Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club Championships

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Got Galway prediction wrong, fair play to Port, thought it'd be a while before I would see them winning a county champ especially after last couple of years

Seemed a decent game, 7 points prob a bit flattering judging by GBFM commentary anyway, but goals win games as they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

THFC wrote: »
    It's not a daft thing to say at all, much has been made of Corofin's demise over the past few years, they're a shadow of the team that won Connacht 4/5 years ago. The only thing that'll stop Brigid's winning Connacht again this year is themselves.

The results would say different and any Corofin side that comes out of Galway are always difficult to beat and its unlikely that will be any different this year.
    Gerry91 wrote: »
    Castlebar played well I thought yesterday in horrendous conditions, could well beat Corofin IMO but Brigid's will win Connacht for me too!

Put your money where your mouth is as you will get good odds on Castlebar to win that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

St Vincents will play Ballymun Kickhams in the Dublin senior football final next Sunday after both teams won their semis comfortably tonight over St Jude's and Ballyboden respectively.

Put your money where your mouth is as you will get good odds on Castlebar to win that game.

Never said they will just they could.

Both are coming in on fairly similar form, both hammered all round them more or less in their respective county championship, with both also getting the token "scrappy" win- in Corofin's case the semi v Milltown, Castlebar's was yesterday

Think Castlebar have all round a better looking 15 on paper right now, but that doesn't count for a lot and Corofin have the experience factor. It'll be a very tight game, could well be a sluggish low scoring affair as a lot of matches this time of the year tend to be, given weather/ground conditions and so on

Barry Moran could well lord it at mid again and with good support from the roving Douglas and Feeney, Corofin may well find it hard to win primary possesion

I might actually throw a few quid on them if they're decent odds now you say it as it wouldn't surprise me if they bet them at all. Have watched both this year and Castlebar impressed me more I must say

Agree with THFC Brigid's will most likely win Connacht, 3 in a row now and they simply have the best team in it

An Citeog wrote: »
    St Vincents will play Ballymun Kickhams in the Dublin senior football final next Sunday after both teams won their semis comfortably tonight over St Jude's and Ballyboden respectively.

The first game you mentioned was a quarter I think, and are Brigid's not still there?

EDIT- You're correct my apologies, came up on my twitter feed Vincents game was a quarter :/

How likely is it we have the same 4 semi-finallists again this year?

Got to be a fairly decent chance surely, with Ballymun maybe least likely given Vins and Portlaoise won't be all that easy turnover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

The first game you mentioned was a quarter I think, and are Brigid's not still there?

EDIT- You're correct my apologies, came up on my twitter feed Vincents game was a quarter :/

Both games tonight were semis...Ballymun v Vins final now.

Both games tonight were semis...Ballymun v Vins final now.

Ballymun will be favourites I expect?

How likely is it we have the same 4 semi-finallists again this year?

Got to be a fairly decent chance surely, with Ballymun maybe least likely given Vins and Portlaoise won't be all that easy turnover?

Just after checking the odds Ballymun,Dr Crokes,Crossmaglen are all favourties to retain their provincial titles while Corofin are favourites for Connacht.

Just after checking the odds Ballymun,Dr Crokes,Crossmaglen are all favourties to retain their provincial titles while Corofin are favourites for Connacht.

Bit surprised by that considering they will have to beat Castlebar AND Brigids to win it..they been going well or something? TG4 neglected to show any of the Galway final.

• Advertisement

Bit surprised by that considering they will have to beat Castlebar AND Brigids to win it..they been going well or something? TG4 neglected to show any of the Galway final.

Because they hammered Salthill.

However Salthill were not near as good as last year and only scraped through every game even losing the first round. Wasn't half as big a deal as made out

But you can only beat what's in front of you, and I can see why they'd be made faves in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Because they hammered Salthill.

However Salthill were not near as good as last year and only scraped through every game even losing the first round. Wasn't half as big a deal as made out

But you can only beat what's in front of you, and I can see why they'd be made faves in fairness

You can? in fairness i think the current All Ireland champions should be favourites.

You can? in fairness i think the current All Ireland champions should be favourites.

As do I, try reading my previous posts there

I'd have Brigid's favourites, but I see where the bookies are coming from in fairness, not all that difficult understand

As do I, try reading my previous posts there

I'd have Brigid's favourites, but I see where the bookies are coming from in fairness, not all that difficult understand

I wasn't questioning who you previously tipped!

You now claim Corofin made favourites isn't difficult understand, well i'm sure many including myself would disagree.

1) Current All Ireland champions
    2) Won the last three Connacht titles
    3) Bet Corofin in the last two games
    4) Will be at home to Corofin if they face them
    5) Play the Leitrim champs St Marys in the semi final compared to Corofin who have to face Castlebar

I wasn't questioning who you previously tipped!

You now claim Corofin made favourites isn't difficult understand, well i'm sure many including myself would disagree.

1) Current All Ireland champions
    2) Won the last three Connacht titles
    3) Bet Corofin in the last two games
    4) Will be at home to Corofin if they face them
    5) Play the Leitrim champs St Marys in the semi final compared to Corofin who have to face Castlebar

They breezed through Galway though which will have the bookies on alert. THFC made the valid point though that breezing through galway isn't all that great an achievement.

I'd say the same about Mayo tbh- which Castlebar did bar Sunday!

They breezed through Galway though which will have the bookies on alert. THFC made the valid point though that breezing through galway isn't all that great an achievement.

I'd say the same about Mayo tbh- which Castlebar did bar Sunday!

Held on with 14 men against Milltown and avoided Tuam stars who beat them last year. Yes they did hammer Salthill in final but so did Brigids last year. I don't agree with the point THFC made in fairness Corofin and Killererin got very close to winning Connacht titles in 2010,2011 no club side in Mayo has got that close in the last five years.

As for the Connacht betting very little between the top two in Connacht but punters clearly have placed plenty of cash on the Galway side i suppose its the same in the AI race when they have Dr Crokes as favorites when really the likes of Crossmaglen,Brigids,Ballymun should be shorter odds than them.

Held on with 14 men against Milltown and avoided Tuam stars who beat them last year. Yes they did hammer Salthill in final but so did Brigids last year. I don't agree with the point THFC made in fairness Corofin and Killererin got very close to winning Connacht titles in 2010,2011 no club side in Mayo has got that close in the last five years.

As for the Connacht betting very little between the top two in Connacht but punters clearly have placed plenty of cash on the Galway side i suppose its the same in the AI race when they have Dr Crokes as favorites when really the likes of Crossmaglen,Brigids,Ballymun should be shorter odds than them.

I agree with you on the line on Corofin, think the bookies are off there, putting too much weight on the Galway c/ship.

On the bolded bit however I disagree...I think the bookies have this one fairly spot on. Crokes have improved from last couple of years, guys like Fionn Fitzgerald are stronger and have a year of Senior intercounty football under the belt, they have Pat Flanagan training them who is a serious county standard trainer...so I think they are justifiably favourites right now, whether they win it or not remains to be seen, but I can definitely see the logic there. There is nothing to touch them in Munster so they can prepare themselves with the AI semi in mind, whereas the Ulster club c/ship will surely provide Cross with a few potential stumbling blocks, although they are rightly favourites to come through it.

Ballymun will have a tough battle to win Dublin I'd say, might shade it over Vincents, but a tight game to call..that's why they aren't higher up the market, that may change after Sunday or if they get over the 1st round in Leinster the Sunday after against Lomans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I agree with you on the line on Corofin, think the bookies are off there, putting too much weight on the Galway c/ship.

On the bolded bit however I disagree...I think the bookies have this one fairly spot on. Crokes have improved from last couple of years, guys like Fionn Fitzgerald are stronger and have a year of Senior intercounty football under the belt, they have Pat Flanagan training them who is a serious county standard trainer...so I think they are justifiably favourites right now, whether they win it or not remains to be seen, but I can definitely see the logic there. There is nothing to touch them in Munster so they can prepare themselves with the AI semi in mind, whereas the Ulster club c/ship will surely provide Cross with a few potential stumbling blocks, although they are rightly favourites to come through it.

Ballymun will have a tough battle to win Dublin I'd say, might shade it over Vincents, but a tight game to call..that's why they aren't higher up the market, that may change after Sunday or if they get over the 1st round in Leinster the Sunday after against Lomans.

What are keel like in the junior in kerry?and where is it?

They play the cork junior champs ,in munster,St colums(alan o connor)mtichestown (shane beston,cork junior or Glenbower (seamus harnedy and joe deane).

What are keel like in the junior in kerry?and where is it?

They play the cork junior champs ,in munster,St colums(alan o connor)mtichestown (shane beston,cork junior or Glenbower (seamus harnedy and joe deane).

Keel are based in Boolteens on the road between Castlemaine and Inch.

They are a decent outfit, were underdogs in the Kerry final but won with a last minute goal, somewhat fortuitously I've been told.

• Advertisement

Keel are based in Boolteens on the road between Castlemaine and Inch.

They are a decent outfit, were underdogs in the Kerry final but won with a last minute goal, somewhat fortuitously I've been told.
    Thanks v much lad.

Any big names past or current minor u21 senior?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Dr Crokes were favourites for the All Ireland this time last year also. Improvement or not i'm not sure are they justifiably favourites right now and to be honest they will need to improve or it will be another AI semi final exit for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Dr Crokes were favourites for the All Ireland this time last year also. Improvement or not i'm not sure are they justifiably favourites right now and to be honest they will need to improve or it will be another AI semi final exit for them.

There's nothing to disagree with in the post you quoted from a bookmaking POV. What ciarraithuaidh said is exactly correct.

The outright market is not making a bald assertion that Crokes are better than Crossmaglen et al. Ballymun aren't even in the Leinster Championship yet, Crossmaglen and Brigid's have a tougher path to the All Ireland series.

A team's odds of winning a competition outright are a function of the accumulation of their odds to win every game they have to play to do so. Because Crokes' path to the final is shorter than that of some and easier than that of others their odds of winning it out are the shortest of the challengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

keane2097 wrote: »
    There's nothing to disagree with in the post you quoted from a bookmaking POV. What ciarraithuaidh said is exactly correct.

The outright market is not making a bald assertion that Crokes are better than Crossmaglen et al. Ballymun aren't even in the Leinster Championship yet, Crossmaglen and Brigid's have a tougher path to the All Ireland series.

A team's odds of winning a competition outright are a function of the accumulation of their odds to win every game they have to play to do so. Because Crokes' path to the final is shorter than that of some and easier than that of others their odds of winning it out are the shortest of the challengers.

It also depends on the amount of money staked on the teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

keane2097 wrote: »

You have a point about Ballymun however if they win a strong very competitive Dublin championship its hard to see who will stop them in Leinster. Crossmaglen will get the odd tough game in Ulster but its unlikely they will get beaten either and its doubtful if Brigid's have a tougher path to the All Ireland series.

As regular punter that keeps a eye out for value bets i think Dr Crokes All Ireland outright odds are over priced and while they should win on Sunday even the odds against the Cork champions really stand out. (Dr Crokes 1/10 Castlehaven 6/1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    It also depends on the amount of money staked on the teams.

Not to a great extent on a future like this where the market is pretty small. In any case, oddschecker has Crokes as joint third most backed team along with Vincents and Portlaoise.

• Advertisement

You have a point about Ballymun however if they win a strong very competitive Dublin championship its hard to see who will stop them in Leinster. Crossmaglen will get the odd tough game in Ulster but its unlikely they will get beaten either and its doubtful if Brigid's have a tougher path to the All Ireland series.

As regular punter that keeps a eye out for value bets i think Dr Crokes All Ireland outright odds are over priced and while they should win on Sunday even the odds against the Cork champions really stand out. (Dr Crokes 1/10 Castlehaven 6/1)

IF Ballymun win, yes they will be favourites to win Leinster...but may I add, Moorefield, Portlaoise and even Summerhill are no joke and the winners of the probable Portlaoise v Moorefield Semi final will be battle hardened..and this better class of opponent than Crokes will face, as Keane said, is why Crokes are currently favourites.

I've already stated I think Cross will come out of Ulster again, but I definitely wouldn't be taking Ballinderry lightly..they are a serious outfit, very good coaching staff and they have a recent AI title under their belts aswell, they are no mugs..probably represent the value in the Ulster market at 4/1 actually.

Dr Crokes 1/10 Castlehaven 6/1

Kilcoo are probably around the same level as Castlehaven yet they are half the odds to beat Crossmaglen.
    IF Ballymun win, yes they will be favourites to win Leinster...but may I add, Moorefield, Portlaoise and even Summerhill are no joke and the winners of the probable Portlaoise v Moorefield Semi final will be battle hardened..and this better class of opponent than Crokes will face, as Keane said, is why Crokes are currently favourites.

I've already stated I think Cross will come out of Ulster again, but I definitely wouldn't be taking Ballinderry lightly..they are a serious outfit, very good coaching staff and they have a recent AI title under their belts aswell, they are no mugs..probably represent the value in the Ulster market at 4/1 actually.
    Ballinderry AI was in 2002 is any of those players still playing? having watched the Monaghan final they do well to get over Scotstown in Clones. The most likely Ulster final will probably be St Galls v Crossmaglen.

If Ballymun win Dublin the biggest challenge they will likely face in Leinster is in the final against probably Portlaoise as the Dublin championship has stronger sides than Summerhill or St. Loman's.

The Limerick,Clare champions will be no mugs either and remember Kilmurry-Ibrickane pushed Crokes all the way last year.

Kilcoo are probably around the same level as Castlehaven yet they are half the odds to beat Crossmaglen.

Ballinderry AI was in 2002 is any of those players still playing? having watched the Monaghan final they do well to get over Scotstown in Clones. The most likely Ulster final will probably be St Galls v Crossmaglen.

If Ballymun win Dublin the biggest challenge they will likely face in Leinster is in the final against probably Portlaoise as the Dublin championship has stronger sides than Summerhill or St. Loman's.

The Limerick,Clare champions will be no mugs either and remember Kilmurry-Ibrickane pushed Crokes all the way last year.

Not this year...Clare champions will be weary from their club c/ship which is only at 1/4 final stage yet and Quilty are already knocked out.v

Drom-Broadford are Limerick champions and face a tough game in Ballinacourty this weekend, but even if they get over that they are nowhere near Crokes level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Not this year...Clare champions will be weary from their club c/ship which is only at 1/4 final stage yet and Quilty are already knocked out.v

Drom-Broadford are Limerick champions and face a tough game in Ballinacourty this weekend, but even if they get over that they are nowhere near Crokes level.

As for as I know Drom/Broadford are missing their centre back due to his honeymoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

As for as I know Drom/Broadford are missing their centre back due to his honeymoon.

Women! They've the country ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bcb1

Lads, I don't see where all this love for Cross winning Ulster is coming from, have any of you seen who we have missing or not full fit yet from the team that played against St Brigids? For the record, Paul Kernan, James Morgan, Oisin McConville and Jamie Clarke will not play any football for us this year. David McKenna was in the States all summer and is nowhere near fit. He is one of those big unit players who need about 3 pre-seasons a year to stay fit(I should know!!!) There are 1 or 2 who would be there or thereabouts but are really firing on all cylinders so to have us close to being contenders is way off mark.

If Ballinderry get over Scotstown they will come out that side of the draw to make the final. I have a sneaking suspicion that Glenswilly will cause an upset and beat St Galls on Sunday and if they do they will make the final as they would be well ahead of the other 2 teams on that side of things. I reckon it will be a Ballinderry Glenswilly final with Ballinderry sneaking it on experience.

As for the rest, Crokes will win the Munster at a canter, Brigids will be tested by Corofin and I think they could be beaten but their experience should see them through and Ballymun will win Leinster if they beat St Vincents but not by that much. The Crokes will win the AI

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Thanks v much lad.

Any big names past or current minor u21 senior?

Keel wouldn't have no current Kerry player,Gary Sayers would probably be their best player,I think he would have an All Ireland u21 medal from 08,Liam Sheehan would be another player to have played Minor and Junior for Kerry.

bcb1 wrote: »
    Lads, I don't see where all this love for Cross winning Ulster is coming from, have any of you seen who we have missing or not full fit yet from the team that played against St Brigids? For the record, Paul Kernan, James Morgan, Oisin McConville and Jamie Clarke will not play any football for us this year. David McKenna was in the States all summer and is nowhere near fit. He is one of those big unit players who need about 3 pre-seasons a year to stay fit(I should know!!!) There are 1 or 2 who would be there or thereabouts but are really firing on all cylinders so to have us close to being contenders is way off mark.

If Ballinderry get over Scotstown they will come out that side of the draw to make the final. I have a sneaking suspicion that Glenswilly will cause an upset and beat St Galls on Sunday and if they do they will make the final as they would be well ahead of the other 2 teams on that side of things. I reckon it will be a Ballinderry Glenswilly final with Ballinderry sneaking it on experience.

As for the rest, Crokes will win the Munster at a canter, Brigids will be tested by Corofin and I think they could be beaten but their experience should see them through and Ballymun will win Leinster if they beat St Vincents but not by that much. The Crokes will win the AI

That lad in bold will never play for you again. Cross have a better pick than most and their experience alone should carry them through Ulster however they are likely facing another AI semi final exit as the Leinster winner will be stronger than any team Cross will face in Ulster. Didn't you also tip Crokes for the All Ireland last year? i tipped the Leinster winner to go all the way and looking at odds i'll probably place my money on the leinster winner again.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bcb1

That lad in bold will never play for you again. Cross have a better pick than most and their experience alone should carry them through Ulster however they are likely facing another AI semi final exit as the Leinster winner will be stronger than any team Cross will face in Ulster. Didn't you also tip Crokes for the All Ireland last year? i tipped the Leinster winner to go all the way and looking at odds i'll probably place my money on the leinster winner again.

Whether Oisin will or will not play again doesn't mean he is a lose. The playrs we have missing are equivalent in terms of importance to us than say Brosnan, Cooper and kieran o leary to the Crokes or Mannion, Frankie dolan and sesan Kilbride to St Brigids. If either of these teams had these players missing no one would expect them to win their provincial titles. They would struggle to win their county titles. Thankfully for us Armagh is very weak and we can win it without really stretching ourselves at the minute. Outside of Armagh it is a lot harder and I would be very surprised if we win it.

bcb1 wrote: »
    Whether Oisin will or will not play again doesn't mean he is a lose. The playrs we have missing are equivalent in terms of importance to us than say Brosnan, Cooper and kieran o leary to the Crokes or Mannion, Frankie dolan and sesan Kilbride to St Brigids. If either of these teams had these players missing no one would expect them to win their provincial titles. They would struggle to win their county titles. Thankfully for us Armagh is very weak and we can win it without really stretching ourselves at the minute. Outside of Armagh it is a lot harder and I would be very surprised if we win it.

Thats a far point but one would still expect Cross to win their Ulster games by a few points compared to comfortable wins if those players were available.

Also Brigids have been missing half a dozen players from last years team if they go on to win another provincial title it will prove strength in depth and experience are key ingredients to success.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

have a small interest in the st marys/ sean finns vs miltown game this weekend in the intermediate football champ in munster.. miltown without centre back for 12 months due to a ban.. and looking at st marys scoring 4.17 in limerick final there can only be one winner.

Keel wouldn't have no current Kerry player,Gary Sayers would probably be their best player,I think he would have an All Ireland u21 medal from 08,Liam Sheehan would be another player to have played Minor and Junior for Kerry.
    Thanks for that lad.

Crossmaglen played their get out of jail card already? were losing 1-7 to 0-6 with around 5 mins to go but it finished 1-7 each. Going into extra time now.

Some other results

Ulster quarter finals
    Glenswilly 1-10 St Galls 0-10
    Scotstown 0-10 Ballinderry 1-8
    Ballinagh 0-11 Roslea 1-12.

Munster quarter finals
    Ballinacourty 2-7 Dromcollogher-Broadford 0-11
    Dr Crokes 1-11 Castlehaven 0-8

Leinster club first round
    Longford Slashers 3-13 Rathnew 0-10

Dublin final 47min Ballymun Kickhams 0-14 St. Vincent's 0-11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

A couple of observations on the Crokes v Castlehaven game:
    1) Castlehaven seemed content to keep it to a single digit defeat as they showed no willingness to attack at all
    2) You can do more or less what you like to Colm Cooper on the pitch- he was getting slaps all day
    3) Crokes wont win an All Ireland club as there are too many players on their team who are unwilling to 'mix-it'

Dublin final going to extra-time two injury time points from Vincents and a late goal Ballymun 0-16 St Vincents 1-13

Kilcoo 2-9 v Crossmaglen 1-12 (replay next Sunday)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Cork County SHC Final
    Middleton 2-15 Sarsfields 2-13

Clare County SHC Semi Finals
    Sixmilebridge 1-11 Clonlara 0-11
    Newmarket On Fergus 0-15 Ballyea 1-07

Ballymun Kickhams 0-20 St. Vincent's 1-17 replay next Wednesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

Oulart beat Clara, offalys k/k beat laois camross handy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Ballymun Kickhams 0-20 St. Vincent's 1-17 replay next Sunday.

Replay is on Wednesday night. Diarmuid Connolly free from about 40 yards with the last kick of the game to level it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RebelAbu32

Munster Intermediate Club Football

miltown 3-11 v 0-7 st marys sean finns

miltown v currow in semi final

Munster Intermediate Club Hurling

Ballina 3-19 v 0-13 St Brendans

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RebelAbu32

Whitegate 0-18 v Youghal 0-18

De La Salle 4-6 v Ballyporeen 2-12

• Advertisement

RebelAbu32 wrote: »

Whitegate 0-18 v Youghal 0-18

De La Salle 4-6 v Ballyporeen 2-12
    de la salle draw good result for clyda,another wk off.

Meant to play next week.

Now another week prepare as they had a fw injuries.

Advertisement