Connolly with THE sporting performance of the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

In hindsight Castlebar had the rub of the green to win Connacht and overcame overrated Dr Crokes. s.

They also missed Marty Duffy today.

I was hoping for a Castle bar win today, but they got the official rub of the relic a few times this year with Duffys circus performance in the Connacht final, along with 2 red cards overturned in the back boardrooms, so one can have little sympathy today. In truth Vincent could have won by more.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭supersonic64

What ye on about? Vincents win was only the third time in the last twenty years that a Dublin team has won the AI.
    The strength of the County Championship has little bearing at this level as Crossmaglen's six AI titles out of seven finals in the last 18yrs shows.
    BTW not bashing Dublin teams,just your synopsys.Thought Connolly was like a quarterback today dictating plays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

It didn't help that one of their main men was off the pitch after 4 minutes. That certainly brought them down a few notches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

What ye on about? Vincents win was only the third time in the last twenty years that a Dublin team has won the AI.
    The strength of the County Championship has little bearing at this level as Crossmaglen's six AI titles out of seven finals in the last 18yrs shows.
    BTW not bashing Dublin teams,just your synopsys.Thought Connolly was like a quarterback today dictating plays

I believe the Dublin senior club championship has 4 or 5 sides that are capable of winning the All Ireland. Can't say the same about Armagh,Kerry,Cork,Mayo championship etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

He did say could!. Vincents obviously can as shown. Ballymun came very close last year so they obviously have the talent to do so and any one who has watched the Dublin championship will see how many draws between the top teams to know that between the top 5-6 teams the standard is pretty even, so what he is saying is pretty accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

STB wrote: »
    and irrelevant.

This is a GAA forum. What happened on the pitch is whats important today. Well done Vincents. Some lads with multiple medals this year at every level.

Very well said. Much respect to the many Mayo people who do not let the heart break of another Croke Park loss get in the way of conducting themselves in a classy and dignified manner. But I suppose there is always one....:rolleyes:

DC was incredible today. If he could just bring that form into the summer, and do it consistent basis, we'd be laughing.

Michael Savage did a great job too. He was well beaten for one goal but the other one was just unlucky. He looked great under the high balls and oozed a confidence that you don't often see in players not named Stephen Cluxton. Would be very happy if he is our full time back up to SC now.

GB's remark about the "boyfriends" is standard now. He said the very same thing after Vinnies won the Dublin and Leinster champos. It always gets a laugh, which shockingly enough, is the intention methinks. If it isn't and he is genuinely thanking the male partners of his team mates for their contributions too, then more power to his elbow !

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

Ironic that the guy could be in prison by the end of the year, but towering above everyone on the pitch.

Game well over now.

This is a shocking statement from a moderator. What in God's name has that got to do with the game that was played today. Would you be bringing that up if your county won. I don't think so. Masterclass in how to play gaelic football was on show today. Star of the show. Dermo.
    Naomh Uinsionn abu.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Very well said. Much respect to the many Mayo people who do not let the heart break of another Croke Park loss get in the way of conducting themselves in a classy and dignified manner. But I suppose there is always one....:rolleyes:!

Nothing to do with conducting myself, read what I said, I commended him, but by May he could be in prison, your hardly condoning what he did now are you?
    dubsontour wrote: »
    This is a shocking statement from a moderator. What in God's name has that got to do with the game that was played today. Would you be bringing that up if your county won. I don't think so. Masterclass in how to play gaelic football was on show today. Star of the show. Dermo.
    Naomh Uinsionn abu.

Nothing to do with been a moderator, tell us how many lads have won AI club and county titles and have to face sentencing 2 months later?
    My county weren't playing and my club weren't either, irrelevant to the point.

Regardless, he won it on his own yesterday, I said that already, but I am sure Mr Kelly wasn't applauding or lauding him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Very well said. Much respect to the many Mayo people who do not let the heart break of another Croke Park loss get in the way of conducting themselves in a classy and dignified manner. But I suppose there is always one....:rolleyes:

DC was incredible today. If he could just bring that form into the summer, and do it consistent basis, we'd be laughing.

Michael Savage did a great job too. He was well beaten for one goal but the other one was just unlucky. He looked great under the high balls and oozed a confidence that you don't often see in players not named Stephen Cluxton. Would be very happy if he is our full time back up to SC now.

GB's remark about the "boyfriends" is standard now. He said the very same thing after Vinnies won the Dublin and Leinster champos. It always gets a laugh, which shockingly enough, is the intention methinks. If it isn't and he is genuinely thanking the male partners of his team mates for their contributions too, then more power to his elbow !

Mayo have won plenty of club AIs, the above was pretty patronising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

Nothing to do with conducting myself, read what I said, I commended him, but by May he could be in prison, your hardly condoning what he did now are you?

Nothing to do with been a moderator, tell us how many lads have won AI club and county titles and have to face sentencing 2 months later?

Regardless, he won it on his own yesterday, I said that already, but I am sure Mr Kelly wasn't applauding or lauding him.

Again what has a player personal life got to do with the game yesterday???

"post Material in respect of any matter that is currently before the
    courts
    "
    Is one of the Rules of Boards.
    Or are Moderators immune to such rules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

LOL, I was pissing myself, the Vincents boys got something to tell us :D
    This may be somewhat true. But Ger made it my business when he told the nation. I was just interesting. Sure aren't people always looking to know who's riding who.

And people wonder why footballers, hurlers and other sportsmen don't announce themselves to the world as gay.

With attitudes like this among supporters it is not surprising.

Godge wrote: »
    And people wonder why footballers, hurlers and other sportsmen don't announce themselves to the world as gay.

With attitudes like this among supporters it is not surprising.

I wish no harm to any homosexual of St Vincent's. I was curious. Just like people are curious who Bernard Brogan is dating and so forth. If Connolly is gay I would not give him abuse. I don't have a problem with it.

I wish no harm to any homosexual of St Vincent's. I was curious. Just like people are curious who Bernard Brogan is dating and so forth. If Connolly is gay I would not give him abuse. I don't have a problem with it.

Good for you, because I was starting to believe you did and nobody wants to be accused of having a small town attitude.

Good for you, because I was starting to believe you did and nobody wants to be accused of having a small town attitude.

Thank You :)

I am guessing you are not a fan ?

It is everything to do with being a moderator. Everybody has a responsibility to moderate themselves.

After Hours is an area where I would expect to see such comments but guess what, they dont allow it either. I'm not petty enough to press the report button, but this is a GAA forum.

• Advertisement

I am guessing you are not a fan ?

It is everything to do with being a moderator. Everybody has a responsibility to moderate themselves.

After Hours is an area where I would expect to see such comments but guess what, they dont allow it either. I'm not petty enough to press the report button, but this is a GAA forum.

Report away, I have an opinion, I made it, you don't like it, thats your opinion.

Not a fan of what exactly?

You appeared over on the Mayo forum, 2 posters didn't like what you posted, so maybe you should have moderated yourself there and not posted what you did.

Report away, I have an opinion, I made it, you don't like it, thats your opinion.

Not a fan of what exactly?

You appeared over on the Mayo forum, 2 posters didn't like what you posted, so maybe you should have moderated yourself there and not posted what you did.

Its not an opinion, it is personal comments on an active court case where the sentence is pending. And its not just posted once either. Like you have been told already by several people here, its also irrelevant to the thread.

As regards my post in the Mayo forum ?! A Thread about Mayo in the GAA thread ? YOU didnt like it. Where I posted about a good game it was ? Is it closed to people who are from Mayo or something ?

You need to get over yourself and give it up when you are wrong and you are wrong for repeatedly discussing something that is an active court case in a GAA thread, just because you dont like the person or were upset with the outcome of a club championship game. Seriously.

Its not an opinion, it is personal comments on an active court case where the sentence is pending. And its not just posted once either. Like you have been told already by several people here, its also irrelevant to the thread.

As regards my post in the Mayo forum ?! A Thread about Mayo in the GAA thread ? YOU didnt like it. Where I posted about a good game it was ? Is it closed to people who are from Mayo or something ?

You need to get over yourself and give it up when you are wrong and you are wrong for repeatedly discussing something that is an active court case in a GAA thread, just because you dont like the person or were upset with the outcome of a club championship game. Seriously.

LOL, your funny. I posted 3 days ago on it and your still banging on, bit sensitive???
    Re the Mayo post, look again, it was gloating, nothing short of it. It good to win with dignity.

Its an opinion. If you don't like them, ignore them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Is it definitely conolly what he was talking about

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Alright let's leave the personal lives of players out of this discussion or the thread will be closed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement